Media look ahead to 2012-13 in A-10, etc.

Per Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com:

[b]Charlotte:[/b] Chris Braswell might be the best big man in the league, and the 49ers have a good recruiting class entering the fold. Which frosh steps up?
Plus he picks Braz as all-conference.

CBSSports.com: Conference Catchup: With VCU aboard, A-10 race is wide open

Meanwhile, Mike Huguenin of Yahoo! sees the A-10 as #8 out of the top 12 conferences (BTW, C-USA #10). [NOTE: written prior to VCU announcing it would join A-10 in 2012-13]

Yahoosports.com: Big Ten should rule the conference roost next college basketball season

And in an early top 25, Mike Decourcy picks VCU #25, with Saint Louis among “What teams just missed the preseason top 25?”. Chaz Williams (UMass) among the top 10 PGs, while Khalif Wyatt (Temple) in the top 10 SGs list.

Sportingnews.com: Sporting News ranks the top 25 college basketball teams for 2012-13

Plus C.J. Aiken (St. Joe’s) makes this top 10 shot-blockers list. No surprise there.

ESPN.com: Top 10: The nation’s top shot-blockers

More…

SI.com: Defending the three: A study of percentages and philosophies

SI.com: By The Numbers: Big East, Pac-12 take hits as realignment rages on

This top 25 from earlier this month has Saint Louis at #22 and VCU at #25.

CBSSports.com: Top 25 (and one): UCLA continues climb while Baylor plummets

From Jon Rothstein of CBS College Sports, WFAN, etc.

Newyork.cbslocal.ocm: Rothstein Files: 10 Reasons To Be Excited About The Atlantic-10

Number of games involving A-10 on this list from Jeff Goodman.

CBSSports.com: Top non-conference contests for the 2012-13 campaign

I have a strong feeling that this season is going to result in me being really sad to leave A10 basketball behind. (only basketball, that is)

Not me - I just want out. Let’s kick their teeth in and get the hell out.

Zagsblog.com: Eventful Summer for VCU’s Smart

Staff changes, key OOC games, trips, transfers, etc., from Jeff Goodman.

CBSSports.com: Atlantic 10 Offseason Rundown

Plus this from A10Report:

Scout.com: A-10 Bold Predictions From Twitter Fans

Rothstein still singing the praises of La Salle as Tyrone Garlands makes this list…

Newyork.cbslocal.com: Rothstein Files: 10 Underrated Transfers For The 2012-13 College Basketball Season

And sticking with that list, my recollection is that Nurideen Lindsey (Rider) was a one-time commit to Dr. G & Co.

VCU continues to bask in spotlight, which is paying off on the recruiting trail.

CBSSports.com: Smart move: VCU sells out season tix based on Shaka fever, move to A-10

Timesdispatch.com: Miami prep basketball star chooses VCU over Alabama

Plenty of Atlantic 10-related stuff in these pieces.

SI.com: Treveon Graham, Andre Hollins to make impact in sophomore season

SI.com: Best Of The Rest Roundup: Can mid-majors make Final Four push?

SI.com: Kentucky-L’ville, UNC-UNLV among must-see nonconference face-offs

SI.com: Butler-Marquette, Memphis-VCU among best early-season matchups

Dzuback with some early thoughts on the coming season…

Rushthecourt.net: RTC Summer School: Atlantic 10 Conference

Plus a reposting of this “lost” piece:

ESPN.com: Summer Shootaround: Atlantic 10

As 2k noted on the Niners hoops forum, Clayton made this Rothstein list, which also includes Jordan Hare (URI) and Qeuvyn Winters (Duquesne).

Newyork.cbslocal.com: Rothstein Files: 20 Under-The-Radar Freshmen For The 2012-13 College Basketball Season

[quote=“Run49er, post:15, topic:26787”]As 2k noted on the Niners hoops forum, Clayton made this Rothstein list, which also includes Jordan Hare (URI) and Qeuvyn Winters (Duquesne).

Newyork.cbslocal.com: Rothstein Files: 20 Under-The-Radar Freshmen For The 2012-13 College Basketball Season[/quote]

You know we are irrelevant when they can’t spell the coach’s name correctly.

Rothstein calls Charlotte a “sleeper”. Gives us a positive write-up, and still puts us 9th. Not sure who I’d put below though, maybe Richmond? I have a feeling the league is going to be pretty tough this year, though without many clear top teams.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/10/rothstein-files-atlantic-10-offseason-notebook/

Would fans be ok with this finish, particularly if the top 5 make the NCAAs?

[quote=“9erken, post:17, topic:26787”]Rothstein calls Charlotte a “sleeper”. Gives us a positive write-up, and still puts us 9th. Not sure who I’d put below though, maybe Richmond? I have a feeling the league is going to be pretty tough this year, though without many clear top teams.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/10/rothstein-files-atlantic-10-offseason-notebook/

Would fans be ok with this finish, particularly if the top 5 make the NCAAs?[/quote]

I think it really would depend on the record and play. Hypothetically, if 5-11 gets you 9th place I can’t see too many being happy, and rightfully so. I think we need to be bare minimum 7-9 as it would show a two win conference increase, but the heat would be on Major, big time, again rightfully so. 8-8 combined with some good wins would probably put people in a more positive mood.

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:16, topic:26787”][quote=“Run49er, post:15, topic:26787”]As 2k noted on the Niners hoops forum, Clayton made this Rothstein list, which also includes Jordan Hare (URI) and Qeuvyn Winters (Duquesne).

Newyork.cbslocal.com: Rothstein Files: 20 Under-The-Radar Freshmen For The 2012-13 College Basketball Season[/quote]

You know we are irrelevant when they can’t spell the coach’s name correctly. [/quote]When Lutz was winning and we were relevant, his name was butchered all the time. It happens.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:18, topic:26787”]I think it really would depend on the record and play. Hypothetically, if 5-11 gets you 9th place I can’t see too many being happy, and rightfully so. I think we need to be bare minimum 7-9 as it would show a two win conference increase, but the heat would be on Major, big time, again rightfully so. 8-8 combined with some good wins would probably put people in a more positive mood.[/quote]That sounds about right I suppose. Before Xavier imploded, I would’ve said about 7 or 8 teams had realistic shots at NCAA’s. But even without Xavier, conference play is going to be brutal. It doesn’t help that we drop last year’s extra games with GW and Richmond, and replace them with Butler (away) and VCU (home), both of which are getting top25 predictions from various people. If we do get to 8-8, I think that would almost have to include some wins against bubble teams or better.

I just want to see Charlotte exceed expectations for the first time in a while and before leaving the A10. I think we’ve done that once in the A10, when Goldwire won several games with hot shooting. Since then, it’s been underachieving every year it seems.