Mark Carney

The 49ers ran 74 plays on offense, 23 more than the Owls. Carney calling plays to constantly run the ball up the middle. “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results” a definition of insanity”

4 Likes

Coaches hiring friends and former colleagues and teammates is pretty standard operating model for coaches - but what we need is for him not to let that relationship stop him from moving on from a guy if we can’t get it done.

6 Likes

It’s always tough to figure out if it’s the offensive talent (line, RB, QB injured ect) or the coaching, let’s see where we are after the next two games, if we are 6-3 and bowl eligible, doubt we will hear anything regardless if we don’t think he is the man for the job. Another reason why 95 percent of the time teams don’t do anything mid season.

The scheme and philosophy under Healy is smash mouth, control the line of scrimmage, dominate time of possession, power running game, so I understand why he continues to run up the middle, but we just dont have the players that can dominate the offensive line, we have to hit the transfer portal and get power 5 talent to anchor this line, and get to where we can dominate time of possession

1 Like

I’ll take carneys back again. So much going wrong at the moment, don’t think you can blame playcalling.

The offense as a whole is his responsibility. I think our problems lie in the revolving door at o line coach, leading to recruiting and development issues. Not blaming the kids either. It’s been a crazy situation.

I ranted about this for like a half hour last night. When Healy was hired, I assumed he would try and fill his staff with experienced FBS coaches and coordinators. Instead he fills out the staff with his buddies from his playing days who haven’t coached higher than pee wee level. Look at our staff roster and check out their experience. Prior to arriving at Charlotte, these guys coached D2 or very low level FCS programs. Mark Price was a disaster, but I respected the fact that he brought in Fancher and the guy from Oklahoma State. And yes Lambert was awful to mediocre, but he tried his best to bring in high caliber coordinators with BCS experience.

1 Like

Agreed but Healy is learning too. He certainly doesn’t have a lot of experience to this point and up until now his Buddy system has worked for him…until now. If he is the leader and innovator that he thinks he is I would hope he’s now understanding the importance of higher level experience on a staff and will adjust accordingly. AAC is a different animal than FCS and low level FBS. And I would think he has to understand now that he’s in the middle of it…that as conference affiliation gets bigger the need for experience is even more valuable. He’ll either learn and adjust or this will be the last stop on his ladder climbing thru the ranks.

The way he values his career and likes to interview…my bet is he figures it out.

This offseason will tell the story.

Not sure about the secondary. Yes, run defense has been awful all season. But last night FAU made 9 completions, 3 of them were for touchdowns. That’s awful.

I feel like Healy believes his own hype. He thinks that culture is everything. Now don’t get me wrong, I think culture is a lot of it, but you need to put that on top of a team of good players, and a staff of good coaches. Culture should be the difference maker, not the only thing you’ve got.

2 Likes
1 Like

It’s for sure interesting in our 4 wins we have scored over 30 points, in our 3 loses we have scored less than 15, kind of crazy how we are so boom or bust. I agree with whoever said we really should have thrown the ball more at the end of the first half and into the second.

Have a feeling Alex may be looking for a job after season is over.

1 Like

Actually it is about the play calling. Yes we couldn’t run the ball but FAU had every defensive player within 10 yards of line of scrimmage daring us to throw and we ran the ball. Sometimes against 8 and 9 man boxes on defense. Run play action and stretch that defense but even most of the passes were less then 10 yards down field.

1 Like

Another pathetic game on offense.

2 Likes