Lutz to Iowa State as an Assistant

Go Cyclones!

Papa Sparty got an email last night saying that it wasn’t completely a done deal yet but almost. Apparently also turned down an assistant position at another BCS school- even further away than Iowa!

Also, a girl I grew up with at home works in compliance (I think) in their AD, so I’ll tell her to keep me in the loop!

I think you’re correct moss[/quote]
Depends on if accepting an assistant job qualifies as causing him to “stop making efforts to get a HC job.” I would argue it does.

Best of luck Coach. You’ll always be a Niner!

Depends on if accepting an assistant job qualifies as causing him to “stop making efforts to get a HC job.” I would argue it does.[/quote]

I doubt it. This will obviously be a step in the direction of getting a HC job. It builds his resume and keeps him in the game.

The ISU and Bobby “connection” is not new. I think it was after the 20 win turnaround season that ISU contacted Lutz’s agent to gauge his interest. AD may like Lutz and with Hoiberg having no experience, it all worked out and he’s probably getting a big check.

link to thread at ISU board: http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/92101-bobby-lutz-hired.html

Depends on if accepting an assistant job qualifies as causing him to “stop making efforts to get a HC job.” I would argue it does.[/quote]

I doubt it. This will obviously be a step in the direction of getting a HC job. It builds his resume and keeps him in the game.

The ISU and Bobby “connection” is not new. I think it was after the 20 win turnaround season that ISU contacted Lutz’s agent to gauge his interest. AD may like Lutz and with Hoiberg having no experience, it all worked out and he’s probably getting a big check.[/quote]

I would hope we have a legal team that is capable of arguing that it means he gave up his HC search. If not, the legal team that wrote the contract should be fired.

Congrats and good luck coach Lutz!

I’m surprised, too - but I wish BL success!

I’m curious as to what BCS program he turned down. Wish Bobby the best, I’m sure he’ll have a HC gig in the next 2 years.

clt says once again top notch coverage by our local paper.

This!!! :slight_smile:

per Katz on twitter:

Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg said he is just talking to former Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz about assistant job. Not a done deal.

The Mayor & The Mustache

[quote=“Run49er, post:2, topic:23378”]Fan reaction seems pretty positive…

Cyclonefanatic.com: Bobby Lutz hired

Congrats and good luck Coach!!![/quote]

Yeah, it’s interesting to read other perspectives on Lutz.

“This is great news. We now have our head coach to go with our figurehead.”

“sure seems like he would want to be a head coach, but this is great. Does anyone know why he does not want to be a head coach?”

“12 seasons as a head coach at Charlotte, 5 NCAA appearances and a conference title before they went to the Atlantic 10. I like it.”

“If this is true… this is an UNBELIEVABLE hire. We’d be getting a guy that was a head coach for 12 seasons at UNC-Charlotte… and had a record of something like 215-153. We’re basically getting a guy just like Fran McCaffrey… to be our assistant head coach. Great hire… if true. I’m pumped.”

And finally, this one…

“Lutz is qualified to be our head coach. Having him on staff makes for the hiring of an experience-free head coach a lot easier to swallow. It’s a freaking fabulous pickup.”

ESPNAndyKat​z: Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg said he is just talking to former Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz about assistant job. Not a done deal.

This could absolutley be great for Lutz. He could be in line for the head job there in a year or 2. Good for him if it happens.

[quote=“hootie, post:37, topic:23378”]This could absolutley be great for Lutz. He could be in line for the head job there in a year or 2. Good for him if it happens.[/quote] Bobby would make them a great assistant, for sure. A plus would be that he would be forced to interact with the refs much less if at all. My impression is that the head coach normally imposes most of the discipline upon the players and the assistants not so much. This would also mesh with Bobby’s personality. I really hope he gets to coach this coming year. I’m pretty sure he’s not going to be happy just to do nothing and accept his pay from Charlotte. Lots of people would do that just to stick it to us for firing them. Bobby is a better man than that.

Seems some of our “Billiken Brothers” are just as interested in this topic too!

Billikens.com: Bobby Lutz reported to be going to Iowa State

More…

Clonechronicles.com: Fred Hoiberg: All the Right Moves in All the Right Places

And while our SLU brethren had nice things to say about Lutz, not the case over on the GW board:

GWHoops.com: LUTZ TO IOWA STATE

BTW, GWHoops.com without a doubt THE worst A-10 message board as far as site architecture!