Minivan Advice

[QUOTE=metro;252303]lol
when you can link me to a “quality” car that has 3 rows for kids and a overhead dvd for under 20k, let me know wippersnapper. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modelinfo.jsp?vehicle_number=100458137&&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=72504&end_year=2008&address=28269&make2=&start_year=1981&fuel=&certified=&keywordsrep=&car_id=227837067&search_type=both&max_mileage=&body_code=0&marketZipError=false&drive=&min_price=&distance=25&engine=&transmission=&awsp=false&make=TOYOTA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=25&car_year=2005&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=16&max_price=&advanced=&search_lang=en&model=SIENNA&color=&ref=srl#vdptop]Raspberry[/URL] :tongue:

Not bustin your chops Metro, but don’t waste the $$ on paying for the DVD player from a dealer. I bought an 8" DVD player and a leather seatback mount case for like $110. Even came with a car adapter. Complete life saver for long trips.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;252304]$30k is pretty much my ceiling for cars. I’d rather keep it under 25k and just buy a 2-3 year old luxury ride with a performance engine and all the bells and whistles.

Been thinking about a G35 or a Lexus ES300 myself. Then again, why do I want a car payment?

Metro - The Pacifica is about $5k less on the sticker, and I believe Chrysler is tossing in another $2.5k in incentives, plus the warranty. That said, I like The Arcadia, but I have no idea how kid friendly or reliable it is.

I think CSC had the best advice about bringing the rugrats along for the test drive.[/QUOTE]

I am big on fall rebates or buying last year’s model and I’m with ya on 30k being the cap, but I personaly don’t like the Pacifica. I rented it once, too much like and old station wagon.

that said, the future is crossovers. I think mini vans are about to die. I might be wrong.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;252305][URL=http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modelinfo.jsp?vehicle_number=100458137&&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=72504&end_year=2008&address=28269&make2=&start_year=1981&fuel=&certified=&keywordsrep=&car_id=227837067&search_type=both&max_mileage=&body_code=0&marketZipError=false&drive=&min_price=&distance=25&engine=&transmission=&awsp=false&make=TOYOTA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=25&car_year=2005&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=16&max_price=&advanced=&search_lang=en&model=SIENNA&color=&ref=srl#vdptop]Raspberry[/URL] :tongue:

Not bustin your chops Metro, but don’t waste the $$ on paying for the DVD player from a dealer. I bought an 8" DVD player and a leather seatback mount case for like $110. Even came with a car adapter. Complete life saver for long trips.[/QUOTE]
you are preaching to the choir on this one, I bought an overhead off ebay and installed it in the roof of our minivan (with the wireess headphones) and I have bought the strap on type. My next one will come with the car.

lol when you can link me to a "quality" car that has 3 rows for kids and a overhead dvd for under 20k, let me know wippersnapper. :biggrin:

I’ve seen some as part of deals at just over 20K and the Dodge Caliber starts at 14K, Jeep Compass, and Patriot start at under 20K as well. Not full sized SUV’s but more towards the crossover market that can fit 5 comfortably (or should be able too, I’ve only sat in a Liberty and it wasn’t bad on space at all).

I do agree with you on the crossover assumption.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;252312]I’ve seen some as part of deals at just over 20K and the Dodge Caliber starts at 14K, Jeep Compass, and Patriot start at under 20K as well. Not full sized SUV’s but more towards the crossover market that can fit 5 comfortably (or should be able too, I’ve only sat in a Liberty and it wasn’t bad on space at all).

I do agree with you on the crossover assumption.[/QUOTE]

3 rows is the key. you can get all sorts of nice rides for 20k, but none have 3rd row.

I think the first real eye opener for a new parent is getting your arms around how much **** kids have. They have stuff for stuff. There are time I feel as if I need a Peterbilt with a full sized trailer to haul around all the crap.

Men are minimalists. Kids and wives are collectors.

If you are contemplating kids, please read S9ers post. He is not at all exaggerating. First, you can quickly spend a year’s salary on stuff for them. Then you find yourself buying accessories and storage and carrying cases for their stuff. Their stuff has stuff. It’s mind boggling.

Taking a kid across town, just to dinner or a store, is a major production that involves moving about as much stuff as the first time you moved into the dorms. Possibly more. Welcome to your reincarnation as a pack mule.

And screw the 3rd seat unless its fold down so you can load up the 50 lbs of kiddie crap you have to haul everywhere you go.

the Arcadia is only about $30-32k its not pricey IMO- compared to all the family cars on the market

I am up on all the car talk, and Metro is right, the Arcadia is great for all the features and conveinence you get. Most people when they are buying a bigger car for the family, have trouble deciding between an SUV or Minivan (if they live in the country, or if they are the outdoorsy type). These new crossovers are like Minivans, but with enough off-road ruggedness (not as much as an SUV) that they can handle the light duty. Not to mention, that with their more road friendly chassis (over suv) but sportier suspension (over a minivan) you get a vehicle that without the kids in it, is still somewhat enjoyable to drive.

You can actually buy an Arcadia for $28,500, but with all the little costs that dealers add in, and other features that look interesting and helpful (dont get too many features, as that just creates more stuff to break) it can end up running you almost into 34k.

Bottomline, for the best of both worlds and for price go with a cross over. I would recommend the Arcadia (usually I never recommend anything like this, so you know it has to be good)

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;252322]If you are contemplating kids, please read S9ers post. He is not at all exaggerating. First, you can quickly spend a year’s salary on stuff for them. Then you find yourself buying accessories and storage and carrying cases for their stuff. Their stuff has stuff. It’s mind boggling.

Taking a kid across town, just to dinner or a store, is a major production that involves moving about as much stuff as the first time you moved into the dorms. Possibly more. Welcome to your reincarnation as a pack mule.

And screw the 3rd seat unless its fold down so you can load up the 50 lbs of kiddie crap you have to haul everywhere you go.[/QUOTE]
screw the 3rd row? have you not inlaws or parents? everywhere we go my girls friends are in the 3rd row or parents. EVERYDAY…
anyway, all new cars have fold down 3rd row standard, in our life the 3rd row is as important as having motor or windshield.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy a new car. It’s such a better deal to buy one with 20-50k miles on it, and if you pick the right car the manufacturer’s warranty will still last you for a year or more.

We don’t have kids yet, but probably will in the next year or two and we were looking at the Honda Pilot, it has a third row and you really can’t beat a Honda on reliability.

By a SUV. Mini-Vans aren’t cool.

Been thinking about a G35 or a Lexus ES300 myself. Then again, why do I want a car payment?
Save your money. I cuss myself all the time for giving up my perfectly good Maxima that had been paid off for years for a newer car and now monthly payment. My Maxima had 130K on it and ran like a champ. Brakes/tires were the only things I did to it. I just got caught up in the "I want a new car" impulse and now I wish I were still living without a car payment.

With that said, I love the G35 coupes. Though, the new Altima coupes are immensely appealing to me and resemble the G35 a great deal.

[QUOTE=EE9er;252337]We don’t have kids yet, but probably will in the next year or two and we were looking at the Honda Pilot, it has a third row and you really can’t beat a Honda on reliability.[/QUOTE]

We have a Pilot. Good storage and the 3rd row if needed. I’d love to buy American, but Honda makes a damn good car with excellent saftey features (something I never paid attention to till I had to put a baby in the back seat).

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago when I found out that my new baby and his seat would not fit in the back of my Mustang GT. Although it was difficult, I sold it and bought a used Explorer with about 24K miles on it. It is a Limited version and is loaded and I got a great deal.

I would recommend finding a used car. As for other suggestions: Acadia is very nice but look at the Saturn Outlook (same vehicle, cheaper price), I still like the Explorer but many people want better gas mileage (although crossovers, Honda Pilot, and some minivans are not much better). Oh and I would never consider a minivan. I don’t like any of them. BUT heed the advice of others, get something to haul your child’s stuff. Unbelievable.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;252343]Save your money. I cuss myself all the time for giving up my perfectly good Maxima that had been paid off for years for a newer car and now monthly payment. My Maxima had 130K on it and ran like a champ. Brakes/tires were the only things I did to it. I just got caught up in the “I want a new car” impulse and now I wish I were still living without a car payment.

With that said, I love the G35 coupes. Though, the new Altima coupes are immensely appealing to me and resemble the G35 a great deal.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I have a Honda and SUV, both are paid off and will be driven until the wheels fall off. It’s cool not having car payments.

[QUOTE=EE9er;252337]you really can’t beat a Honda on reliability.[/QUOTE]

I still have my 1985 Toyota Corolla that I got my driver’s license in. It drives like a champ. I have no idea how many miles are on it, because the speedometer and odometer stopped working about 4 years ago.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;252372]I still have my 1985 Toyota Corolla that I got my driver’s license in. It drives like a champ. I have no idea how many miles are on it, because the speedometer and odometer stopped working about 4 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Toyotas dont die, they just rust away. (unfortunate, unintentional, bad pun).

The old ones, anyway. Their build quality has slipped a bit, which they’re aware of.

You should scrap all this and get a custom painted Dodge van from the seventies… Some cool airbrushed unicorns and fantasy women on the side. Then, you and the family would be cruising around in style…

Isn’t VW bringing the bus back?