McCrory wants to revamp higher ed funding, takes aim at UNC-Chapel Hill

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/29/3820186/mccrory-wants-to-revamp-higher.html

UNC responds: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/29/3820763/unc-president-responds-to-mccrory.html

FYI if you’ve used your monthly minimum, hit refresh when the green box shows up then hit “X” right as the page loads to read the article… :wink:

mccrory is spot on. too many degrees in college being subsidized that are essentially worthless.

then again, at 15k a year in tuition, if unc charlotte lost 1000 students due to bunk majors, that is a $15 million shortfall

Or view it in Incognito mode on Google chrome…

[quote=“ninerID, post:4, topic:27429”]mccrory is spot on. too many degrees in college being subsidized that are essentially worthless.

then again, at 15k a year in tuition, if unc charlotte lost 1000 students due to bunk majors, that is a $15 million shortfall[/quote]

this may or may not be the case. but he couldn’t have made his point any worse. he comes off as being a stooge in his comments imo.

For some reason, I thought this to be relevant.

Pat has no intention of getting rid of LibArts at Chapass Hole. He does have intentions to modify the funding in the system and how it gets distributed. He’s making the UNC folks think he’s going to gut their funding so that when they compromise they’ll accept a lesser cut and not complain cause he DID say he wanted more.

One side wants to defund programs that don’t show financial results. One side is already bitching they aren’t getting enough to begin with. Compromise will be in the middle and hopefully benefit schools like UNC Charlotte who have been under represented and underfunded for years.

clt daps pat.

It is beyond time to make cuts at UNC ch.

I have to say that McCrory is off base here.

There have been studies that have shown some of the highest earning undergraduate majors are in fact liberal arts programs.

The liberal arts degrees are usually the precursor to a more technical or professional advanced degree, which coupled with the liberal arts degree mold a more well-rounded professional.

That being said the type of student earning a liberal arts degree at an Ivy League school may be in a position to earn more than a student with a liberal arts degree from a public school. Then the argument is academically is unc-ch more academically like an Ivy or the one of many public universities in the state of NC…

Keep up the good work Pat!

One thing that I hated was taking the liberal arts to get my engineering degree. I thought that it was pretty pointless most of the time as it was probably just to squeeze more money from me. Some foreign languages are important because you may use that in the real world. However, the last time I checked Swahili was not a language where major business was done. Chinese, Indian, and Spanish I can see.

clt says suggesting UNC ch is similar to an ivy is comical.

Only one school in nc can make that claim, which is Duke.

Bingo. I know the goal of college is to make one well rounded, but these non-major classes that do nothing to help you professionally in your future line of work wind up costing you a summer school session, an extra semester, or an extra year in order to graduate depending on your major. That was bad enough when college was somewhat affordable, but at $19.2K per year now for in-state students for tuition, room, and board, the chopping needs to be done to make absolutely sure that each major can be reasonably completed in 4 years (or less).

Piggybacking on the foreign language requirement again, either make everyone take it or require no one to take it. Foreign language completion in high school should only count towards a university’s admission requirements. Requiring some to take the classes once enrolled and others not is a rip off to those that have to waste 10 hours of their freshmen year taking the classes when they could be knocking out some pertinent classes. I know the foreign language lab only counts for one hour, but you have to go to it twice a week (unless it’s changed since I graduated) which takes up 5 hours of time each week for the entire year. I’m not against it being required for graduation if that’s what a university wants to do, but make everyone take it. It adds up to a semester’s worth of hours by itself, and as stated above it’s just too freakin’ expensive to require some to do it and not others.

For every Lib Arts grad that goes onto private graduate school, how many are asking right now, “You want fries with that?”…or equivalent cash-flow job. Pat is all about increasing tax dollars by growing the value of the tax base. He is less likely to raise tax rates on general public. However, he is known to go nuts from time to time (arena and light rail).

If you deducted all the liberal arts graduates that did not go to ultra expensive private schools that are not subsidized, then how much salary does the average graduate make? Chances are, if you are going to an expensive private school for liberal arts, you don’t need to be subsidized. Chances are, if you are paying for an expensive lib arts education, you are heading toward a law degree, masters or doctorate. In my opinion, much of the higher incomes from liberal education comes from cronyism.

[quote=“MeanJoeGreen, post:15, topic:27429”]For every Lib Arts grad that goes onto private graduate school, how many are asking right now, “You want fries with that?”…or equivalent cash-flow job. Pat is all about increasing tax dollars by growing the value of the tax base. He is less likely to raise tax rates on general public. However, he is known to go nuts from time to time (arena and light rail).

If you deducted all the liberal arts graduates that did not go to ultra expensive private schools that are not subsidized, then how much salary does the average graduate make? Chances are, if you are going to an expensive private school for liberal arts, you don’t need to be subsidized. Chances are, if you are paying for an expensive lib arts education, you are heading toward a law degree, masters or doctorate. In my opinion, much of the higher incomes from liberal education comes from cronyism.[/quote]

I was liberal arts at Charlotte (political science) and I’m in law school now. I’m not sure you’re implying this, but if you are: don’t tell me I’m not working my *** off to try to put food on my table and that somebody else is handing it to me. If you’re not, then I apologize for that little outburst.

As someone furthering my education in a tech degree and I completely disagree with Pat’s claim here.

You go to college to learn how to think. Sure, I didn’t appreciate my Global Studies class when I took it, but I definitely appreciate it now. It taught me how to have a wider perspective. That sociology class I took? I now know that I need to consider the impact of my designs on society, and more often than not it’s on a very small subset of society – they called it social sustainability. I wish more folks in my field were forced to take that course.

Nonetheless, student and quite frankly many of the adults who are pushing them have developed a “degree = jobs” complex. In order to do a majority of the jobs out there you don’t have to have a specific degree. How many psychology majors or theater majors do you know that have jobs working in some form of business? I know a number of them. Heck, most of my friends in business don’t have a business degree. The point is the 4-year degree – it’s a symbol of knowing how to critically think.

Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer or a scientist. I just so happened to be. But I greatly appreciate the English majors out there who love to read and write. They contribute to everyday conversations and keep me in touch with things outside of my STEM field mindset. I couldn’t do what they do or study what they did. And I enjoy talking to them over a meal as they take a break from their office managerial position. We keep each other balanced.

You cut lib-arts. You cut gender studies. You cut a lot of the culture that makes this country great. And no, degree type doesn’t = job.

There are a lot of answers to the flaws in the higher ed and societal system and problems that many of us are blind to. This isn’t the answer.

[quote=“NewNiner, post:16, topic:27429”][quote=“MeanJoeGreen, post:15, topic:27429”]For every Lib Arts grad that goes onto private graduate school, how many are asking right now, “You want fries with that?”…or equivalent cash-flow job. Pat is all about increasing tax dollars by growing the value of the tax base. He is less likely to raise tax rates on general public. However, he is known to go nuts from time to time (arena and light rail).

If you deducted all the liberal arts graduates that did not go to ultra expensive private schools that are not subsidized, then how much salary does the average graduate make? Chances are, if you are going to an expensive private school for liberal arts, you don’t need to be subsidized. Chances are, if you are paying for an expensive lib arts education, you are heading toward a law degree, masters or doctorate. In my opinion, much of the higher incomes from liberal education comes from cronyism.[/quote]

I was liberal arts at Charlotte (political science) and I’m in law school now. I’m not sure you’re implying this, but if you are: don’t tell me I’m not working my *** off to try to put food on my table and that somebody else is handing it to me. If you’re not, then I apologize for that little outburst.[/quote]
Maybe by “cronyism” he meant the old “who you know not what you know”. That is true for every profession though.

I just hope folks are finally figuring out that not everyone needs/should to go to college in the first place.

[quote=“VA49er, post:18, topic:27429”][quote=“NewNiner, post:16, topic:27429”][quote=“MeanJoeGreen, post:15, topic:27429”]For every Lib Arts grad that goes onto private graduate school, how many are asking right now, “You want fries with that?”…or equivalent cash-flow job. Pat is all about increasing tax dollars by growing the value of the tax base. He is less likely to raise tax rates on general public. However, he is known to go nuts from time to time (arena and light rail).

I was liberal arts at Charlotte (political science) and I’m in law school now. I’m not sure you’re implying this, but if you are: don’t tell me I’m not working my *** off to try to put food on my table and that somebody else is handing it to me. If you’re not, then I apologize for that little outburst.[/quote]
Maybe by “cronyism” he meant the old “who you know not what you know”. That is true for every profession though.[/quote]

That I can accept. I agree with you, though, it’s true for most any profession. When I was in engineering for awhile looking for an internship, it was about who I knew, not the fact that I had near perfect grades (though I’m sure that got me through the initial barrier).

I may have overreacted a bit, but law school is the hardest thing I’ve ever done, academically, and I tend to bristle at the slightest suggestion that we don’t work our *** off. Apologies to MeanJoe, if that came off a bit harsh.