Mike Dunlap new Bobcats coach

Longtime collegiate coach Mike Dunlap hired by MJ. And FWIW, Alan Major served as an assistant under Dunlap at California Lutheran.

NBA.com: Bobcats introduce Dunlap as new head coach

Dunlap probably would have been a really good hire for the Niners. For the Bobcats? I don’t know. Wait and see.

I’ll support them no matter what but it’s pretty miserable being a die hard Bobcats fan. I just hope they play better basketball this season.

From David Scott:

Charlotteobserver.com: 49ers coach got his start with Dunlap

And, of course, wouldn’t be the Big O without a piece from Tom Sorryass including one of his “trademark” Niner putdowns:

Charlotteobserver.com: Need a name? Maybe Mike Dunlap can make one with Bobcats

From David Scott:

Charlotteobserver.com: 49ers coach got his start with Dunlap

And, of course, wouldn’t be the Big O without a piece from Tom Sorryass including one of his “trademark” Niner putdowns:

Charlotteobserver.com: Need a name? Maybe Mike Dunlap can make one with Bobcats[/quote]

What are you talking about Run? I feel like Tom is one of the most supportive guys at the O with regard to Charlotte 49er athletics. He’s been a proponent of football and has done some pretty good writeups on our basketball squad when we were playing well.

And I don’t think he stated anything that wasn’t true - Major hasn’t done anything yet, and he is entitled to one more season. We’ll see what happens then. He wasn’t saying we never existed, he’s only saying its as if we don’t right now. I think thats a pretty true statement with regard to Charlotte 49er basketball… Right now, we make NO noise.

While Dunlap is an interesting selection, I think his abilities in player development is why he was chosen. They are going to be one of the least talented teams in the NBA for a few more years, it is going to take player development to get to the level of respectability so free agents will consider signing with the teams.

You could look at it like in baseball Buck Showalter (Orioles, Rangers, Diamondbacks, Yankees), and now it seems Terry Collins (Mets), they are great with young player, setting a framework for getting better and learning to be successful, but they’ll need the next coach to take them to the next level.

When you really dig into this guys resume it’s pretty solid. He’s been successful where ever he has been and as been a head coach winning a couple D2 national titles and has experience coaching professionals in Australia as as head coach and has NBA experience as an assistant. Regardless the level it appears he can manage a game and knows how to handle a team and professionals. I like the hire. I would certainly rather have him than Patrick Ewing and I think his resume is stronger and more rounded than Brian Shaw and Quin Snyder as well IMO.

Now if I’m the bobcats I take that #2 pick and trade down and get Sullinger around 10 to 15 pick probably with his back redflagged and stock dropping, and get another good young player or draft pick along with him. I just don’t see another franchise changer at #2 and I like a couple of the guys like Sullinger projected mid first round that they could get later and probably get another pick or player as well.

[font=lucida grande][size=13px]If you’re a nerd and you’re interested in the Bobcats draft… read this. It made me really happy. Kinda reminds me of Moneyball (though very different) as well.[/size][/font]

[font=lucida grande][/size][size=13px]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/06/23/3337874/bobcats-hope-massive-revamp-of.html[/size][/font]

I’m not saying it was a bad hire. But the hire was again due to UNC-CH ties. George Karl.

I pretty much hate Chapel Hill - but their coaching tree is solid and if we get a coach because a Chapel Hill coach gave a recommendation I can live with that. Now drafting Harrison Barnes - what little interest I have in the NBA will probably disappear if that happens.

I'm a closest UNC-CH fan and that's why I'm on Lebo's nuts so much.

Thanks man, clears a lot of things up.

Jordan went for the cheapest option possible.

Maybe they’re going for a 2nd shot at the #1 overall pick next year?

I think this was a great hire. George Karl thinks a ton of him and he is as good of an NBA coach as there is in the league. The NBA basically retreads the same old coaches constantly. I’m glad they took a shot with someone new. He is obviously well known all over basketball for his X and O ability and for being an excellent teacher. I think he will do a great job. The Bobcats have a young roster and they really need a coach that can teach the game. I really like this hire!!

I don’t have a clue if that was a good, bad, or “meh” hire. I wonder if Dunlap is as effective as claimed why he hasn’t been hired as a head coach at some big name school. I also know that the track record of very good college coaches making the jump to the NBA is less than stellar, as is Michael (“BE LIKE ME”) Jordan’s record as an executive. You know, Larry Brown is also a great teacher who’s passionate about basketball and, of course, his tenure here did not end well. My guess is that Dunlap, like most all coaches, will be as good as his players allow him to be. Good luck to him.