Mike Hill and the Future

I doubt it

4 Likes

I doubt it too. Healy knew before anything came out on Twitter. Just saying.

3 Likes

Then Healy either lied to Fowler or Fowler just made shut up.

One of the three did something very unprofessional.

2 Likes

Feels very much like Healy lashing out. Unprofessional and pretty shitty of Fowler to share.

1 Like

Not his PR failure if it’s even true. Maybe some jackass put it on Twitter before it was supposed to go public. No way Hill put it out there before telling Healy.

10 Likes

Let me start off by saying that I think Mike Hill needs more time, but you wonder if he is starting to get a little nervous. Football and Basketball had terrible years and Baseball is off to a rough start (hopefully they can get it together in conference play). On the bright side, Football appears to be on the up, but we will have to wait and see.

An AD just can’t last that long if the three main sports aren’t doing well. I hope things can turn around because he has done a good job along with the university to implement a new brand and try to build some hype, but the product on the field/court hasn’t followed suit

1 Like

Hill needs Poggi to succeed almost more than we want him to.

6 Likes

Mike picked a lot of the lower hanging fruit (branding, donor relations, 49er club growth, marketing, facilities plan, etc) that Judy didn’t and he navigated us through Covid without any major financial impacts, partly thanks to Judy’s operating model. I know some folks hold delay in evergreen against him, but the push back from chancellor on it was real during Covid. That’s the good he has done.

Regardless of what many of you feel, we were far from a lock into the AAC. Mike managed to get us in there, despite lack of football success, with a combination of vision and past history with the promise that of what we could be with our market. I think UCF helped us immensely. This is a massive move for all sports. This is the super work he has done.

Football, took a step forward then back and is now in neutral until we see what happens with Biff. Basketball has found solid footing which is good, but after 5 years is way behind schedule. Baseball made some great strides, appears this year is a step back. All of these things are concerning. My biggest concern with Mike though is 5 years in and we haven’t found any new significant donors, now we may have some wrapped up in Evergreen but at this point we haven’t heard of any - even though I’ve heard fundraising has gone slow but well. That’s the bad.

Have to wonder what Gaber is thinking and how Mikes performance aligns with her vision of athletics.

4 Likes

Mike Hill inherited a defunct basketball program and hired the wrong man as head coach. Sanchez is better than Price is true, but that fact is no Gold Standard.

Mike Hill inherited a stable but underperforming football program that was still in its FBS infancy, and hired the wrong man as head coach. Healy put the program into a nose dive after inheriting a solid team that Lambert built.

Mike Hill’s basketball coach hire and football coach hire were both bad, yet both got contract extensions. One is getting paid not to coach at Charlotte and the other is getting paid to coach poorly at Charlotte. The back up plan for the CBI tournament was probably the local YMCA tournament, because they are “All About Championships”, and if they can’t play with the big boys, then they will find some little boys to beat.

Poggi is a story. He will either be a Niner darling or another Niner Joke. Let’s pray for Poggi to be what he appears to be; a winner we very much need.

We are going to the AAC with a terrible basketball program and a highshool sized football stadium. The silence from Mike Hill on both subjects has been pathetic and inexcusable.

I am still pulling for Mike Hill and genuinely find him likable. I am not here to make friends. I want meaningful wins. Nuff said.

1 Like

Market, Market, Market!!!

Poggi is in the crosshairs as well with his bold predictions. He has a brand new squad and not an easy schedule. But if rhe man says he can di it,
I’m on his side. (For now😁)

I feel more confident in Poggi not only because of the players he has brought in but mainly because of the coaching staff he has hired. All of them have had experience with good winning programs. Success normally breeds success!

11 Likes

clt says poggi and the panthers are both spending money on assistant coaches. that is a good model

sexy model GIF by Wantering

1 Like

I don’t hold the hire of Ron against Mike - its a hire nearly any AD would have made. I even was ok with giving him this past year, even though I wasn’t thrilled with him up to that point. What I do put on Mike is the second extension, for no reason and then keeping him after this year.

The Will hire looked brilliant, until it didn’t. Bowl game and then skipping the F’d up season, beat Duke are 4-2 in early October. Will is every where - the extension makes sense there too.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but hiring Ron looked great. Extending Will after bowl game and all the heat around him make sense too. Keep in mind the Will extension was as much about us getting a good buyout when he got hired away as it was about keeping him. Mike made the right call with Will - he let Will keep West late and it was Will’s demise. I don’t get the Ron thing though.

1 Like

People seem to have forgotten where we were when Mike Hill was hired.

Football was 1-11, worst season in history.
Basketball was 6-23, close to the worst season in history
Baseball was just beginning the season but they finished 21-31 and did not qualify for the CUSA Tournament. Hibbs retired after the season.

Since Hill:

Football went bowling for the 1st time, best season in school history, then fell off a Cliff, still not to the 1-11 level but close. We have a new hire who has revitalized many in the fan base. TBD on his success.

Basketball is not where it needs to be but has stabilized and is not the dumpster fire Judy allowed it to get to. Probably need a new hire to take us to the next level.

Baseball had 1 of the most successful seasons in program history including regular season championship and the 2nd at large NCAA bid in program history. The 36 win season last year was considered a down year by some.

8 Likes

Thank you Mr_B for perspective

Basketball is still a dumpster fire IMO, but accurate on the rest.

2 Likes

Performance on the court isn’t what it needs to be, but the program as a whole is in much better shape. The season before Ron we lost 15 games in a row, finishing 6-23 and 2-16 in league after a near mutiny of players and were not competitive in a number of the games. Hard not to see that we are in a better place now. The issue isn’t that basketball is still disaster, the issue is that it isn’t a disaster but the rebuild has stalled out and significant doubt that Ron can get us over the hump.

It’s not lost on me that when we aren’t having a good season the vast majority of posters say that the only thing that matters is the conference tournament. Five years in, 0 Fer in the conference tournament, and some people are still seeing progress.

Not competing in your chosen peer group is not competing. A losing record in conference - your peers - means you’re a losing product. Not even being able to win a single game in your conference tourney means you’re a losing product. Horribly bad. Only school to be unable to win one during Ron’s tenure.

We are not in significantly better shape than we were the five years prior to his hiring. Not at anything that matters anyway.

1 Like

Just one question. Didn’t he state when he got here that he was here to win championships?

If I’m mistaken, please ignore the above and continue

1 Like