Lutz future?

With Dewhurst coming back healthy next year and Jones/Wilderness coming this whole 3 point jacking, no defense is going to change. It has to or we won't win 10 games.

Exactlyā€¦ Iā€™ve said this once but Iā€™ll say it againā€¦

Night in and night out Bobbyā€™s style could work in the olā€™CUSA. It was runā€™nā€™gun and his schemes worked. Defense was an afterthought in that league, yea every team usually had a stopper but no real team defense. Remember the scores? Teams would lose and still drop 85. The A10 is a different beast. Iā€™m from VA, been to UofRā€™s basketball camp, seen hard gritty D, and was taught it my entire life b/c ā€œanybody can shoot the damn ball, the hard part is stopping someone from doing it.ā€ Without D in the A10, youā€™re a one trick pony. Other teams know if they can lock us down for just 2/3rds of a game defensively theyā€™ll atleast be able to shoot it out with us for the other third. Quick to the point, this league is defensive minded and always has been, thatā€™s how bball is played in the northeast, its a hard nosed style that these schools embody. Without any defense our teams has been getting punched in the mouth and then swinging aimlessly and not connecting. Lutz has defensive schemes but in no way is a defensive coachā€¦ not his problem, coaches generally have a main focus, thatā€™s not his. So is it time for him to goā€¦ maybeā€¦ possiblyā€¦ he can run an offense aslong as teams buy into it and weā€™ve seen that at its peak, so maybe that happens next yearā€¦ who knows? But I highly doubt the defense changes much outside of a defensive stopper like Basden enrolls here. Itā€™s somewhat odd for me to say it, b/c I like Lutz, I still wear my ā€œGot Lutz?ā€ shirt, I love his fire (although it seems to have diminished over the years), his enthusiasm, but itā€™s probably best with our new league affiliation to let him go at the end of his contract. The A10 can be a coach killerā€¦ and itā€™s got him lined up in its sights.

[QUOTE=49erFan1;216114]With Dewhurst coming back healthy next year and Jones/Wilderness coming this whole 3 point jacking, no defense is going to change. It has to or we wonā€™t win 10 games.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? Do you really believe this? No defense and jacking threes are the staples of Lutzā€™s philosophy! Itā€™s been that way since Lutz arrived and will not change until he leaves. The optimism by some of the posters here is just astounding.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;216117]Night in and night out Bobbyā€™s style could work in the olā€™CUSA. It was runā€™nā€™gun and his schemes worked. Defense was an afterthought in that league, yea every team usually had a stopper but no real team defense. [/QUOTE]

I think Cincinnati, St. Louis, UAB, Marquette, and others would strongly disagree with that statement. I do.

[QUOTE=49er1;216087]Metro, (and others, if you care to reply)
This is a serious question: if not Lutz, who? If you could hire anyone else that we could realistically get, who would you want it be? And what are the reasons you would want them, in contrast to what Lutz offers?
(Sorry this sounds like questions on an exam, but Iā€™m honestly serious and curious as to what you and others have to say and whether it has thought, research, and substance to it.
I donā€™t want to fire Mike Pratt and get Hal Wissel, EVER again. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Iā€™ve been on record numerous times saying we should go after Greg Marshal at Winthrop, I think they are 19-3 right now (weak opponents I know, but he dominates every year- schools of equal resources and conf affilitation) , and he took them from roadkill to one of the premiere mid majors in the NCAA.

If not him, I am sure a young fierce assistant from Florida, Duke, Carolina, etc would be interested in our job.

[QUOTE=NinerUpNorth;216132]Are you kidding me? Do you really believe this? No defense and jacking threes are the staples of Lutzā€™s philosophy! Itā€™s been that way since Lutz arrived and will not change until he leaves. The optimism by some of the posters here is just astounding.[/QUOTE]

None of those guys is an outside shooter. Try to stay with the point and you wonā€™t get so riled up.

[QUOTE=metro;216137]Iā€™ve been on record numerous times saying we should go after Greg Marshal at Winthrop, I think they are 19-3 right now (weak opponents I know, but he dominates every year- schools of equal resources and conf affilitation) , and he took them from roadkill to one of the premiere mid majors in the NCAA.

If not him, I am sure a young fierce assistant from Florida, Duke, Carolina, etc would be interested in our job.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Gregg Marshall is a good choice, but would he come? Anyone else know of other specific NAMES who would be realistically obtainable that we can banter about?

[QUOTE=49er1;216142]Thanks. Gregg Marshall is a good choice, but would he come? Anyone else know of other specific NAMES who would be realistically obtainable that we can banter about?[/QUOTE]

I think he would come. Word has it, he lobbied hard when Lutz was interviewing with UT. I think he makes $150k per year at Winthrop.

I donā€™t think a BCS school would chase himā€¦yet. Its all moot anyway, Lutz isnā€™t going anywhere if I had to guess.

[QUOTE=metro;216147]I think he would come. Word has it, he lobbied hard when Lutz was interviewing with UT. I think he makes $150k per year at Winthrop.

I donā€™t think a BCS school would chase himā€¦yet. Its all moot anyway, Lutz isnā€™t going anywhere if I had to guess.[/QUOTE]

Marshallā€™s contract is also guaranteed for 10 years.

Butch Pierre (LSU longtime asst, former Niner Assā€™t) or Orlando Early (HC at LA-Monroe, former Alabama asst, former Niner assā€™t) are two guys I would talk to. Both may not be interested if Lutz was shown the door, however.

I agree with you though, I donā€™t think Bobby is going anywhere until at least his contract is up. At some point next year, it has to be sorted out.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;216157]Marshallā€™s contract is also guaranteed for 10 years.

Butch Pierre (LSU longtime asst, former Niner Assā€™t) or Orlando Early (HC at LA-Monroe, former Alabama asst, former Niner assā€™t) are two guys I would talk to. Both may not be interested if Lutz was shown the door, however.

I agree with you though, I donā€™t think Bobby is going anywhere until at least his contract is up. At some point next year, it has to be sorted out.[/QUOTE]

Lefty,
if and when we ever enter a coach search, Iā€™d like to see someone never affiliated with our program and young (30ā€™s).

(I know that runs opposite of my Ath dept theory, where Iā€™d like to see a mix of big thinking BCS trained types and UNCC alum running the show, as opposed to the current strategy of low paid small school admin and hardly any alum.)

I think Cincinnati, St. Louis, UAB, Marquette, and others would strongly disagree with that statement. I do.

Thanks for making my point (if you read the entire post)ā€¦ Weā€™ve always struggled with St. Louis and UAB (b/c they did play D more aligned with an A10 team)ā€¦ Cincy was more about overtaking you with talent, nothing to do with defense b/c we could still score 80 some on them and lose. Marquette might be your only glimmer of hope out of that group.

[QUOTE=metro;215919]bump

nice call[/QUOTE]
a lot of free time on ur hands there Metroā€¦haha

Posts #84 & #85 in this thread are DOBA.

FWIW, Iā€™m sensing a desire to adjust to a different styled team by the coaching staff this year. But if you look at the roster filled with dudes that have pedigrees of long-range shooting/no defense, youā€™ll see that this is a really tough group to work with. With next yearā€™s crop of players, we [I]might [/I]begin to notice a departure from lutz-ball.

Metro and others have said that Lutz would make a great AD. Iā€™d agree, but Iā€™d also say that there are differences between the duties of a head coach and an assistant coach. Itā€™s possible to have a terrific assistant coach that might suck at being a head coach with all the administrative garbage that needs to be dealt with. Itā€™s also possible to have an old fart head coach that excels at managing a team, but canā€™t run around in sweat pants running practice drills anymore. Judging by how well EJ has played this year in the post, I think the new assistants should work out well with the new post players next year. And perhaps Lutz can go back to head coaching a somewhat decent team without the chuck-and-duck nonsense (hey, itā€™s possible). But thatā€™s just my own opinion.

I just have zero faith in the administration to pick up a decent head coach. None. Iā€™d imagine a scenario where Richard Pitino would interview for the job and thereā€™d be all kinds of rejoicing at the prospect of Rick Pitinoā€™s wunderkind son turning the Charlotte basketball program into something special. Then the UNC system will refuse to hire him at a decent salary and Dubois would comment about how the Charlotte fanbase is filled with dunderheads that wants to throw away money at coaching salaries rather than research and heā€™ll bring up the whole ā€œ13th out of 16thā€ thing.

Charlotte would then overpay to hire a Tar Heel assistant or some dude with a PhD to drive the program into the ground. And then when the fans get pissed, the administration will say ā€œWell, you WANTED us to overpay a coach!ā€. Something like that. I just canā€™t imagine the administration taking the simple task of hiring a coach and not completely screwing it up.

Are you kidding me? Do you really believe this? No defense and jacking threes are the staples of Lutz's philosophy! It's been that way since Lutz arrived and will not change until he leaves.

NinerUpNorth, I tend to agree with you. Lutz has never shown the willingness or ability to coach any other style of play. Next year we will still have Lee, Ian, Phaler, and Carlos to jack up 3ā€™s. Just because some of the recruits coming in arenā€™t shooters doesnā€™t mean Lutz will all of a sudden do something he has never done before. Lutz is always going to keep his stable of 3 shooters on his roster, you can believe that. So unless he does a 180 degree turn in his coaching philosophy, he will always make the 3 pointer a major major part of his gameplans.

Also, for years I have been saying that he needs to bring in someone who is truly knowlegeable in defense, by either hiring them as part of his staff or to give his coaches and himself clinics. Obviously this has never happened because over the years we have seen more or less the same fundamental defensive lapses and deficiencies each year. So, by just adding better defensive players to the roster will not make the team defense better. The necessary fundamentals, techniques, and strategies must be taught and gone over repeatedly.

[QUOTE=metro;216160]Lefty,
if and when we ever enter a coach search, Iā€™d like to see someone never affiliated with our program and young (30ā€™s).

(I know that runs opposite of my Ath dept theory, where Iā€™d like to see a mix of big thinking BCS trained types and UNCC alum running the show, as opposed to the current strategy of low paid small school admin and hardly any alum.)[/QUOTE]

I kind of agree about leaving the 49er family for the head coach. I would consider 2 approaches. First approach, I would probably grab the top guy at Gonzaga. If our program is going to be succesful I believe we have to learn Gonzagaā€™s recruiting strategy. Wisconsin and Utah are also good programs to maybe pursue as I believe these teams have to excel without being able to out recruit other schools. In the A10, I do not believe we will out recruit anybody. So we have to be much better evealuators of talent. Find those diamonds in the rough, or guys who simply were overlooked.

Second approach, get a guy who has been in a one of the top coaching trees (Dean Smith, Coach K, Calhoun, Pitino). Iā€™m not sure if the coaches in the 49er family have as much exposure to coaching styles, techniques, etc. I think Buzz Peterson and Bob Bender are good examples.

How 'bout we get someone like the guy that took over at Tx A&M after coach Wat left. He has taken that program out of the ground where Wat left it, to a possible No. 1 seed come March. WOW!

[QUOTE=EJNiner;216262]a lot of free time on ur hands there Metroā€¦haha[/QUOTE]
not really, I was in an argument w/ fortee and it took one click to ā€œsearch all posts by userā€

[QUOTE=49er1;216324]How 'bout we get someone like the guy that took over at Tx A&M after coach Wat left. He has taken that program out of the ground where Wat left it, to a possible No. 1 seed come March. WOW![/QUOTE]
Got $800,000 worth of [URL=http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ncaa/article/0,2777,DRMN_23932_5261448,00.html][B]guaranteed money[/B][/URL]?

I know this is totally situational butā€¦

VCU hired Anthony Grant, a top assistant from Florida after their national championship (keeping in mind a coaching tree Pitino>Donovan>Grant) and theyā€™ve made the CAA their babyā€™s momma (minus Hoftra somehow). Granted theyā€™re an upperclassman team for the most part, it seemed to have worked there. Iā€™m from that area and VCUā€™s facilities are no where near ours (they do have a 5 y/o arena they play in), plus A10>CAA so we have more to work with so why not?

Here would be my list

1. Greg Marshall. Local connections are crucial. He has them plus he has a good reputation as being an excellent coach. That would create local buzz. Heā€™s obviously a winner and he will be a great coach no matter where he goes.

2. Mike Montgomery. This guy may be hard to get to because of his national reputation. He struggled in Golden State but did better then Calapari with a worse team. He can flat out coach. His Stanford program is still winning. Heā€™ll get us national pub. The only negative is that he has West Coast connections and doesnā€™t have enough in state.

3. Steve Wojo. Young guy with good connections. The word is that he is an excellent big man coach, very well schooled and extremely active. His Duke pedigree would help us get fans locally interested. IMO could be as good as Capel.

My observations: Any one wonder why Dan Monson failed at Minnesota? It wasnā€™t that he couldnā€™t coach. It was that he couldnā€™t get the athletes necessary to get the job done. Local connections are crucial. That is why I would be hesitant to hire a guy from the west coach, especially an assistant. I would make one exception. I think Eric Musselman of the Sacramento Kings would be an outstanding college coach. A disciplinarian and a defensive minded coach, his Kings like other NBA teams have tuned him out but a college team wouldnā€™t do that. Iā€™m not convinced on Bob McKillop. His teams are good year in and year out but not dominant. I personally believe that coaches at lower levels should be dominate. The athletes are about the same, the only difference isā€¦the coach. Something about Butch Pierre just doesnā€™t excite me. I donā€™t feel that LSU is a very disciplined team. They have tons of talent and yet never make a huge splash. I feel that they should do better. I just donā€™t see Butch Pierre as being the right guy for our program. Orlando Early ditto. I was never high on Mark Gotfried at Alabama. Iā€™m still not sold. I wouldnā€™t mind grabbing an assistant from Florida. VCU did it and it turned out pretty good. Also wouldnā€™t be opposed to look to UNC for an assistant. Iā€™m just not sold on their staff. They get the best recruits every year. They should win. I think the secondary break just works for that type of program. I also donā€™t remember too many of Roy Williamsā€™ assistants doing great things. Maybe Iā€™m wrong and just biased.

1 Like
Here would be my list
  1. Greg Marshall. Local connections are crucial. He has them plus he has a good reputation as being an excellent coach. That would create local buzz. Heā€™s obviously a winner and he will be a great coach no matter where he goes.

I donā€™t know about his ambitions, so canā€™t comment.

2. Mike Montgomery. This guy may be hard to get to because of his national reputation. He struggled in Golden State but did better then Calapari with a worse team. He can flat out coach. His Stanford program is still winning. He'll get us national pub. The only negative is that he has West Coast connections and doesn't have enough in state.

Not sure you could even get him to move. He is a true Bay Area person. More likely he takes over Santa Clara than move. Plus, donā€™t know what toll the Golden Warriors job took on him. He might want more of a laid back atmosphere with no pressure from fans.

[Quote]
3. Steve Wojo. Young guy with good connections. The word is that he is an excellent big man coach, very well schooled and extremely active. His Duke pedigree would help us get fans locally interested. IMO could be as good as Capel.[/quote]

Again, I donā€™t know if Wojo would even consider Charlotte. He was in the running for more major schoolsā€™ head coaching jobs. Plus, he is a complete enigma. Great assistant coach, but we would be a guinea pig as to how his head coaching ability pans out.

My observations: Any one wonder why Dan Monson failed at Minnesota? It wasn't that he couldn't coach. It was that he couldn't get the athletes necessary to get the job done. Local connections are crucial. That is why I would be hesitant to hire a guy from the west coach, especially an assistant. I would make one exception. I think Eric Musselman of the Sacramento Kings would be an outstanding college coach. A disciplinarian and a defensive minded coach, his Kings like other NBA teams have tuned him out but a college team wouldn't do that. I'm not convinced on Bob McKillop. His teams are good year in and year out but not dominant. I personally believe that coaches at lower levels should be dominate. The athletes are about the same, the only difference is...the coach. Something about Butch Pierre just doesn't excite me. I don't feel that LSU is a very disciplined team. They have tons of talent and yet never make a huge splash. I feel that they should do better. I just don't see Butch Pierre as being the right guy for our program. Orlando Early ditto. I was never high on Mark Gotfried at Alabama. I'm still not sold. I wouldn't mind grabbing an assistant from Florida. VCU did it and it turned out pretty good. Also wouldn't be opposed to look to UNC for an assistant. I'm just not sold on their staff. They get the best recruits every year. They should win. I think the secondary break just works for that type of program. I also don't remember too many of Roy Williams' assistants doing great things. Maybe I'm wrong and just biased.

There are alot of good assistants, but many are waiting for more glamorous jobs or they are such an enigma, we would be a guinea pig, as previously mentioned.