Lutz future?

[QUOTE=49er1;216324]How 'bout we get someone like the guy that took over at Tx A&M after coach Wat left. He has taken that program out of the ground where Wat left it, to a possible No. 1 seed come March. WOW![/QUOTE]
Got $800,000 worth of [URL=http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ncaa/article/0,2777,DRMN_23932_5261448,00.html][B]guaranteed money[/B][/URL]?

I know this is totally situational butā€¦

VCU hired Anthony Grant, a top assistant from Florida after their national championship (keeping in mind a coaching tree Pitino>Donovan>Grant) and theyā€™ve made the CAA their babyā€™s momma (minus Hoftra somehow). Granted theyā€™re an upperclassman team for the most part, it seemed to have worked there. Iā€™m from that area and VCUā€™s facilities are no where near ours (they do have a 5 y/o arena they play in), plus A10>CAA so we have more to work with so why not?

Here would be my list

1. Greg Marshall. Local connections are crucial. He has them plus he has a good reputation as being an excellent coach. That would create local buzz. Heā€™s obviously a winner and he will be a great coach no matter where he goes.

2. Mike Montgomery. This guy may be hard to get to because of his national reputation. He struggled in Golden State but did better then Calapari with a worse team. He can flat out coach. His Stanford program is still winning. Heā€™ll get us national pub. The only negative is that he has West Coast connections and doesnā€™t have enough in state.

3. Steve Wojo. Young guy with good connections. The word is that he is an excellent big man coach, very well schooled and extremely active. His Duke pedigree would help us get fans locally interested. IMO could be as good as Capel.

My observations: Any one wonder why Dan Monson failed at Minnesota? It wasnā€™t that he couldnā€™t coach. It was that he couldnā€™t get the athletes necessary to get the job done. Local connections are crucial. That is why I would be hesitant to hire a guy from the west coach, especially an assistant. I would make one exception. I think Eric Musselman of the Sacramento Kings would be an outstanding college coach. A disciplinarian and a defensive minded coach, his Kings like other NBA teams have tuned him out but a college team wouldnā€™t do that. Iā€™m not convinced on Bob McKillop. His teams are good year in and year out but not dominant. I personally believe that coaches at lower levels should be dominate. The athletes are about the same, the only difference isā€¦the coach. Something about Butch Pierre just doesnā€™t excite me. I donā€™t feel that LSU is a very disciplined team. They have tons of talent and yet never make a huge splash. I feel that they should do better. I just donā€™t see Butch Pierre as being the right guy for our program. Orlando Early ditto. I was never high on Mark Gotfried at Alabama. Iā€™m still not sold. I wouldnā€™t mind grabbing an assistant from Florida. VCU did it and it turned out pretty good. Also wouldnā€™t be opposed to look to UNC for an assistant. Iā€™m just not sold on their staff. They get the best recruits every year. They should win. I think the secondary break just works for that type of program. I also donā€™t remember too many of Roy Williamsā€™ assistants doing great things. Maybe Iā€™m wrong and just biased.

1 Like
Here would be my list
  1. Greg Marshall. Local connections are crucial. He has them plus he has a good reputation as being an excellent coach. That would create local buzz. Heā€™s obviously a winner and he will be a great coach no matter where he goes.

I donā€™t know about his ambitions, so canā€™t comment.

2. Mike Montgomery. This guy may be hard to get to because of his national reputation. He struggled in Golden State but did better then Calapari with a worse team. He can flat out coach. His Stanford program is still winning. He'll get us national pub. The only negative is that he has West Coast connections and doesn't have enough in state.

Not sure you could even get him to move. He is a true Bay Area person. More likely he takes over Santa Clara than move. Plus, donā€™t know what toll the Golden Warriors job took on him. He might want more of a laid back atmosphere with no pressure from fans.

[Quote]
3. Steve Wojo. Young guy with good connections. The word is that he is an excellent big man coach, very well schooled and extremely active. His Duke pedigree would help us get fans locally interested. IMO could be as good as Capel.[/quote]

Again, I donā€™t know if Wojo would even consider Charlotte. He was in the running for more major schoolsā€™ head coaching jobs. Plus, he is a complete enigma. Great assistant coach, but we would be a guinea pig as to how his head coaching ability pans out.

My observations: Any one wonder why Dan Monson failed at Minnesota? It wasn't that he couldn't coach. It was that he couldn't get the athletes necessary to get the job done. Local connections are crucial. That is why I would be hesitant to hire a guy from the west coach, especially an assistant. I would make one exception. I think Eric Musselman of the Sacramento Kings would be an outstanding college coach. A disciplinarian and a defensive minded coach, his Kings like other NBA teams have tuned him out but a college team wouldn't do that. I'm not convinced on Bob McKillop. His teams are good year in and year out but not dominant. I personally believe that coaches at lower levels should be dominate. The athletes are about the same, the only difference is...the coach. Something about Butch Pierre just doesn't excite me. I don't feel that LSU is a very disciplined team. They have tons of talent and yet never make a huge splash. I feel that they should do better. I just don't see Butch Pierre as being the right guy for our program. Orlando Early ditto. I was never high on Mark Gotfried at Alabama. I'm still not sold. I wouldn't mind grabbing an assistant from Florida. VCU did it and it turned out pretty good. Also wouldn't be opposed to look to UNC for an assistant. I'm just not sold on their staff. They get the best recruits every year. They should win. I think the secondary break just works for that type of program. I also don't remember too many of Roy Williams' assistants doing great things. Maybe I'm wrong and just biased.

There are alot of good assistants, but many are waiting for more glamorous jobs or they are such an enigma, we would be a guinea pig, as previously mentioned.