MLB Draft 2011

The MLB Draft is tomorrow and it could have a huge affect on the Niners. Let’s take a look at who could get drafted.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2011/

Our Seniors: Justin Wilson, Cory Tilton, Bryan Hamilton, Corey Shaylor, Kevin Gillespie

Underclassment eligible: Andrew Smith, Joe Yermal, Ross Steedley

• Smith will be drafted the highest out of all our players. Let’s hope he sticks around
  • Yermal was drafted in the 37th Round in 2007. He has come back strong from his injury last year, and it will be interestin to see which round he goes in. Let’s hope he stays, especially if Smith leaves
  • The Salisbury Post article on Steedly mentioned he was looking towards this years draft. I wouldn’t think he would go high enough to make him want to leave http://www.salisburypost.com/Sports/060211-ross-steedley-qcd

Incoming Freshmen: Leland Clemmons, Brad Elwood, Scott Hurrell, Brett Lang

• I don’t know much about these guys but have read that Clemmons could get drafted high. Brad Elwood would be next highest, but all these guys could get drafted I am assuming.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/pdf8/724334.pdf?ATCLID=205037810&SPSID=589210&SPID=44796&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200

If all three underclassmen return, I feel like we could be very dangerous next year.

You’re right Lew. A returning rotation of Smith, Barnette, Roberts and Yermal would be very good. It will be interesting to see what the team looks like next season. We’ve got holes to fill and 2B, CF and RF.

None of our guys are listed as prospects at MLB.com. That doesn’t mean they won’t get drafted. I think Smith will.

You can follow the draft here - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2011/

We had some pretty big holes to fill after last year too, and we turned out just find.

I see a very bright future for this team. The guys that are getting the chance to step up look very promising, IMO.

We had some pretty big holes to fill after last year too, and we turned out just find.

I see a very bright future for this team. The guys that are getting the chance to step up look very promising, IMO.[/quote]

No doubt, Lew. I like our future.

You just don’t ever know who is going to step up and produce. Going into this season we were excited about having a very good weekend rotation back (Rothlin, Roberts, Pilkington) and only one of them ended up starting this season. We were also excited about having Yemal back and Barnette coming in as a frosh. What I don’t remember is anyone being excited about having Andrew Smith back coming off of Tommy John surgery. Look how that turned out.

It’s obvious that C-Tilt is going to be missed, but I think that Michael Green has a ton of potential coming in filling that position.

I hear Hibbs is coming back unless he is drafted really high . We’ll be fine.

Wow!!

Fordham baseball recruit Matthew Duran was selected in the 4th round of the 2011 MLB Draft today by the New York Yankees

Seatle Mariners take Dayton pitcher Cameron Hobson with 2nd pick in 11th round.

No Niners drafted through Round 18. Surprising number of A-10 pitchers drafted so far though.

I’m not even goig to try and figure that one out.

Still no Niners after 20 Rounds.

For reference Arkansas has had their C and OF drafted as well as 5 of their recruits.

Arizona State has had 6 guys drafted in the first 20 rounds.

I’m not even goig to try and figure that one out.[/quote]

Where’s the cutoff for most reasonable rising Seniors (e.g. Andrew Smith) to stay, or does such a thing not exist? I don’t really follow the salaries and signing bonuses for draft picks unless they’re newsworthy.

I’m not even goig to try and figure that one out.[/quote]

Where’s the cutoff for most reasonable rising Seniors (e.g. Andrew Smith) to stay, or does such a thing not exist? I don’t really follow the salaries and signing bonuses for draft picks unless they’re newsworthy.[/quote]

Definitely not an exact science, so who knows. Rivers was drafted in the 35th Round last year and left.

Seniors have no contract negotiation leverage in the draft so they naturally will be drafted later…espcecially Andrew Smith who has injury history and doesnt exactly have eye-popping stuff

Smith is a rising Senior so that would not apply to him.

I am surprised at the number of A-10 players that have gone so far in the first 30 Rounds. There are more, but these are the one’s found easily on twitter.

Dayton’s LHP Cameron Hobson becomes the first A-10 player to be taken in the 2011 MLB Draft…11th Rd, 333rd overall to the Mariners

LaSalle’s Cody Weiss…selected in the 14th round (423rd overall) by the Seattle Mariners

St. Joes RHP Ryan Kemp drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 14th round, #445 overall

St. Joes RHP A.J. Holland drafted by Atlanta in the 16th round, #506 overall

Fordham’s Nick Martinez Drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 18th Round

Richmond Junior 3B/SS Adam McConnell drafted by the LA Dodgers in the 30th Round (914th overall)

Our 2 best chances at a high draft pick (Smith and Yermal) have both missed a year due to arm injuries. Unless you are a stud pitcher arm injuries can kill your draft stock. I would’ve loved to have seen some Niners go in the draft but at this point think everyone will return next year (hopefully with a chip on their shoulder) to go along with what appears to be a talented group of freshman coming in. If that is the case I think next year could prove to be a very good year for the Niner baseball.

40 rounds down, 10 more to go. Still no Niners.

I hope to see some of our seniors get selected in the last 10 rounds. Doubt any returning guys or recruits would jump at this point in the draft.

Well, it looks like we will have all our guys back next year which is good news. None of the incoming guys will have to make a decision either.