Most unusual foriegn team nicknames

I think the best foreign nicknames were the Playboys (Honka Espo Playboys of Finland,) & the Crocodiles (Townsville Crocodiles of Australia.) These were the team names for some foreign players.
The other teams were:
Guandong Southern Tigers of China
Climamio Bologna of Italy
DVK Joventut of Spain
Tau CerAkjmica Vitoria of Spain
Cherkaski Mavpi of Ukraine
Siroki Prima of Bosnia
Beijing Aoshen of China
Akasvayu Girona of Spain
Olympiakos of Greece
Olimpi Laresa of Greece
&
Mega Ishrana of Serbia.
Most of them don’t tell you their mascot though.

Akasvayu Girona of Spain

at first glance i thought that said ask va you gonorrhea

I think the best foreign nicknames were the Playboys (Honka Espo Playboys of Finland,) & the Crocodiles (Townsville Crocodiles of Australia.) These were the team names for some foreign players. The other teams were: Guandong Southern Tigers of China Climamio Bologna of Italy DVK Joventut of Spain Tau CerAkjmica Vitoria of Spain Cherkaski Mavpi of Ukraine Siroki Prima of Bosnia Beijing Aoshen of China Akasvayu Girona of Spain Olympiakos of Greece Olimpi Laresa of Greece & Mega Ishrana of Serbia. Most of them don't tell you their mascot though.

Did it ever occur to you that most of these aren’t unusual names, they are just ordinary names but in a different languange, becuase… brace yourself… many other countries don’t use English as their national language! ::gasp::

Now the Banana Slugs of UC-somethingorother, now that’s an unusual name. Or how about the Anteaters of UCI.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;246148]Did it ever occur to you that most of these aren’t unusual names, they are just ordinary names but in a different languange, becuase… brace yourself… many other countries don’t use English as their national language! ::gasp::[/QUOTE]
:lmao:

Pro ballclub goes deep with very long name
Updated 26d ago | Comments 4 | Recommend 6 E-mail | Save | Print |

Staff and wire reports
What’s in a baseball team’s name?
Just ask the Long Beach Armada professional baseball team, which Tuesday changed its official name to (no joke) the Long Beach Armada of Los Angeles of California of the United States of North America Including Barrow, Alaska.

The name is the longest in pro sports in the world and will have a long abbreviation, LBALACUSNAIBA.

The Armada have partnered with Barrow, Alaska, to form the northernmost sister city franchise in pro baseball.

“In order to better reach the larger Armada Nation, we felt compelled to lengthen the name to incorporate all our fans stretching from the warm beaches of Los Angeles to the frigid beaches of the Arctic Circle,” Golden Baseball league CEO Dave Kaval said.

Kaval also credited the Angels bid to market their club as a Los Angeles team instead of just from Anaheim for the long name including several locations.

But why Barrow, Alaska, a town with 4,500 people where freezing temperatures are common?

“Our unique location does not preclude a potential fan base,” said a spokesman for Mayor Nate Olemaun in a press release acquired by the Long Beach Press-Telegram.

“With all the Armada games being broadcast on the worldwide web, the great people of Barrow will now join the ranks of cities with professional baseball,” according to the release.

The team also announced plans to have a Barrow, Alaska Day in Long Beach on July 30th.

Yes, I realize they might sound normal in other languages, & Kenny may sound wierd in languages other than English, but that’s not my point.
My point is how it sounds in English.
I heard KFC translated into Mandarin to eat their chicken, but they mistranslated as to sleep with the chicken. Even though I don’t speak Mandarin Chinese, doesn’t mean I can’t think it’s funny.

Did it ever occur to you that most of these aren't unusual names, they are just ordinary names but in a different languange, becuase.. brace yourself.. many other countries don't use English as their national language! ::gasp::

Yeah, ok…that’s funny.

I remember…YEARS ago…I saw a special where Coca-Cola had to adjust it’s name for marketing in China because: If pronounced as it is spelled in English, it would sound like a phrase in Chinese that would translate to:

“Bite the wax tadpole”

... many other countries don't use English as their national language! ::gasp::

Say it ain’t so!!

[QUOTE=KTown49er;247362]Yeah, ok…that’s funny.

I remember…YEARS ago…I saw a special where Coca-Cola had to adjust it’s name for marketing in China because: If pronounced as it is spelled in English, it would sound like a phrase in Chinese that would translate to:

“Bite the wax tadpole”[/QUOTE]
:lmao:
I had not heard of that before… :lmao: