Move-in week stories

We’ve crested over the 5000 mark with folks living on campus.

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/top-stories/More-Students-Living-On-Campus-at-UNC-Charlotte-128151623.html

http://universitycity.wbtv.com/news/schools/66165-move-day-security-focus-uncc

The Disturber:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/08/22/2544439/uncc-students-feel-the-deep-cuts.html

Interesting that the Observer’s piece was the only negative piece of the three. Imagine that. As always, the comments section is lol.

Interesting that the Observer's piece was the only negative piece of the three. Imagine that. As always, the comments section is lol.

Seems par for the course to me from that paper. Why do I get the impression we’ll be the only D1 program in NC that in 20 years time will still have folks like igliigli and sindartech still blaming football for taking away money from academics?

[quote=“VA49er, post:3, topic:25629”]Interesting that the Observer’s piece was the only negative piece of the three. Imagine that. As always, the comments section is lol.[/quote] The Observer story was negative indeed. I found its negative tone directed not so much toward UNC Charlotte , but to the lack of funding from Raleigh. As to the comments section, well, many simpletons will always continue to condemn us for adding football at a time of overall economic weakness. Even if they were right, which they aren’t, it would be too late to change course.

With all of these challenges why don’t they raise tuition levels. I live in Iowa and Iowa State University for In-State tuition is $7,486 compared to UNCC’s $2,720. UNCC’s costs are just above our local community college which is $196 per credit hour. I plan on sending my kids to UNCC and pay the out of state fees which is just slightly higher than Iowa colleges. That is probably why you saw someone from Albuquerque, NM there dropping off their kid.

With all of these challenges why don't they raise tuition levels. I live in Iowa and Iowa State University for In-State tuition is $7,486 compared to UNCC's $2,720. UNCC's costs are just above our local community college which is $196 per credit hour. I plan on sending my kids to UNCC and pay the out of state fees which is just slightly higher than Iowa colleges. That is probably why you saw someone from Albuquerque, NM there dropping off their kid.

The NC state constitution requires public college education to be as near to free as possible. Raising tuition significantly to cover the cost difference might be an option in other states, but here it could lead to a class action lawsuit against the state government. Also, anyone see the BS in London when they raised tuition on universities in Britain?

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:7, topic:25629”]

With all of these challenges why don’t they raise tuition levels. I live in Iowa and Iowa State University for In-State tuition is $7,486 compared to UNCC’s $2,720. UNCC’s costs are just above our local community college which is $196 per credit hour. I plan on sending my kids to UNCC and pay the out of state fees which is just slightly higher than Iowa colleges. That is probably why you saw someone from Albuquerque, NM there dropping off their kid.

The NC state constitution requires public college education to be as near to free as possible. Raising tuition significantly to cover the cost difference might be an option in other states, but here it could lead to a class action lawsuit against the state government. Also, anyone see the BS in London when they raised tuition on universities in Britain?[/quote]

Yep, saw an article on the London tuitiion increase. Even Oxford has someone in the States fundraising. Not sure how the whole NC constitution thing will play out with regard to college affordability. I mean, eventually the economics will have to be realized.

my lil bro started there today to carry on the name.

heard he was up last night till 4am. i guess he’s starting off on the right foot. seriously though, i hope he buckles down.

i have every expectation that he will shine on the niner sidelines at basketball games. cant be any worse than chisox!