Lutz Live highlights

Maybe I’m missing the wrap-up somewhere in the other two threads on this subject, but here’s what I remember from last night:

[b]o Mitchell Baldwin had surgery a week ago and is recovering well

o Mississippi State agreed to play us only if we scheduled the day before Thanksgiving (November 23rd)

o We are going to play in a BCA exempt tourney (3 for 1) in either Las Vegas (UNLV) or Pittsburgh (Pitt)

o Lutz had met with all the players and the returnees are heading for the weight room (except Baldwin)

o Over the past decade, C-USA averaged 3.8 teams per NCAA, while A-10 averaged 3.4

o We only play Saint Louis once next season and it’s in Halton!

o We have been paired with 3 of the better teams in the A-10 for our mirror games - Dayton, George Washington, and Richmond[/b] (I won’t argue with that)

o We have submitted paperwork for Curtis Withers re: 2005 NBA draft; Lutz also commented on the 2 guys from GW filing for the draft, but doesn’t think either will be 1st rounders and will return for senior seasons

Anyway, that’s what I recall.

GO NINERS!!!

Thanks Run. Did he make any statements about Mitch’s injury possibly affecting his play down the stretch?

Vegas, huh? Hmmmmmmmmm…

If it’s Vegas, you can color me there. My wife will definitely tag along for that one!

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Mar 31 2005, 12:18 PM [b] Thanks Run. Did he make any statements about Mitch's injury possibly affecting his play down the stretch? [/b]
He did say that it caused Mitch to be tentative in certain aspects of his game, e.g., taking a charge, etc.
[i]Originally posted by run49er+Mar 31 2005, 12:26 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Mar 31 2005, 12:26 PM)

I guess people can listen to the tape but here’s some more of what I remember:

-He also said Mitch’s injury hurt him on defense, especially with fighting through screens.

-He pointed out that REBOUNDING down the stretch REALLY HURT US. He then talked about off-season work being focused on defense. Heavy on rebounding. Lots of drills where guys battle for the ball, anything goes. Have to get the rebound to get out of the drill. They will also work on man defense with and without the ball. Offense will come later.

-He said he hopes all of the guys stay for the summer and that most will at least be here for one summer session. Matt asked specifically about Iti, pointing out he was not here last summer. Lutz said he certainly hopes he’ll be here for workouts but can’t force anyone.

Next year sounds promising:

-De’Angelo Alexander: He said DA will be different than Eddie, Galen, and anyone we’ve had. Said he’s been very difficult to guard at practice. Can shoot it but not a great shooter. Can post up and score and has a nice mid-range game. Good defender but needs to work on it. From that, it sounds like he’s a 3 for us.

-Mullis - Plays hard, fans will love him. Like Bobby Kummer but hopefully shoots better (laughing)

-Bennett - Really feels sorry for him because of his NCAA situation. Really happy for him that he gets to play next year. Doing great in school and will probably graduate with 2 majors. I forget what he said about his game?

-Coleman and Jamison are big guys.

-Our success next year is dependant on Curtis when it all comes down to it.

I don’t know why people say it’s not a good show. I just listened and read about it. I’d say it’s packed with info. And you definitely don’t hear it anywhere else.

Will Marcus Bennett have one or two years eligibility remaining??

On the exempt tourney - I’m pretty sure Lutz said we’d be playing in either Las Vegas or Pittsburgh. Not that we would be playing UNLV and Pittsburgh but that we had the chance to play one or the other depending on which tourney we are placed in. For the ol’ RPI, I hope it’s Pitt.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Mar 31 2005, 03:14 PM [b] On the exempt tourney - I'm pretty sure Lutz said we'd be playing in either Las Vegas or Pittsburgh. Not that we would be playing UNLV and Pittsburgh but that we had the chance to play one or the other depending on which tourney we are placed in. For the ol' RPI, I hope it's Pitt. [/b]
Run, I guess I can listen to it again but my impression was that Pitt and UNLV will both play in the tournament but the host has not been determined. Either to be played in Las Vegas or Pittsburgh. He also said it will be shown on ESPNU. I think ESPN is starting to orchestrate a lot of these made for TV tournaments. They did that for ours a few years ago. They invited the teams to play. USC and Wake were among those invited.

Bennett has only 1 year.

The way he was talking, it sounded like the teams were already set but the location was still undecided. My understanding is that UNLV and Pitt. will both play in the tournament. He said the date is tentativley set for Nov. 16-18th.

please please please let it be vegas. :slight_smile: fun times. niners, nevada, nosleep, nightlife… noway i’ld miss it.

I’m exicted about next season already, the new guys sound $$$$, and the words from lutz about rebounding/defense sounds like a lightbulb has come on. definately good things.

The only thing wierd will be playing against all these teams we don’t have a real history with. i’m gonna miss the ole bearcats and uab. i’ld give the tigers a swift kick to the ding-ding if we played them again though.

Please let it be Pittsburgh. I don’t trust our guys in Sin City. Too many distractions.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Mar 31 2005, 04:20 PM [b] Please let it be Pittsburgh. I don't trust our guys in Sin City. Too many distractions. [/b]
The other teams will have those to deal with as well, except for UNLV since they deal with them all the time. They can't gamble, so what else is there to do that they can't do here?

I doubt we’ll play the host team of either tourney in the first game unless it’s a swap’em tourney or the field is loaded.

[b]or the field is loaded[/b]

I’m not holding my breath on it being loaded. Something tells me it will be UNLV, Pitt, Charlotte & 5 scrubs.

Last year’s teams - Marquette, Air Force, Illinois St, Jacksonville St, Mississippi, Penn State, SC State & Western Carolina

The BCA Invitational in Raleigh back in November included NC State, ECU, Elon, Farleigh Dickinson, New Orleans, Oregon State, Pepperdine, and Siena.

The Las Vegas Holiday Classic in December that featured Cincy and Illinois also included Longwood, Northern Iowa, Northwestern State, and Valparaiso. This wasn’t a BCA event, though.