Mike Rice (HC at Robert Morris)

I saw someone mention this guy and I did some reading up on him… Seems like a pretty good candidate to me. This is his third year as HC… he took Robert Morris to the NIT his first year (2007) and has gotten the NCAA auto bid out of the NEC the last 2 years. Robert Morris hadn’t been to the postseason since 1992 when he took over.

He played ball at Fordham and was an assistant there and several other places (including Pitt.) before taking the HC job at Robert Morris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Rice_Jr.

http://www.rmucolonials.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13900&ATCLID=926060

Don’t think I’ve ever seen his teams play, but they play Nova tomorrow at 12:30.

I have no what kind of $$ he makes now, or if he would be interested in coaching here. Seems like he has potential though. I think I would rather see us hire a young HC that has shown the ability at a smaller school rather than an assistant from a larger school. Thoughts?

He seems like a good fit here…Northeast ties most likely. Younger guy. A winner. And im sure he would make way more $$$ here than there…Hmmm I need to watch them play, but Im liking what I read so far.

With the Seton Hall job opening up, that will likely take away one top northeastern guy. I bet some of them wait to see what happens there first.

They are just Fordham fans, but they’ve had a thread going about him for some time talking about him as a coaching possibility since he is a Fordham grad.

Mike Rice starting to heat up RMU

I haven’t had a chance to read through all of this yet, I’m still working my way through the 14 pages.
But page 6 has some salary information. Enjoy!

From Adam Zagoria…

Zagsblog.com: Rice, Seton Hall Would Be Good Match

Hate to be a negative nelly, but if RM beats, Vill, (they are up by 4 now) he isn’t coming here, Oregon or Depaul will bring out the big cash and grab him.

Watching RM right now up 4 on Nova in the first half.

They were a little out of control early, but have settled down. Seem well prepared against the Nova traps. Similar in offense of what we are used to in the 3 department, but more motion in their half court sets. They also get out on the break well.

RM is looking pretty good so far against a team that is vastly superior. They move around a lot of offense.

your right about that…Judy better do work at the final four this year

Robert Morris up 28-22 over Nova at the half. Rice might be destined for a bigger job next year… especially if he pulls off this upset. I’d love to see him on the sidelines of Halton next year if there is any way we could make that happen.

if the Colonials win, Rice is destined for BC$

Being up at half on a 2 seed is just as good as a win for him. He’s going to be seeing those $$$$

I saw this guy speak at a coaching clinic last year. He’s an excellent speaker and as fiery a guy as I’ve ever seen. He’s definitely a guy that we would be lucky to have. He’s outstanding!!

He’s an excellent defensive coach. Intense all the time!

Oregon is going to buy Mark Few.

Depaul is a tough gig- not sure he’ll pick it. Possible for him at Seton Hall, but I think they go McCaffrey.

Depaul is a tough gig- not sure he’ll pick it. Possible for him at Seton Hall, but I think they go McCaffrey.[/quote]
i dont think mark few is going to leave gonzaga. depaul is a definite possibility. i hope seton hall goes after mccafrey so that rice is open. if i were judy, i would emphasize that we have a lot more talent than these other squads so he could come in and win right away.

Depaul is a tough gig- not sure he’ll pick it. Possible for him at Seton Hall, but I think they go McCaffrey.[/quote]
i dont think mark few is going to leave gonzaga. depaul is a definite possibility. i hope seton hall goes after mccafrey so that rice is open. if i were judy, i would emphasize that we have a lot more talent than these other squads so he could come in and win right away.[/quote]

Oregon is going to hire someone with Nike connections. The most rumored named I have heard is PJ Carlisemo.

If McCaffery is crazy like I am reading as of late, I doubt Seton Hall touches him. Mike Rice or Joe Dooley seem like obvious Seton Hall targets, unless they decide to go big and spend millions.

Rice is making a hundred thousand dollars every minute that his team has a lead in this game.

Wow…

This will be the 3rd time(?) a 15 has beaten a 2? (Richmond & Coppin State?)

After watching RM all day, I think Mike Rice would be a tremendous hire. They play good defense, move well on offense, and just seem to do everything right. Give him better talent and he could do big things.

My only concern would be his recruiting ability (I don’t know anything about it).

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:17, topic:22788”]Rice is making a hundred thousand dollars every minute that his team has a lead in this game.

Wow…

This will be the 3rd time(?) a 15 has beaten a 2? (Richmond & Coppin State?)[/quote]

Hampton over Iowa State

Mike Rice, it was nice knowing you. Come on Nova!!!