Mike Gerrity (PG)

[URL=http://pepperdinesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gerrity_michael00.html]http://pepperdinesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gerrity_michael00.html[/URL]

a true pg from pepperdine freshman of the year in wcc

looking at charlotte and one other school

pretty sure he’d have 3 years but i might be wrong. he was a sophmore this season and hasn’t played a game assuming (medical redshirt)

so he might be a like a plavich type transfer situation come here a year sit out and then have two years eligibility but there might be that 3rd year of eligibility for him

Per Jim Utter in the shoutbox, Gerrity was at our practice today, and the coaching staff should get final word by tommorrow!

Nice work Jim!

The guy looks like a stud. I’d tap it.

“Made an immediate impact as a rookie and developed into one of the top young players in the West Coast Conference . . . A natural leader who will be counted upon to be the quarterback of the team” (biography)

Good to hear!

[B]Reaons why Gerrity left Pepperdine…[/B]

"The cream of the 2005 recruiting class is no longer playing for the Pepperdine men’s basketball team. Sophmores Michael Gerrity and Chris Oakes are off the team, officially, citing [B]personal reasons[/B] for their departure. "

“Gerrity’s and Oakes’ sudden flight came with no prior knowledge or clues, according to the coaching staff. “It happened totally out of the blue,” Walberg said.”

“Neither of the two players, when contacted by the Graphic, would comment about their reasons for leaving. Both players were recruited to Pepperdine by former coach Paul Westphal, who resigned in the spring.
Gerrity and Oakes are expected to transfer after this semester. NCAA rules would force them to sit out a year.”

"Gerrity was selected to the WCC All-Freshmen team after the past season averaging 14.1 points and 3.4 assists a game. He was poised to be a cornerstone for the Waves this season, [B]but was unhappy with the up-tempo style of play that Walberg brought to the team[/B]. "

Source: [URL=http://graphic.pepperdine.edu/special/2006-12-02-bball.htm]http://graphic.pepperdine.edu/special/2006-12-02-bball.htm[/URL]

Seems as though he was simply unhappy when the new coach (Walberg) came in.

does he not realize we have a similar up tempo team? or are we actually going to slow the tempo down for him?

I’m not sure that was precisely the problem. Gerrity never said anything about that. The comment of the “up tempo style” comes from a writer at the “Pepperdine Graphic”… :rolleyes:

Not to mention the fact the team won 7 games last season, and has started out 2006 with a 4-10 record. Won’t be that much better here though I imagine.

Gerrity averaged 14.1 points last season…

14.1 is better than two of our trio right now. aka los and lee

so I’m assuming he can’t play this year based on the comments. I don’t understand why Bill Walker can come in and play halfway through the season, but a transfer can’t. Can someone explain this to me? I’m not terribly familiar with the rules of the NCAA.

I grew up with this kid. Went to school with him till high school until I moved out here. He is a really good player. I would be really excited if he came here.

It should also be noted that he is a tough defender. Averaged 2 steals per game his freshman year :thumbsup:

so I'm assuming he can't play this year based on the comments. I don't understand why Bill Walker can come in and play halfway through the season, but a transfer can't. Can someone explain this to me? I'm not terribly familiar with the rules of the NCAA.

DI transfers have to sit out two semesters of play. Bill Walker being fresh… well… sorta fresh out of HS… could suit up as soon as the NCAAs said go. In Gerrity’s case, by transferring before the end of the year, he’d be eligible to play Spring '08 instead of Fall '08.

that’s a horseshit rule in my opinion. I can understand a semester, but a whole years worth of bball is ridiculous. He would be able to practice with the team though right?

Yes. As soon as he was enrolled in school.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;207582]that’s a horseshit rule in my opinion. I can understand a semester, but a whole years worth of bball is ridiculous. He would be able to practice with the team though right?[/QUOTE]

How is this surprising to you? Deangelo and Plavich have both had to do it recently, as well as many other Niners we have had here. I dont think its necessarily a bad rule, it keeps the transferring from getting out of hand. It keeps players from blowing up at small schools then just leaving them the next year for a “big name school.”

because plavich was before I really started paying attention to charlotte basketball. DeAngelo’s transfer actually came before I was here too.

I just finished watching a couple video clips of him on rivalshoops.com. Has some really good handles, looks like he can make some sweet passes, and loves to take it to the hoop as opposed to tossing up the three. In the little bit I saw, he passed up some outside shots to get to the lane. Looks like a hell of a competitor. I hope we sign him.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;207584]
I dont think its necessarily a bad rule, it keeps the transferring from getting out of hand. It keeps players from blowing up at small schools then just leaving them the next year for a “big name school.”
[/QUOTE]

Yep.

RWorkman, think about the big transfer mess that many schools would go through every year without this rule. It would not only happen when players at smaller schools jumped to larger schools. It would also happen when players at larger schools were unhappy and suddenly left for another large school or smaller school.

I’m sure we’ll beat that out of him and have him jacking up threes in no time.

Morning bump for those that missed Utter’s comments in the shoutbox last night. Should be a story in the Observer within a day or two.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;207607]Morning bump for those that missed Utter’s comments in the shoutbox last night. Should be a story in the Observer within a month or two.[/QUOTE]

FIXED.