Medical & Law School News

On a side note, I sent an email to Dr. Hans, UNC System President, about the subject. I simply stated that it was disappointing to see a private university based out of Winston Salem beat out a school with 30,000+ students in the same city as the planned school. No response as of yet.

I also sent an email to Dr. Gaber on the subject stating that the campus is far enough away and the city is largest enough to support two schools. No response yet either.

2 Likes

Charlotte magazine: How a New Medical School Aims to Change Charlotte.

In 2015, a Pittsburgh-based consulting firm hired by a group of Charlotte health care and business leaders concluded that, as the nationā€™s largest city without one, Charlotte needed a med school to meet population growth and compensate for doctor shortages through the region. The firm, Tripp Umbach, recommended a partnership between UNC Charlotte and the UNC Chapel Hill med schoolā€™s Charlotte location, a small campus for third- and fourth-year students. But the UNC system decided a partnership with Carolinas HealthCare offered better opportunities for growth throughout the state, especially in rural areas.

By March 2018, UNC and Carolinas HealthCareā€”by then renamed Atrium Healthā€”had ceased negotiations, mainly because they couldnā€™t resolve questions about who would control the combined systemsā€™ spending. The two systems, UNC Health Care said in a release, ā€œhave determined that we cannot satisfy our mutual organizational goals through a proposed partnership and joint operating company.ā€

So basically, the UNC System decided if this couldnā€™t be an expansion for Chapel Hill then screw the people of NC. They would rather let Wake have it than UNC Charlotte being involved.

3 Likes

Totally disgusted with this entire medical school process. UNC Charlotte shoud be in the process of bringing on a medical school now. Lack of intestinal fortitude from our leadership. Itā€™s not the size of the dog in the fight, itā€™s the size of the fight in the dog. Is the UNC system trying to hold Charlotte back? Absolutely. Is the UNC Charlotte leadership allowing it to happen? Without question.

We are all accountable here for allowing this to happen without a fight. Had we shown the same commitment towards building a medical school as we did towards starting a football program, we would have a medical school today. Time to rally for whatever may remain.

3 Likes

UNC Charlotte has and always will need Bonnie Cone types to fight for our mission and resources not bureaucratic minded types like Phil Dubious that are content with the status quo.

2 Likes

Restarting this conversation. I cannot express my disappointment in seeing this. A university with so much potential seems to lose out at every opportunity. One more blown opportunity to move the needle. See belowā€¦

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article252775643.html

Philā€™s failure

1 Like

Gorgeous design but I doubt it will look anything like that by the end. Wish it was our name on it

And they even have enough sense to put the school name in BIG LETTERS on the buildingā€¦what a novel ideaā€¦I said way back when that we should have done that with the downtown building and maybe even done something unique and identifiable to the school like green colored glass for the building instead of the battleship grey we used. It would have become iconic over time.

1 Like

Philā€™s failure = Our failure
We all take the loss!
Question is, how do we prevent the next failure?
Do we want to recognize our potential? Or, remain complacent?
We are capable of so much more. Whereā€™s the passion?

They glass downtown is green.

It looks almost plastic though. Looked great in renderings but very unremarkable in person:

The backside of the building has gray/silver paneling on it though.

If its green, I literally have never even noticed a hint of greenā€¦it appears as battleship grey in person and every image or live shot Iā€™ve ever seenā€¦it should be GREEN greenā€¦think like Jim Gross ā€™ Pink buildingā€¦the color is obvious.

Looks green to me. Either Iā€™m colorblind or you are.

Lived four blocks from the building and saw it nearly every day for seven years and never thought it looked gray.

2 Likes

That image looks more green than any Iā€™ve seen, but it might as well be blueā€¦my point was to make it identifiable as Niner greenā€¦even this image is as far from Niner green as possible.

clt says we really should have the u of c logo on that bldg

The famous CHP Building. I actually like this building other than the weird blank side, if they had a constant projection on it that could improve things.

Iā€™m not a big fan. The glass is dull and looks like plastic. Whole thing just looks very cheap. Could have been very cool if it didnā€™t get value engineered to hell.