Morehead State postgame

McNeill is already a better quarterback than Johnson.

In 3 games starting, McNeill is 50/89, 6 TD, 0 INT. His Completion % would be higher if our receivers didn’t have bricks for hands.

He throws a much better pass, makes reads, takes care of the football, and has a higher football IQ. There was a play yesterday where the receiver was totally blankettted and pressure was mounting, and McNeill threw the ball to the receiver low and away where only the receiver could get to it. The ball was dropped by the receiver, but it was such amazing recognition of where to throw the ball to not get intercepted but also to give the receiver a chance. Johnson has not done that in 2 years.

And to pre-empt any “Johnson had to face tougher competition”, McNeill’s stats versus Coastal this year were better than Johnson’s last year. Also, Johnson threw the game away over and over versus Elon and we are their ONLY win (1-10).

That said, neither Johnson nor McNeill should start. Barden is the highest rated player in the 2014 class according to ESPN. Put him on the field.

In 3 games starting, McNeill is 50/89, 6 TD, 0 INT. His Completion % would be higher if our receivers didn’t have bricks for hands.

He throws a much better pass, makes reads, takes care of the football, and has a higher football IQ. There was a play yesterday where the receiver was totally blankettted and pressure was mounting, and McNeill threw the ball to the receiver low and away where only the receiver could get to it. The ball was dropped by the receiver, but it was such amazing recognition of where to throw the ball to not get intercepted but also to give the receiver a chance. Johnson has not done that in 2 years.

And to pre-empt any “Johnson had to face tougher competition”, McNeill’s stats versus Coastal this year were better than Johnson’s last year. Also, Johnson threw the game away over and over versus Elon and we are their ONLY win (1-10).

That said, neither Johnson nor McNeill should start. Barden is the highest rated player in the 2014 class according to ESPN. Put him on the field.[/quote]

I would agree that Lee is the better passer of the two. The one advantage Johnson gives us is his ability to run the ball and even barrel through players. I’d much rather have Matt in the game on a QB sneak. The question is does his running ability outweighs his turnovers? Probably not.

I’m hearing that Cook may play OLB since he is a little smaller and faster with Clayton-Molby and Crouser at ILB.

That said, neither Johnson nor McNeill should start. Barden is the highest rated player in the 2014 class according to ESPN. Put him on the field.[/quote]

I would agree that Lee is the better passer of the two. The one advantage Johnson gives us is his ability to run the ball and even barrel through players. I’d much rather have Matt in the game on a QB sneak. The question is does his running ability outweighs his turnovers? Probably not.[/quote]

Lee doesn’t seem to have the chemistry that Matt has with Duke, but I think his accuracy in the short passing game gives us the greater chance to win. I really think Lee would have won against Elon, and maybe Gardner-Webb. He has fewer big plays, but he also has fewer game changing mistakes.

This is true, but I’m not sure it’s as severe as it seems. Morehead St was literally doubling Duke every play. DB up close and safety (literally) lined up behind him only covering Duke.

McNeill was smart enough not to force it, but still hit him a couple times. Teams are definitely gameplanning for Duke now.

One thing that hurts Duke with Johnson being out if the long passes no longer being there. He can no longer depend on simply out running his guy because McNeil doesn’t have the arm strength Johnson does.

Hopefully Barden will give us the advantages of both in one package.

I’m just ecstatic that the “one read, sling into coverage” strategy isn’t due to coaching.

[quote=“eason49, post:27, topic:29168”]I’m just ecstatic that the “one read, sling into coverage” strategy isn’t due to coaching.[/quote]haha

[quote=“Niner National, post:26, topic:29168”]One thing that hurts Duke with Johnson being out if the long passes no longer being there. He can no longer depend on simply out running his guy because McNeil doesn’t have the arm strength Johnson does.

Hopefully Barden will give us the advantages of both in one package.[/quote]

I doubt Barden can lower his shoulder and run over people to get the first down like Matty J does. Barden looks a litttle scrawney.

[quote=“trickynbc, post:29, topic:29168”][quote=“Niner National, post:26, topic:29168”]One thing that hurts Duke with Johnson being out if the long passes no longer being there. He can no longer depend on simply out running his guy because McNeil doesn’t have the arm strength Johnson does.

I doubt Barden can lower his shoulder and run over people to get the first down like Matty J does. Barden looks a litttle scrawney.[/quote]

I’d rather have a QB in the pocket to begin with

[quote=“s9er, post:30, topic:29168”][quote=“trickynbc, post:29, topic:29168”][quote=“Niner National, post:26, topic:29168”]One thing that hurts Duke with Johnson being out if the long passes no longer being there. He can no longer depend on simply out running his guy because McNeil doesn’t have the arm strength Johnson does.

I doubt Barden can lower his shoulder and run over people to get the first down like Matty J does. Barden looks a litttle scrawney.[/quote]

I’d rather have a QB in the pocket to begin with[/quote]This. I don’t mind a QB running, but I don’t want my starting QB to double as a full back.

I want him to slide if he’s about to get hit.

[quote=“cibik02, post:7, topic:29168”]Uh huh had to have his voice heard at the end of the senior recognition when it was quiet. He use to not bother me as much but damn he’s getting annoying. #attentionwhore[/quote] A-hole supreme.

Exactly! Why not offer half price tickets to fill up the stands for senior day.[/quote] Half price & let someone the f’ck know they are available.

Exactly! Why not offer half price tickets to fill up the stands for senior day.[/quote] Half price & let someone the f’ck know they are available.[/quote]

There are still way too many people that think there are no tickets available. We need to hit the reset button

Saw him walking in before the game signs in hand, down one of the bigger hills near the Union… I was rooting for him to fall