Mitch Mullis - 2005 (6'7" 230 SF/PF)

I didn’t see anything on Mullis on this board. He’s now at Laurinburg Institute prep school after finishing up at East Davidson. He’s ranked as 3 stars by Rivals.com. I’ve seen him ranked anywhere from 150 - 200 in his class. He’ll have four years with us.

Mitch Mullis - Rivals.com profile

There’s about 15 stories linked from the profile page, most done by Jason Jordan at NinerReport.com.

I think Laurinburg is playing in the Dell Curry tourn. again this year.

NinerReport.com: Mullis to hold press conference on 11/11/04

What do we know about this kid’s playing style, is he fundamentals or flash? Is he an inside banger with some nice moves or he an inside-outside player like say, Ilian Evtimov?

[i]Originally posted by DownwithNBA[/i]@Nov 11 2004, 01:31 PM [b] What do we know about this kid's playing style, is he fundamentals or flash? Is he an inside banger with some nice moves or he an inside-outside player like say, Ilian Evtimov? [/b]
We know a bunch about Mullis. There's over 16 stories on NinerReport.com. I'll help you out, though. Good combination of power and finesse. Blue collar type guy. Should be a solid role player. Can play the 3 or 4.

he sounds like he could be a Brad Miller, Austin Croshere(sp) type of player.

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Nov 11 2004, 07:31 PM [b] he sounds like he could be a Brad Miller, Austin Croshere(sp) type of player. [/b]
damn i sure hope so

Mullis signs basketball grant with Charlotte
By Steve Hanf, Staff Sports Writer, High Point Enterprise
11/12/2004

Charlotte’s basketball coaches liked Mitch Mullis when he was a tall, skinny sophomore at Forsyth Country Day.

They still liked him as a tall, more muscular senior at East Davidson High School. And even when Mullis had to spend a year getting his course credits in order at Laurinburg (N.C.) Prep, the 49ers told Mullis there would be a place for him.

“Charlotte started recruiting me back when I was a sophomore, letter after letter,” said Mullis, who officially signed on the dotted line with the 49ers on Thursday. "I visited early in my junior year, fell in love with the place, I loved the coaches. But when I had to transfer back to East Davidson from Forsyth Country Day, I had discrepancies with how my credits transferred from a private school to a public.

“They (Charlotte) said if I graduated next year, the year after that or two years down the road, they’d stick by me,” Mullis added. “Anywhere they’re going to do that, that’s the right fit for me.”

Mullis’ roundabout path to playing basketball at a high-level Division I school probably makes him even more ready for the challenges of competing in Conference-USA and handling the academic load.

Looming 6-foot-6 as a freshman at East Davidson, he had the Golden Eagles’ basketball coaches drooling before deciding to transfer to Forsyth Country Day. When Mullis returned to Thomasville for his senior year, East coach Matt Ridge was happy to get Mullis back in the lineup.

“When he was a freshman here, he was 6-foot-6. When he was a senior here, he was 6-foot-6 and 225 pounds,” Ridge said. “He had put on a lot of muscle by working in the weight room, developed some fundamentals. He’s got an array of post moves that is just amazing.”

Mullis averaged 21.8 points and 11 rebounds per game for East last season, more than making amends for his departure. East won the Davidson County Christmas tournament for the first time ever, and its 10-6 finish in the Central Carolina 2A Conference was its best in years.

The season capped Mullis’ career in style, but more work remained. Because of the missing credits, he was forced to attend prep school for a year before joining the 49ers. But even that’s not all bad - Laurinburg is considered as one of the top teams in the nation, and Mullis’ entire day revolves around classes and the court.

“Life’s taken me down a lot of roads playing basketball,” said Mullis. “God has blessed me.”

By playing in Charlotte, Mullis will be able to give back to his mother, Debra, and Godparents Rodney and Charity Skipper, without whom he says he “never would have made it.” The offers from Clemson and Tennessee were nice, but not close enough to home to sway Mullis.

“That’s another one of the biggest reasons I picked Charlotte,” he said. “My mom is a single parent and it’s hard for me to be away from her. I love home.”

:thumbsup: :toast:

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Nov 12 2004, 09:09 AM [b]Mullis' roundabout path to playing basketball at a high-level Division I school probably makes him even more ready for the challenges of competing in Conference-USA and handling the academic load. [/b]
D'oh!!!! Oh well, good write up anyway.

Didn’t realize he was such an offensive weapon, 21 a game is pretty nice. Hopefully he will continue to shine this season, his true talent level will be a lot more clear when we see how much time and stats he gets on a team with 13 other D1 players.

Yeah - in a 2A high school conference his scoring and talent abilities may look a little inflated - because generally the 4A have the big time players…but if he transferred and still made an impact…

basically - I haven’t seen Lutz make any real serious recruiting mistakes so I am for Mullis. Just wish Vincent Greer would be passing to him.

I’m gonna be a freshmen next year, and I know Mitch Mullis, and im sorry to say dont get your hopes up I dont think he is star quality. I’m currently a seinor at Tomasville High School (Winners of four consecutive Girls Basketball State champ, and 2005 Football and Mens Basketball State champs) hate to brag but i gotta rep The Ville. Ne waz, ive not only seen this guy play for llike the past 5 years really, but ive played pick up games with him. Granted he has an ok stroke from three and he can dunk with the best of um; I’ve seen him get torn up by some pritty average guys who were smaller than him. He talks a lot of trash and is extremely cocky. Not only that, but while at east davison he impressed me none, that conference is about as competive as a wet noodle, and it aint hard to score 21 pts when you get the ball every trip down court, on a team with talent comparable to hot garbage. Hell I may be a little bias because i dont like the guy but when you get your shit packed three times in a YMCA pick-up game by an unathletic guy who’s only 6-2, there might be a problem. I’m not sayin the guy cant be a solid role player im just doubting his star quality. Who knows Lutz could coach him up and develop into a good player but it would be a damn nere merical to transform him into a D-1 star, unless he knows some voodoo magic, or has connections with the Devil.

I’m really lookin forward to 49er basketball in '06
who are our biggest rivals and how is the student section?

[b]Hell I may be a little bias because i dont like the guy[/b]

LOL, nah, you dont sound biased at all :rolleyes:

Nobody thinks Mullis will be a ‘star’ here, by the way, just liked nobody thought that of Chris Nance. He just has to accept his role and play it.

i seen mullis play when he was a junior and even did an interview whith him (with jason jordan) “he is for real”. he has great hands and passes the ball well, and shoots the ball well too!!

i said “then” he was going to be a good player, and i say now he is going to be good player, and he is very unselfish

he’ll probably play about 10-15 minutes a game next year

he is a “white” curtis withers

he will be fine here, don’t believe that idiot from his high school, i’ve played against curtis at the sac and beat his team, does that mean curtis sucks? NO!!

those guys don’t play for real when they play at the sac, mullis is good trust me!!!

Nice grammer Dubest49er. I suggest staying another year in high school and learning how to spell.
:wow:

[b]he has great hands [/b]
[b]he is a "white" curtis withers[/b]

:o :unsure: :wacko: :blink: :ph34r:

I think Lutz knows what hes doing. Lets not forget Wake recruited Mullis fairly hard

I LOVE Curt, but he might have the worst hands in bball

[i]Originally posted by 49ermullets1[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 12:18 AM [b] Nice grammer Dubest49er. I suggest staying another year in high school and learning how to spell. :wow: [/b]
I'm so sorry my post isn't good enough for Mr. Grammar-Expert Last time i checked this was a sports fourm and not grammar school. Hears a little lesson for you though, next time you post something try sticking relevant to the topic instead of attempting such a lame ass roast. Tell ya what, 49ermullett, if it bothers ya that damn much, instead of posting i'll just send my opinions directly to you so you can have a ball spell-checking um' for me. Why dont ya go read a book or write a paper or find a way to get that stick out of your ass, hell just something to keep you from perusing the sports fourms looking for erroneous grammar.
[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 03:01 AM [b] I LOVE Curt, but he might have the worst hands in bball [/b]
Calvin Clemmons.