Minivan Advice

[QUOTE=Sideshow;252372]I still have my 1985 Toyota Corolla that I got my driver’s license in. It drives like a champ. I have no idea how many miles are on it, because the speedometer and odometer stopped working about 4 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Thats great, I think Toyota’s have just as good of reliability, I looked at the Highlander and didn’t like the third row seat, was way too small, probably could only use it for kids, and the 4 runner seems like more of an off road SUV. I don’t think they make a minivan. That was the only reason I mentioned the Honda.

Isn't VW bringing the bus back?

Nope, they had a concept many years ago, but it was no even remotly close to the bus.

[QUOTE=EE9er;252448]Thats great, I think Toyota’s have just as good of reliability, I looked at the Highlander and didn’t like the third row seat, was way too small, probably could only use it for kids, and the 4 runner seems like more of an off road SUV. I don’t think they make a minivan. That was the only reason I mentioned the Honda.[/QUOTE]

Toyota has the Sienna (on par with the Honda Oddysey).

Speaking of Toyota mini-vans, anyone remember the first Toyota mini-van – the Previa? (AKA The Jelly Bean) I have a buddy who drives one and it has 383,000+ miles on it… he is a sales rep and drives it all over the place. (Carpet sales, so he says he doesn’t need something cool.)

I would give the edge to practicality to the Sienna. Its very straight forward.

But features wise, its the Oddysey. If you like hi-tech stuff, go with it.

This is all based on used vehicles though. The new minivans might be about the same.

I drove a '95 Toyota Previa for 5 years.

Do not listen to anyone who tells you that an SUV is better than any comparable van. SUV’s are marginally better handling in the best case (usually SUVs are worthless). Minivans are more spacious and your passengers don’t need to pack in as if they are crouched ready to make a swat team raid on some place. Mini-van passengers ride in comfort. Minivan men don’t need some man card to validate themselves because they drive the best automobiles on the road. My mid-nineties sedan I currently drive is nice, but its no mini-van. [/rant]

The '01 Oddysey is a nice ride, but the mid-nineties Previa is a true classic.

Not only does it look great but it also gives you a kick-ass 460 cubic inch engine!

[QUOTE=lutz9er;252458]I drove a '95 Toyota Previa for 5 years.

Do not listen to anyone who tells you that an SUV is better than any comparable van. SUV’s are marginally better handling in the best case (usually SUVs are worthless). Minivans are more spacious and your passengers don’t need to pack in as if they are crouched ready to make a swat team raid on some place. Mini-van passengers ride in comfort. Minivan men don’t need some man card to validate themselves because they drive the best automobiles on the road. My mid-nineties sedan I currently drive is nice, but its no mini-van. [/rant] [/QUOTE]

You have some good points, I think the SUV craze the last few years has actually been more of an anti minivan push, I’ve heard many young moms that are in their late 20’s early 30’s mention they don’t want to be considered “soccer moms” which kind of goes with the minivan look. My wife actually falls in that category, but hey, be right or be happy if you know what I mean :wink:

I wonder if you’ve considered a VW camper. They’re fun. Tailgate, camp, get to your (kid’s) game early and park the thing right next to the field… set-up base camp.

The old one I had was great, definately worth it.

put one us back in the man column and reinstate my man license back. Ditched the Caravan yesterday for wifey and got a Volvo XC90. Still got a third row, albeit its for a midget back there.

put one us back in the man column and reinstate my man license back. Ditched the Caravan yesterday for wifey and got a Volvo XC90. Still got a third row, albeit its for a midget back there.
My sister/bro-in-law bought a XC90 on Sunday. That thing is pretty sweet and she loves it. She couldn't decide between the XC90 and the Infinity SUV but in hindsight, she's glad she opted for the Volvo.

I went with the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Go ahead, revoke my man license. The wife loves it. 7 passengers comfortably, power sliding doors and the “Stow n Go” folds down all of the back to provide more cargo room than a Suburban. Got a great deal on it.

[QUOTE=mineshaft;253208]I went with the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Go ahead, revoke my man license. The wife loves it. 7 passengers comfortably, power sliding doors and the “Stow n Go” folds down all of the back to provide more cargo room than a Suburban. Got a great deal on it.[/QUOTE]

I’m not gonna say anything. I’m sure when the second child ever comes along we’ll be looking at the MV also.

Are we still talking about mini-vans?

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;253216]Are we still talking about mini-vans?[/QUOTE]

Why, yes you are.

[QUOTE=metro;253196]put one us back in the man column and reinstate my man license back. Ditched the Caravan yesterday for wifey and got a Volvo XC90. Still got a third row, albeit its for a midget back there.[/QUOTE]

Laughed when I read this… read as “Ditched the Caravan for wifey and Volvo XC90”… Wow! Got rid of the MV, then got a wifey to drive the Volvo… sweet deal!