MSP interviewed Minnesota coach this A.M.

Surprised no one else has mentioned this. As one who hardly ever listens to FNZ except when the Niners or Lutz Live is on, I tuned in this morning on the drive to work.

They had Minnesota coach Dan Monson on and asked him if he’d be willing to give Vincent Grier back to the Niners. That brought an emphatic “NO!” from Monson.

Now, there’d be an interesting home game next season – Charlotte versus Minnesota in Halton Arena. I know it won’t happen, but still…

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 10:46 AM [b] Surprised no one else has mentioned this. As one who hardly ever listens to FNZ except when the Niners or Lutz Live is on, I tuned in this morning on the drive to work.

They had Minnesota coach Dan Monson on and asked him if he’d be willing to give Vincent Grier back to the Niners. That brought an emphatic “NO!” from Monson.

Now, there’d be an interesting home game next season – Charlotte versus Minnesota in Halton Arena. I know it won’t happen, but still… [/b]

I heard it. Monson can keep Greir.

We don’t need any punks.

I knew Grier in highschool (until after his sophmore year when he went to one of those mt. zion type bball prep schools) and he is a pretty good player. Now I don’t know this for sure, but I would bet he left charlotte (and went to jr. college before minnesota), because he couldn’t handle the academics here at UNCC. He’s not the most book smart guy in the bunch. I wouldn’t take Grier back, because I don’t think he would mesh well with our team, but when he graduates I bet he will be a first rounder in the draft.

[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 11:34 AM [b] Monson can keep Greir.

We don’t need any punks. [/b]

Ditto.

I’m as proud of my school as anybody but minnesota is no slacker college

[i]Originally posted by DownwithNBA[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 12:54 PM [b] I'm as proud of my school as anybody but minnesota is no slacker college [/b]
That's right and this Minnesota alum will let you know it! Wooo!!!

[i]Originally posted by run49er+Mar 16 2005, 12:58 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Mar 16 2005, 12:58 PM)
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Mar 16 2005, 01:01 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Mar 16 2005, 01:01 PM)
Originally posted by run49er@Mar 16 2005, 12:58 PM [b]
[i]Originally posted by Lutz Looney[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 12:05 PM [b] I knew Grier in highschool (until after his sophmore year when he went to one of those mt. zion type bball prep schools) and he is a pretty good player. Now I don't know this for sure, but I would bet he left charlotte (and went to jr. college before minnesota), because he couldn't handle the academics here at UNCC. He's not the most book smart guy in the bunch. I wouldn't take Grier back, because I don't think he would mesh well with our team, but when he graduates I bet he will be a first rounder in the draft. [/b]
A coach should find a way to make a first round draft pick mesh with the rest of the team.

Also, I find it amusing that people would defend starting BP over VG. Yes, let’s sit the NBA player on the bench.

I don’t blame Grier for leaving, I wouldn’t want to come off the bench for three years either.

[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 01:04 PM [b]WalMart Gator fan.......[/b]
Interesting that you would mention Wal-Mart... :lol:

Link: Ric Flair and Wal-Mart

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 01:58 PM [b]

[/b]

“You don’t come to Charlotte and push me around…Jack!!!”

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 01:06 PM [b] I don't blame Grier for leaving, I wouldn't want to come off the bench for three years either. [/b]
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back IMO. I'd rather have guys who want to be part of something rather than guys interested in putting up numbers.
[i]Originally posted by Powerbait+Mar 16 2005, 01:06 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Powerbait @ Mar 16 2005, 01:06 PM)
[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 01:17 PM [b] Grier is a phenomenal player and I wish he could have finished his career at Charlotte, but it was best for him and us that he left. 'Nuff said. [/b]
I agree. As Monson pointed out on his MSP interview, Minnesota didn't have much coming back this year. Adam Boone was lost to an injury and the returning players COMBINED didn't average 10 points a game! The oppotunity for someone to come in like Grier and have a blow up season was there for the taking.

Valid arguements on both sides, however since he’s not here we’ll never know. I still enjoy watching him play. He’s exciting.

PB, do you know for a fact that is why Grier left and do you know for a fact that BP would have started in front of Grier? I think what Grier’s role here would be is totally up for speculation. I don’t think there is any guarentee that Lutz would start Plavich over Grier. I don’t think anyone is saying that Plavich is more talented then Grier. We will never know how Grier would have turned it out if he stayed here 4 years. He left for reasons we don’t know unless we have board members that stalk the team.

[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 01:17 PM [b] I don't think you can make someone be a team player. [/b]
Exactly. Any assertion otherwise is moronic. Some people just have to have someone to blame other than the person. Athletes as a whole get that benefit more than anyone else.

There is exactly zero evidence that Grier would be producing here like he can at Minn. He’s the only option there and that’s how he likes it. Here he’d have been at best the 2nd, probably the 3rd option for scoring. He wouldn’t have liked that and his attitude would have gotten in the way.

It’s been said by Lutz on more than one occassion that we’ve been successful because our team is so unselfish. That wouldn’t have been the case with Grier here.

fordniner has it right. Him leaving was best for us and best for him. Very seldom our situations like that. We were fortunate.

OK Please Hear Me for the 10th time.

Vince specifically told me the reason he left was that he didn’t want to play the 3 and that’s what Bobby wanted him to be. He said his NBA position is the 2 and he needs to pursue the NBA. That’s his only future is basketball. That is why he left Charlotte. He would not have played the 2 because Bobby didn’t want him to be a 2. He wanted him to be the successor to Eddie at the wing.

[b]The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back[/b]

Someone should have told Demon that.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 03:09 PM [b] Someone should have told Demon that. [/b]
I second that.

I think we’ve been lucky over the years that we’ve not had too many players that thought of themselves first and the team second.