LUTZ LIVE TONIGHT (Thurs 1/8)

The losses this year are as much on the players as they are on Lutz. They take the shots, make the passes etc. Of course he draws up the plays and sets the gameplan, but he is not on the floor actually executing.
Part of player execution is the preparation that promotes smart/efficient play. After this many years seeing the same good and bad issues despite cycles of different players, I think we have a pretty good idea what role Lutz' coaching plays.
I took his statement in a broader sense, not just this season.

I did mean this season. But even if you went further, I think it’s safe to say shooting 7% or less probably has only happened a handful of times.

It’d also be interesting to find out the last time Maryland only made 1 three pointer or only shot 7%.

[QUOTE=punkrockcowboy;375719]We are shooting .333 from 3, our opponents are shooting .373. We are shooting the same as our opponents (.427 vs .425) down low. Seems like we’d focus more on taking the ball to the paint.[/QUOTE]

That means we are getting 1 point per 3 point shot, and .85 points per 2 point shot. I don’t know if taking more shots in the paint would affect where the opponents shoot from, unless we could play H O R S E.

[QUOTE=scollie41;375722]Lutz has the most wins in school history, does that mean anything? Of course in this day and age, it’s what have you done for me lately. 20 wins last year was not enough for some, so to them, he has not done much. The losses this year are as much on the players as they are on Lutz. They take the shots, make the passes etc. Of course he draws up the plays and sets the gameplan, but he is not on the floor actually executing.[/QUOTE]

i dont even know where to begin with this post. first off, most wins in school history doesnt mean that much considering we havent been around very long. yes, this is a what have you done for me lately business and you know what lutz has done for us lately, nothing. were not bagging on lutz because the team is 5-8 this year. everyone has bad years, injuries happen, stuff happens. we as fans are upset because of the constant underachievement that has occured under lutz. do i want him fired, since no one else is lined up who is better, no. as for him drawing up plays, i dont know what games you are watching but i dont see any plays being drawn up. also, 20 wins is not that impressive considering we play a thirty game regular season, conference tournament and possible postseason. look how many teams get 20 wins in a season.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;375838]i dont even know where to begin with this post. first off, most wins in school history doesnt mean that much considering we havent been around very long. yes, this is a what have you done for me lately business and you know what lutz has done for us lately, nothing. were not bagging on lutz because the team is 5-8 this year. everyone has bad years, injuries happen, stuff happens. we as fans are upset because of the constant underachievement that has occured under lutz. do i want him fired, since no one else is lined up who is better, no. as for him drawing up plays, i dont know what games you are watching but i dont see any plays being drawn up. also, 20 wins is not that impressive considering we play a thirty game regular season, conference tournament and possible postseason. look how many teams get 20 wins in a season.[/QUOTE]

Constant underachievement compared to what? What previous era of Niner Basketball are you looking at? Our are you comparing them to some mythical team that has actually had great years, deep post season runs etc. Outside of the 76-77 teams, who else has had more success than the teams of the past 10 years under Lutz?

As for plays, I very rarely miss a game and I see plenty of set plays being run. They are not always executed, but there is an offense in place. Now whether you agree with it or think it is a good offense, is up to you, but don’t act like we have 5 guys running around without any direction on offense.

Lastly, 20 wins is a big deal. Look at last years team and where they were picked. That was a big accomplishment to get where they were by the end of the season. 22 wins is normally what it takes to be a bubble team (depending on conference etc) so we were close to the bubble and went to the NIT in a season where no one was thinking we would win 16 games, much less 20.

The fact is, I think there people on this board that expect a level of play from Charlotte basketball that has not be seen in many years, if ever and I am not sure how you justify it. The program has a lot of room to grow and needs many successful years to get to the level that some of you think should be the norm.

underachievement has nothing to do with past success. it has to do with what you accomplish with regards to the talent you have. with the talent we have had we have underachieved.

As for plays, I very rarely miss a game and I see plenty of set plays being run. They are not always executed, but there is an offense in place.

I am not knocking you, but please record several plays the team is running and put them on youtube or something, because I am not seeing this. Maybe it’s just horrible execution, but I do not see many plays run at all.

We run set plays everytime down the court. The sets are based of single, double and stagger screens. May not be what you like, but it is what we do. A lot of these get us open looks off the screen. However, the shooters need to look to the screener at times as soon as they receive the ball. I would also like to see us screen the screener more often.

Constant underachievement compared to what? What previous era of Niner Basketball are you looking at? Our are you comparing them to some mythical team that has actually had great years, deep post season runs etc. Outside of the 76-77 teams, who else has had more success than the teams of the past 10 years under Lutz?

As for plays, I very rarely miss a game and I see plenty of set plays being run. They are not always executed, but there is an offense in place. Now whether you agree with it or think it is a good offense, is up to you, but don’t act like we have 5 guys running around without any direction on offense.

Lastly, 20 wins is a big deal. Look at last years team and where they were picked. That was a big accomplishment to get where they were by the end of the season. 22 wins is normally what it takes to be a bubble team (depending on conference etc) so we were close to the bubble and went to the NIT in a season where no one was thinking we would win 16 games, much less 20.

The fact is, I think there people on this board that expect a level of play from Charlotte basketball that has not be seen in many years, if ever and I am not sure how you justify it. The program has a lot of room to grow and needs many successful years to get to the level that some of you think should be the norm.

Just seems we were more competitive in CUSA and have gone down hill since joining the A10. Marquette, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis…we did more against those teams then we have against lesser teams in the A10 (except for Xavier and maybe Dayton or St. Joes.?)

Besides what’s wrong with expecting a higher level of success and winning. Since when do the fans have to justify their expectations for a winning program. Why do we have be complacent?

We’re barely above .500 over the past 4 years.

I sure hope you consider that underachieving.

[QUOTE=lucky57;375689]. . .[B] interesting thing I have noticed…It seems like most of the relatively newer posters that i’ve seen,appear to be students and seem mostly unwilling to accept all the “not Bobby’s fault” excuses…GLAD TO HAVE YOU BOYS,OPINIONS ARE GREAT . . .DON’T GO OVERBOARD AND TURN YOURSELF INTO ANNOYING BITCHES, EITHER. . . [/B]![/QUOTE]:smile:
fixed

We run set plays everytime down the court. The sets are based of single, double and stagger screens. May not be what you like, but it is what we do. A lot of these get us open looks off the screen. However, the shooters need to look to the screener at times as soon as they receive the ball. I would also like to see us screen the screener more often.

This!!! Whenever I read “we never run set plays” that person immediately loses some credibility with me. We don’t run a Princeton offense so its not as visible. But watch Duke play and you’ll see the run almost the same offense as we do. The difference of course being that they have better players and better execution.

This!!! Whenever I read "we never run set plays" that person immediately loses some credibility with me. We don't run a Princeton offense so its not as visible. But watch Duke play and you'll see the run almost the same offense as we do. The difference of course being that they have better players and better execution.
There's a reason that Duke generally looks organized, has strong fundamentals, and plays with composure year after year. And it's only partly because the refs love them so much.

This discussion reminds me of this WH post on the A10 board a while back. The problems he mentions are what I think some of you mean by “execution”. It’s a coaching issue when we look like we are playing pick-up basketball (even while plays are obviously being attempted), particularly when it happens year after year.

[B]Charlotte vs. fundamental basketball[/B] Last night's loss was so illustrative of the Charlotte 49ers since the school joined the A-10 that I think it deserves a special thread.

Honestly, there has not been a stupider team in the league since Charlotte and St. Louis came aboard, at least to my eyes. I hate to be so blunt. Every team makes some dumb plays, but Charlotte consistently makes more than any other A-10 team.

Case in point is the final three minutes of the loss to Providence, a game the Niners basically led start to near finish.

The key sequence occurred at roughly the 2:55 mark. After a PC miss Charlotte grabs a defensive board - I think it was Wilderness - leading by 5 points. Instead of slowing down, the rebounder tries to throw an outlet pass to a streaking Harris at halfcourt. It gets knocked down in the paint, PC grabs the ball and one of their players is fouled.

The PC player only made one freebie to cut the lead to 4, but here’s the problem. Charlotte could have run 30 seconds off the clock, brought it under 2:30 and had a chance to extend its lead to 7 or 8. At this point in the game time management is crucial. The clock is against the Friars.

Instead, Charlotte throws the ball away and opens the door for PC to go on a 10-0 run to end the game. There were some more turnovers and stupid plays to follow, especially Lamont Mack trying to drive through three guys. He naturally lost the ball and PC got an uncontested basket the other way. (I’ve said before that Mack is not a guy who should be trying to dribble too much on offense).

Obviously, this is coaching. Lutz just can’t get his teams to play consistently with intelligence and discipline. They do it in spurts, that’s all.

That’s why the loss to Arizona State was not surprising. It’s what happens when an intelligent and disciplined team - a reflection of a terrific game coach in Sendek - plays the mirror opposite. Lutz said after that game he’d like to study how Sendek goes about things. I don’t know if he was joking, but how true his words are. He could learn a lot from Sendek.

There's a reason that Duke generally looks organized, has strong fundamentals, and plays with composure year after year. And it's only partly because the refs love them so much.

This discussion reminds me of this WH post on the A10 board a while back. The problems he mentions are what I think some of you mean by “execution”. It’s a coaching issue when we look like we are playing pick-up basketball (even while plays are obviously being attempted), particularly when it happens year after year.

I’ve never said Lutz was a better coach. In fact I’ve said quite a few times that I think coach K is the best coach in the country.

Well, the panthers’ defensive coordinator didn’t game plan to defend Larry Fitzgerald and had linebackers covering him.

Atleast Lutz wouldn’t do anything that stupid.

I've never said Lutz was a better coach. In fact I've said quite a few times that I think coach K is the best coach in the country.
Well, you did leave that fact out of your list of differences:
But watch Duke play and you'll see the run almost the same offense as we do. [B]The difference of course being that they have better players and better execution.[/B]
But I wasn't making that comparison either. My point was responding to the reason for the "better execution".

[QUOTE=eason49;375980]Well, the panthers’ defensive coordinator didn’t game plan to defend Larry Fitzgerald and had linebackers covering him.

Atleast Lutz wouldn’t do anything that stupid.[/QUOTE]

They did the same thing in the last game, except they were doing it more towards Boldin than Fitzgerald.