Memphis and Cincinnati to Big 12?

That’d be interesting…

[quote=“moss2k, post:1, topic:29218”]http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball-blog/hc-uconn-huskies-conference-realignment-woes-could-continue-if-cincinnati-memphis-leave-american-athlet-20141205-story.html

That’d be interesting…[/quote]
If true, and Memphis and Cincy go to the Big 12, where does UCONN go? If UCONN can go somewhere else does the American raid C-USA, or fall apart and the leftovers beg to go back to their old conferences? With UAB presumably leaving, ECU could probably come home again. This could be intersting, and it would all have to happen by the end of June.

[quote=“moss2k, post:1, topic:29218”]http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball-blog/hc-uconn-huskies-conference-realignment-woes-could-continue-if-cincinnati-memphis-leave-american-athlet-20141205-story.html

That opens up all kinds of possibilities of various that we can be affected. I hope we are on top of everything this time, just in case opportunity comes knocking at the door.

[quote=“Nugget, post:2, topic:29218”][quote=“moss2k, post:1, topic:29218”]http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball-blog/hc-uconn-huskies-conference-realignment-woes-could-continue-if-cincinnati-memphis-leave-american-athlet-20141205-story.html

If true, and Memphis and Cincy go to the Big 12, where does UCONN go? If UCONN can go somewhere else does the American raid C-USA, or fall apart and the leftovers beg to go back to their old conferences? With UAB presumably leaving, ECU could probably come home again. This could be intersting, and it would all have to happen by the end of June.[/quote]

If the AAC were to raid CUSA, I wonder what our chances would be.

Geographically Marshall and Charlotte would make a lot of sense for the American.

I could see UCONN going to FCS football and joining the Big East. No conference is going to add them for football only, and independent FBS would be challenging.

Or Marshall and ODU. ODU and Charlotte have better TV markets.

[quote=“ninerID, post:5, topic:29218”]Geographically Marshall and Charlotte would make a lot of sense for the American.

I could see UCONN going to FCS football and joining the Big East. No conference is going to add them for football only, and independent FBS would be challenging.[/quote]

Id bet ODU would get a call before us. I have no clue how hard ECU would push for us, but I’d think the AAC already has NC with ECU and want in Va if possible.

[quote=“KSNiner, post:7, topic:29218”][quote=“ninerID, post:5, topic:29218”]Geographically Marshall and Charlotte would make a lot of sense for the American.

I could see UCONN going to FCS football and joining the Big East. No conference is going to add them for football only, and independent FBS would be challenging.[/quote]

Id bet ODU would get a call before us. I have no clue how hard ECU would push for us, but I’d think the AAC already has NC with ECU and want in Va if possible.[/quote]

I could actually see both us and ODU getting in. Even Marshall fans have said they don’t think they have a chance because of their academics.

This could be very, very, very interesting.

So… What do we do if the AAC says they want us but only if we have a larger football stadium?

They pay for it.

They pay for it.[/quote]

Then they call somebody else.

They pay for it.[/quote]

Then they call somebody else.[/quote]

This is about money. If they think they can get more money by having us in, you do what it takes.

They pay for it.[/quote]

This is about money. If they think they can get more money by having us in, you do what it takes.[/quote]

Not exactly. The AAC is 1 of the 2 best G5 conferences. They know this and they know they have choices. If we don’t pony up someone else will. We got into the lower tier of G5 because of market and bball. Thats about as far as we will get without expansion on our own dime.

I can see Uconn trying to go football only in whatever league UMass ends up in. And begging for a Big East invite in other sports.

If I were running the AAC, Id grab Umass all sports for a tie to UConn, ODU, Charlotte and Marshall. They could even go after UTEP and Rice, but I think those two are destined for the the MWC.

The other wrench is BYU. Im surprised the Big 12 hasnt gone after them. The AAC could go after them too.

Very interesing.

They pay for it.[/quote]

This is about money. If they think they can get more money by having us in, you do what it takes.[/quote]

Not exactly. The AAC is 1 of the 2 best G5 conferences. They know this and they know they have choices. If we don’t pony up someone else will. We got into the lower tier of G5 because of market and bball. Thats about as far as we will get without expansion on our own dime.[/quote]

I just hope we are ready for ANY and ALL Possibilities. I hope we are ready for any scenario that may happen this time.

If our market can bring money to the AAC we get in. If not, we don’t. It all comes down to carriage fees and tv deals.

Actually, forget that - if Memphis and Cincy leave the AAC, it is time for the CUSA & AAC commishes to sit down and do some horse trading.

Take a look at the conference maps:

AAC

CUSA

Its’ stupid to have two G5 leagues spread out so much. It costs too much and kills rivalries. The whole point was to hold onto marquee programs, but aside from UConn, they’re all gone. Instead, the two conferences should swap members and reform as one Midwest/Texas league, and one East Coast league, IMO.

For arguments sake, we’ll call the East Coast league the American, and the Midwest league CUSA.

Here are the realigned leagues:

American

UConn
Temple
UMass (add all sports or none)
ODU
ECU
Charlotte
Marshall
MT
WKU
UCF
USF
FIU
FAU

In that scenario Umass is optional and/or a backup if UConn bolts for a better deal.

CUSA

Tulsa
SMU
Houston
UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Tulane
La Tech
USM
BYU (possible)
NMSU (possible)

or grab a Florida School
or add UL-Lafayette

The Florida schools will possibly be contested, that is - if the leagues really want them for recruiting purposes. The leagues are flexible enough to allow for that, and though UCF and USF are stronger programs than either FxU, it’s not a deal breaker to split them up.

To me, this makes much more sense because it cuts travel time and expenses down significantly, and at least attempts to create some regional rivalries. UConn and BYU would be tough sells, but I think the rest of it is workable.

Thoughts?

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:18, topic:29218”]For arguments sake, we’ll call the East Coast league the American, and the Midwest league CUSA.

American

UConn
Temple
ODU
ECU
Charlotte
Marshall
MT
WKU
UCF
USF
FIU
FAU

In that scenario Umass is optional and/or a backup if UConn bolts for a better deal.

CUSA

Tulsa
SMU
Houston
UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Tulane
La Tech
USM
BYU (possible)
NMSU (possible)

or grab a Florida School
or add UL-Lafayette

The Florida schools will possibly be contested, that is - if the leagues really want them for recruiting purposes. The leagues are flexible enough to allow for that, and though UCF and USF are stronger programs than either FxU, it’s not a deal breaker to split them up.

To me, this makes much more sense because it cuts travel time and expenses down significantly, and at least attempts to create some regional rivalries. UConn and BYU would be tough sells, but I think the rest of it is workable.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Was talking to NN about this at Triple C. This makes too much sense.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:19, topic:29218”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:18, topic:29218”]For arguments sake, we’ll call the East Coast league the American, and the Midwest league CUSA.

American

UConn
Temple
ODU
ECU
Charlotte
Marshall
MT
WKU
UCF
USF
FIU
FAU

CUSA

Tulsa
SMU
Houston
UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Tulane
La Tech
USM
BYU (possible)
NMSU (possible)

or grab a Florida School
or add UL-Lafayette

Thoughts?[/quote]

Was talking to NN about this at Triple C. This makes too much sense.[/quote]

I actually like it quite a bit too. The final alignments can be tinkered with, but the basic idea is so logical that it has to be done. It’s just stupid not to.