Matt Tifft to Drive UNC Charlotte Car at Kentucky Speedway This Weekend

clt says that is very cool. too bad they didn’t go solely with the athletic logos.

clt can also report that apple state will be featured on a go kart racing around a field in elkin.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:2, topic:29838”]

[/quote]

Thanks for posting the pics Mr. B! Apparently this will also be Tifft’s NASCAR Xfinity’s Series debut.

[font=open sans][size=13px]Matt Tifft is a college student and race car driver from Hinckley, Ohio. He currently attends UNC-Charlotte as a business major. He has followed racing for most of his life and is a devoted race fan, especially of NASCAR. He grew up attending many dirt late model stock car races with his father’s team, primarily in Michigan.[/size][/font]

[font=open sans][size=13px]http://www.matttifftracing.com/about/[/size][/font]

clt asks when is the race? we should open the stadium and put it on the big board.

During our game on Saturday. 8:00 on NBCSN

This is totally cool. I agree the only main big logos should have been athletic, at the very least the athletic logo on the hood, and the crown logo on the rear.

There should be pics / video of this and it should be posted on our main website. This is a big deal for our Motorsports Engineering Program.

Notwithstanding the ever-present complaints, this is freakin cool!

The fact that no one has said a word about the mustard color gold compared to the gold in the “Charlotte” logo amazes me!

Very sharp looking car. At Richmond the other week, JMU did the same thing but used athletic branding which I thought was very well done.

[quote=“JCohen84, post:9, topic:29838”]The fact that no one has said a word about the mustard color gold compared to the gold in the “Charlotte” logo amazes me!

Very sharp looking car. At Richmond the other week, JMU did the same thing but used athletic branding which I thought was very well done.

http://jmusports.com/news/2015/8/18/Athletics_0818151837.aspx[/quote]

But did the JMU sponsored car have a JMU student driving it? I think that is what makes this/ us pretty unique.

Why not number 49?

Owners are assigned car numbers that must be used for the whole season in order to be eligible for scoring car owner points for that specific number. This 20 car happens to be in the mix for the car owners championship as well. The number 49 is also registered to another team in the series.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:10, topic:29838”][quote=“JCohen84, post:9, topic:29838”]The fact that no one has said a word about the mustard color gold compared to the gold in the “Charlotte” logo amazes me!

http://jmusports.com/news/2015/8/18/Athletics_0818151837.aspx[/quote]

But did the JMU sponsored car have a JMU student driving it? I think that is what makes this/ us pretty unique.[/quote]

Agree, that aspect is very cool. Hopefully JGR will fully leverage this story on the TV broadcast.

Do you want to be on a car capable of winning (20) or a car running in the back (49)?

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:8, topic:29838”]This is totally cool. I agree the only main big logos should have been athletic, at the very least the athletic logo on the hood, and the crown logo on the rear.

There should be pics / video of this and it should be posted on our main website. This is a big deal for our Motorsports Engineering Program.

Notwithstanding the ever-present complaints, this is freakin cool![/quote]

I disagree. If we’re trying to get folks who are watching a race to attend our sporting events - while competing directly with one, I might add - then we’d put the C-Pick all over that sumbitch.

We’re not, though. We have a very well-respected Motorsports Engineering program that a lot of teams look to for talent. We’re trying to get high school kids with an interest in racing to come to school here… so we use the school’s emblems.

JMU can plaster their athletic logo all over a car because JMU has a single name. You don’t have to google “James Madison Dukes” to find that the James Madison Dukes represent James Madison University. We don’t have that. “Charlotte 49ers” doesn’t directly indicate that they represent “UNC Charlotte.”

As long as the athletic and academic entities on campus continue to operate under disparate identities, we’ll have to decide which stands to benefit more from opportunities like this.

All that said, this is awesome.

edit:

I don’t suppose there’s any chance that they could give some type of updates as to how he’s doing via the PA on Saturday night… would be nice, though!

That car is so cool. I still think a collegiate race league would be awesome. Would be a great opportunity for our school/athletics to lead and pioneer something.

clt says the extra f is for fast.

Looks like finished 10th last night. Great news!

I watched some of it. Saw the car. Looked cool.