Mike Hill and the Future

I think he will wait until seasonā€™s end mainly because he has other irons in the fire.

Might want to assume that Hillā€™s job may also be on the line

An ADā€™s seat better be hot if football and basketball both suck.

1 Like

Unless Mike is doing an amazing job fund raising behind the scenes I think Gaber and the board have to consider a change.

No doubt - you cannot whiff this badly on those hires. If he nailed one of them, I wouldnā€™t be as critical but this is extremely bad.

1 Like

I would not fire Hill until his next two hires in the big two sports also fail.

Healy was a risky hire but it sounds like he was not our first choice and our first choice pulled some shenanigans on us (I have no idea what happened just going on what others have said.)

Sanchez was a good hire at the time. National commentary was it was a great hire and that Sanchez was the best assistant coach potential hire in the nation. He just hasnā€™t produced.

Based on the other positive things Mike Hill has done I would give him another cycle of the two revenue sports hires.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think it comes down to evaluating his hires like that. He wasnā€™t hired by our current Chancellor, and that is a big, big deal. Any of us who have been around for a while, especially those that also attended other schools have seen this play out before.

You make good points otherwise. But it really comes down to success / failure and who hired him.

I think he will probably get one more shot to fix his mistakes unless Sanchez completely falls on his face too, against this cupcake schedule he has lined up. If that happens, Mike is going to catch some heat.

Very good point that I had not though of.

Agreed Basketball this year will be a big factor.

If he is hitting all the other metrics and deliverables he deserves another shot at each revenue sport.

If he can be a successful fund raiser,
Grow the donor base and keep a financial firm AD off shit sports imagine what he can do with winning ones.

3 Likes

My advice: announce something positive or encouraging today. Stadium expansion time frame is one suggestion. We need to keep fans on board.

Another suggestion is that Healy has been fired!

1 Like

IMO Stadium Expansion should be held off on announcing until after season is over. Doing it now wonā€™t get us hardly any decent press, in fact will probably get laughed at given current staff performance and just makes a few folks feel better. Wait until we bring in new coach and then let him announce it. Big pop, great recruiting tool for new staff and has more long term impact.

7 Likes

I hate to agreeā€¦ but its trueā€¦ It would result in more laughs than anything else.

If firing Healy is not priority right now, Mike hill doesnā€™t have it in him to be an AD. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions. You canā€™t be a cheerleader on the sidelines hoping for the best. The fun things, rebranding, facility upgrades, hobnobbing with rich folks, is not all you can do. Man up.

Think the strategic part of the decision matters here. Firing now? Later in season? Post season? He may have made up his mind but timing is a question.

Other than Hill, who else has to give approval to fire Healy?

Chancellor will definitely have a say in it. I suspect most chancellors simply trust their AD and go along with their decision though.

Ghost of CLT and Roy Cooper?

I guess we canā€™t brag about volleyball either.

AD has total control unless they step out of agreed upon contract. Iā€™m sure though chancellor and probably bot chair at min would be informed.