Men's hoops coaching carousel

Bart Lundy out at High Point (96-87 in 6 seasons, though only 9-21 this year; 211-128 overall for the former Queens coach) and ditto for Ernie Nester at Elon (67-117 in 6 seasons for the former Wake assistant and one-time George Mason HC).

Right now there about a half dozen openings, with the highest profile jobs being Alabama, Arizona, and Georgia. Soon the floodgates will open! :rolleyes:

The announcers were speculating about Mark Few and Arizona last night during the WCC Championship game. If Few does not leave for that job, Gonzaga fans can breathe easy after every season from hereon.

I don’t know that he’s the #1 choice, but he’s got to be on the list. I figure that there might be some surprise candidates that might jump from one big school to another (a la Bill Self).

[B][SIZE=3]High Point dismisses Lundy[/SIZE]
By Tom Berry
March 10, 2009[/B]

HIGH POINT – Because a promising future could not erase a season gone bad, Bart Lundy was fired as High Point University’s head basketball coach on Monday.

Athletic director Craig Keilitz made the announcement six days after the Panthers were routed by Radford in the first round of the Big South Conference Tournament to finish 9-21 overall. In six seasons, Lundy went 96-87 overall and 48-46 in the league with four winning seasons.

Keilitz, who has been AD for a year, said “no one thing” led to the decision that Lundy would not return. High Point’s top nine scorers are scheduled to be back for the 2009-10 season.

“We’re ready to go in a different direction,” Keilitz said. “It was not based on one year. We looked at every aspect of the program.”

Reached by phone early Monday evening, Lundy said his dismissal was “a surprise,” but would not detail the reasons given for the change.

“I’d rather stay positive with it,” he said. “We had a lot of pieces coming back and coming in. At the same time, I feel confident that the program is in better shape than when I got here.”

Lundy came to High Point in the spring of 2003 after directing Queens, an NCAA Division II school in Charlotte, to a 115-41 record in five seasons. He took over for Jerry Steele, High Point’s head coach for 31 years.

The Panthers finished 19-11 in Lundy’s first season, after six straight losing records. High Point finished in the Big South’s upper division four times, with a best of 22-10 overall and second in the conference in 2006-07.

The Panthers never won a Big South regular-season or tournament title under Lundy.

“I walk out with my head held high,” he said. “I’m 37. I’ve got a lot of coaching left in me.”

Added Keilitz: “Bart is a tremendous person who put a great deal of time and effort into our program and represented the university with class and dignity. I truly appreciate his dedication and commitment to bringing the High Point program to a competitive Division I level. This was an extremely difficult decision and one that was made after a great deal of thought and consideration.”

Keilitz said he had not spoken with any candidates yet, but has received several inquiries about the position. Fred Barakat, a former associate commissioner of the Atlantic Coast Conference, will play a role in the search.

Lutz would be smart to rebuild his career at somewhere like Elon or High Point.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;390788]Lutz would be smart to rebuild his career at somewhere like Elon or High Point.[/QUOTE]

any other year, I’d be critical of your comments.

BUT there are just too many losses since joining the A10…so, I will close with

QTF

at this point, Im interested in knowing more about this Bart fellow.

I remember when some posters were worried South Carolina was going to take Lutz away from us.:lmao:

[QUOTE=bball49er;390929]I remember when some posters were worried South Carolina was going to take Lutz away from us.:lmao:[/QUOTE]

They opted for the legendary Dave Odom. In 7 years there, he never had above a .500 record in conference and had only 1 NCAA berth, in which his Coccks got beat down in the 1st Round. Lutz could not have done much worse, even implying that he would have. Next example.

post of the month
I remember when some posters were worried South Carolina was going to take Lutz away from us.:lmao:
remember tiegate?

cptn319 endorses this post

I just do not have words to adequately express how disappointed this season has been for me. AND, even worse than this is the fact that I do not have optimism that Little boy Lutz can turn this disaster around. He really needs to be replaced immediately.

i’d think karl hobbs has almost got to be gone at GW after the past couple seasons…thoughts?

[QUOTE=77niner;391100]I just do not have words to adequately express how disappointed this season has been for me. AND, even worse than this is the fact that I do not have optimism that Little boy Lutz can turn this disaster around. He really needs to be replaced immediately.[/QUOTE]

I’m afraid he’s here a few more years 77. At least two.

Got his extension, hope he wants to right the ship instead of riding the clock. I’m just not sure he has the same fire.

How many T’s did he get this year??

Not that it’s a great measuring stick of enthusiasm, just wondering.

They opted for the legendary Dave Odom. In 7 years there, he never had above a .500 record in conference and had only 1 NCAA berth, in which his Coccks got beat down in the 1st Round. Lutz could not have done much worse, even implying that he would have. Next example.
Keep taking up for Lutz if you think it makes you look like a loyal fan. You are one of the few left. I'll leave it at that.

[QUOTE=bball49er;391161]Keep taking up for Lutz if you think it makes you look like a loyal fan. You are one of the few left. I’ll leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Don’t I know it. The wifebeaters are becoming overwhelming. I’ll leave it at that.

If you had used Tennessee as your example, your point would have been better validated. They actually went to another level when they hired Pearl. The Cockks dropped at least 1 by hiring Odom.

[QUOTE=jfickett;391104]i’d think karl hobbs has almost got to be gone at GW after the past couple seasons…thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Hobbs is most certainly done, unless they cannot afford to replace him. Kind of like us.

Any other A-10 openings?

How much is the remainder of Lutz’s contract?

I watched a fairly uninterested Lutz on his sideline at UR just a few weeks ago during his first of second loss to an average UR team. I think he knows, but the person that needs to really know is Miss Judy who I think won’t do anything. Just a hunch, which I hope is ****ing wrong. Sorry Bobby, time’s up. Bye now.

I think I figured it out…when basketball analysts talk about how Lutz is a great X’s and O’s guy, maybe they are talking about his Tic-Tac-Toe ability and not basketball?

[QUOTE=jbradshaw;391218]Hobbs is most certainly done, unless they cannot afford to replace him. Kind of like us.

Any other A-10 openings?[/QUOTE]
Yes, I think Hobbs is gone. Only other coach on hot seat is probably Derrick Whittenburg. The former can’t recruit while the latter can recruit but forgot how to coach the past couple of seasons. Of course, if Fordham does jettison DW, then the Bronx Rams can forget about the 2009 signees and 2010 commitments, plus their super frosh Jio Fontan and Alberto Estwick would almost certainly transfer, with Fontan probably ending up at some Big East school.

Anyway, newest collegiate opening is at Boston University, where all-time winningest BU coach Dennis Woolf was fired after a 17-13 season. And Jeff Goodman is reporting that Buzz Peterson is in the mix at Elon.

I think I figured it out....when basketball analysts talk about how Lutz is a great X's and O's guy, maybe they are talking about his Tic-Tac-Toe ability and not basketball?

He is a good Xs and O guy, but his philosophy is flawed and I wouldn’t call him a disciplinarian. If you can’t get your players to be disciplined it is hard to make them run your plays correctly and to excecute.

Yes, I think Hobbs is gone. Only other coach on hot seat is probably Derrick Whittenburg. The former can't recruit while the latter can recruit but forgot how to coach the past couple of seasons. Of course, if Fordham does jettison DW, then the Bronx Rams can forget about the 2009 signees and 2010 commitments, plus their super frosh Jio Fontan and Alberto Estwick would almost certainly transfer, with Fontan probably ending up at some Big East school.

Anyway, newest collegiate opening is at Boston University, where all-time winningest BU coach Dennis Woolf was fired after a 17-13 season. And Jeff Goodman is reporting that Buzz Peterson is in the mix at Elon.

No way Fordham fires Whittenburg, he’s bringing Air Jamica in there. Fordham is more than happy with the prospects of 1 above average season every 4 years. Whittenburg can bring them that.