Marion Jones

Did Dick Boduer care that his grand idea of imploding the Big East would knock Charlotte's athletics back 2 decades? no

How about when we joined CUSA and behind the scenes the ACC teams in NC were against ECU and Charlotte doing so.

and you don’t think the UNC-CH SID (sports info dept) doesn’t cater to the Charlotte Observer for as much pub as possible right here in CLT, essentially dousing 49er pub?

f it, if you can’t comprehend how badly UNC-CH tries to maintain a monopoly, you’re blind

First of all, it was John Swofford, ACC Commissioner (and UNC grad to be fair), not current Carolina AD Dick Baddour, that wanted to expand the ACC. The Big East, and much further down the line, Charlotte, were collateral damage. As the conference commissioner, he is in the business of advancing his conference, and lining the pockets of his schools and himself (not saying thats a good thing). Of course he doesn’t care what happens to Charlotte. So out goes conspiracy theory number one.

I’ve got no evidence to rebuff conspiracy theory number two, however I seriously doubt you have any evidence to support it either.

For theory three. Tell me. If you were the Sports Information Director for Charlotte and you had in the neighborhood of 20K alumni in say Wilmington, would you not have a strong connection with the Wilmington paper? Would you be doing so to defer pub from going to UNCW? The problem is with the Observer not giving Charlotte more pub, not that they give Carolina too much.

First of all, it was John Swofford, ACC Commissioner (and UNC grad to be fair), not current Carolina AD Dick Baddour, that wanted to expand the ACC. The Big East, and much further down the line, Charlotte, were collateral damage. As the conference commissioner, he is in the business of advancing his conference, and lining the pockets of his schools and himself (not saying thats a good thing). Of course he doesn't care what happens to Charlotte. So out goes conspiracy theory number one.

I’ve got no evidence to rebuff conspiracy theory number two, however I seriously doubt you have any evidence to support it either.

For theory three. Tell me. If you were the Sports Information Director for Charlotte and you had in the neighborhood of 20K alumni in say Wilmington, would you not have a strong connection with the Wilmington paper? Would you be doing so to defer pub from going to UNCW? The problem is with the Observer not giving Charlotte more pub, not that they give Carolina too much.

nevermind- its obvious you are more proud of your UNC-CH degree than Charlotte. I was in the loop in 1995-1996 you weren’t, I know what was told to me at the time by those in the middle of it. The ACC was not amused by our CUSA days. And calling us “collateral damage” in the BE shakedown is pisspoor on your part. It unhinged our hoops program pal. I don’t blame the UNC-CH SID for their interest in the Observer, I just said it exists and hurst the 49ers. Again, guess we are “collateral damage” there too.

Look, I’m just as dissapointed as you are about what has happened to the basketball program since we left CUSA. I remember seeing the difference in the atmosphere my last year at Charlotte (CUSA) and the following year (A-10) and it was sickening. I was just trying to explain the situation to you because obviously you have green and gold blinders on. I didn’t say that I didn’t care that we got screwed with conference realignment. I said John Swofford didn’t care about Charlotte, and why should he? To him we were collateral damage. That is not pispoor to say. I know you don’t like to hear that, but it is the truth.

And do you have a job? Because I’m not going to have one very long if we keep up this bitching all day. I’m not getting crap done.

It absolutely is collateral damage since Charlotte was a member of neither the ACC nor the Big East. Check the definition of the words.

It absolutely is collateral damage since Charlotte was a member of neither the ACC nor the Big East. Check the definition of the words.

nobody questioned the definition of “collateral”

its sort of like a bomb…oooops sorry bout that

Off the top of my head how I feel UNC-Ch has kept us down recently:

• UNC-Ch will soon be the 4th largest school in the state (based on attendance) and is still 1st in government funding. Why? Because all the Chapel Hill grads as legislators.

• UNC-Ch pushed to open a medical school in Charlotte (part our fault for not standing up for ourselves).

• Dick Spangler coming here UNINVITED and pushing for us to not start football. Telling a parent that if their kid wants to go to a school that has football that “that’s why we have UNC and State”.

I’m sure there is more and the fact is they do it to EVERY OTHER SCHOOL in NC. They’ve done it to State (UNCR?) and they’ve done it to ECU (dental and medical school), and those are the only two schools who really try to fight them on it.

Here’s the way I see it: UNC Charlotte needs additional funding. We will be the 2nd largest school in the state in another what, 3 years and are 13th still in funding? UNC Charlotte needs to make a name for itself and get out of it’s bigger brothers shadows. Football and a medical school would do that. Who has what we need and won’t relinquish control? Which school (or it’s grads) seem to stand in our way when we try to make pushes for things that will help our school?

Unfortunately the only way we are going to get what we need is if we [B]take[/B] it without asking, like we are doing with football (thank you CFI). Our leaders have to stand up to Chapel Hill though and I don’t know if they are willing to. State does and ECU does, and they get what they want because of it. Will we follow their lead?

[QUOTE=metro;370787]Did Dick Boduer care that his grand idea of imploding the Big East would knock Charlotte’s athletics back 2 decades? no

How about when we joined CUSA and behind the scenes the ACC teams in NC were against ECU and Charlotte doing so.

and you don’t think the UNC-CH SID (sports info dept) doesn’t cater to the Charlotte Observer for as much pub as possible right here in CLT, essentially dousing 49er pub?

f it, if you can’t comprehend how badly UNC-CH tries to maintain a monopoly, you’re blind and I question your allegiance to the Charlotte 49ers.[/QUOTE]

He says carolina…nuf said.

[QUOTE=lake49er;370879]He says carolina…nuf said.[/QUOTE]

I’m confused is he talking about north or south

I'm confused is he talking about north or south
He's obviously talking about the Panthers...or is it the Hurricanes? Maybe it isn't obvious after all...