MTSU postgame

True but I think we need to look at the close games in their totality to get an accurate representation of the season.

-FAU. We were in control most of the game, almost blew it.

-FIU . We were in control did blow it.

-Marshall. 50-50

-Rice. Dominant and let it slip away.

-MTSU 50-50.

It wasn’t like we were hanging and could have won more, we should have been 4-1 in those games not 2-3. This makes the season encouraging and frustrating at the same time.

Plz tell us you really did not think this was the case…that’s a low information type conclusion you came to[/quote]

No it isn’t. Our first class was signed in Feb 2012. CUSA announced expansion in May of the same year. There is no way our coaching staff didn’t know how the conference talk was going. If they were not informed, they should have demanded to be informed by the AD.

I wanted 4 wins as a floor this year and got that. However, I dont think it is unreasonable to adjust expectations mid season when the four wins came as early as they did against the teams they did. And the fact that we had so many close losses makes it harder to swallow.

The biggest thing is the Rice game. We had zero business losing that game up 21-0 against a one win team when all we would have needed after that was to win one more to be bowl eligible. We had to find a way to win that game and being up, we should have. We pissed that game down our legs at the worst possible time and coaching was a huge part of that.

Jury is still out for me on Lambert. Mullen has proven himself to not be capable of putting complete games together at this level. I’m just kinda disgusted because 4 wins is an improvement but there is no doubt we should already have 5 at least, but probably 6 or 7 right now. We clearly have the players to do it, but they have to be put in a position to succeed. It would have been so great to send the seniors out with a bowl appearance as a culmination of all the risks they took to play for a program that didn’t exist when they signed. Would have been a great story and super helpful on recruiting trail. Instead, more ninerdom.

Plz tell us you really did not think this was the case…that’s a low information type conclusion you came to[/quote]

No it isn’t. Our first class was signed in Feb 2012. CUSA announced expansion in May of the same year. There is no way our coaching staff didn’t know how the conference talk was going. If they were not informed, they should have demanded to be informed by the AD.[/quote]

Truth sportsman… We were in CSUA before the ink was even dry on the football paperwork.

ODU is currently 8-3 and they are only in their 3rd year of FBS. I guess we can hope we are 8-3 next year or we can express concern because we are worried we may not have a winning record next year.

I am starting to have my doubts about next year, but I will refrain judgment until then. This season has been one big tease.

I was there the whole game as well as all of the other home games this season at least for 99% of the plays, however that doesn’t make me superior to the other alumni on this board. The thing is that this is a message board for fans who can talk positively or negatively about our teams. If you came here looking for your Saturday morning GameDay full of former coaches and players then you should be disappointed. However, many of us have been fans of the game for many decades. We know good football and coaching when we see it as well as the bad. Keep in mind that both coordinators have been run off from other programs for various reasons. It shouldn’t be a surprise when we say Mullen is not a good OC. Other people who ARE coaches have thought the same. MT is certainly not the same team that beat the SEC team nor are we the same one the got pounded by ODU. The expectations do move on a weekly basis.

MT really had nothing to play for and we had everything to play for Saturday that was why it was so disappointing to see them come out of the gate on fire and we looked lethargic.

[quote=“49r9r, post:85, topic:30641”]ODU is currently 8-3 and they are only in their 3rd year of FBS. I guess we can hope we are 8-3 next year or we can express concern because we are worried we may not have a winning record next year.

I am starting to have my doubts about next year, but I will refrain judgment until then. This season has been one big tease.[/quote]

True, but ODU also had 3-4- extra years of FCS as compared to us and that does help, IMO.

[quote=“49r9r, post:85, topic:30641”]ODU is currently 8-3 and they are only in their 3rd year of FBS. I guess we can hope we are 8-3 next year or we can express concern because we are worried we may not have a winning record next year.

I am starting to have my doubts about next year, but I will refrain judgment until then. This season has been one big tease.[/quote]

When UAB is more competitive in CUSA next year than we are I what people will say then?

ODU has also had 2 NFL caliber QBs at the helm for the past 3 years. yes, I believe Washington will get a look from a few teams. We may not have one in Hassan but the O-Line has not given him a chance and neither have the head scratching routes the receivers have run. Throwing east to west with no blockers in place is troubling. I think Hassan has the arm strength, speed and touch to really make a difference next year but he’s going to have to rely on better play from his team mates.

[quote=“NinerWiner, post:90, topic:30641”][quote=“49r9r, post:85, topic:30641”]ODU is currently 8-3 and they are only in their 3rd year of FBS. I guess we can hope we are 8-3 next year or we can express concern because we are worried we may not have a winning record next year.

ODU has also had 2 NFL caliber QBs at the helm for the past 3 years. yes, I believe Washington will get a look from a few teams. We may not have one in Hassan but the O-Line has not given him a chance and neither have the head scratching routes the receivers have run. Throwing east to west with no blockers in place is troubling. I think Hassan has the arm strength, speed and touch to really make a difference next year but he’s going to have to rely on better play from his team mates.[/quote]

better Oline play will definitely help Hassan next year. He had too many balls deflected this past weekend, but not sure if it was his fault or poor blocking that caused all those. I would definetly like to see him or any Qb for us get more chances to throw more vertical passes or passes in the seams. All these east/wwest routes are crazy.

No it isn’t. Our first class was signed in Feb 2012. CUSA announced expansion in May of the same year. There is no way our coaching staff didn’t know how the conference talk was going. If they were not informed, they should have demanded to be informed by the AD.[/quote]

1). Most of our guys verballed long before CUSA happened (and it happened quick). We’ve got 16 guys signed right now for 2017 in November.

2). Houston, SMU and UCF didn’t leave to go the “Big East” until December 2011. Memphis wasn’t included until February 2012. We weren’t getting into CUSA until those schools went away. I’m sure Lambert was already recruiting for 2013 at this point.

3.). I can’t get past that you think FBS level players would have come here that first season knowing that a) we were going to play as a FCS independent for a year with no chance a playoff bid and b) we were on paper not eligible to be in a bowl at all in 2015 (Marshall rule). What’s Brad recruiting spiel? “Hey we might get into conference USA, but we might be a FCS independent for four years. Sign here please”.

1). Most of our guys verballed long before CUSA happened (and it happened quick). We’ve got 16 guys signed right now for 2017 in November.

2). Houston, SMU and UCF didn’t leave to go the “Big East” until December 2011. Memphis wasn’t included until February 2012. We weren’t getting into CUSA until those schools went away. I’m sure Lambert was already recruiting for 2013 at this point.

3.). I can’t get past that you think FBS level players would have come here that first season knowing that a) we were going to play as a FCS independent for a year with no chance a playoff bid and b) we were on paper not eligible to be in a bowl at all in 2015 (Marshall rule). What’s Brad recruiting spiel? “Hey we might get into conference USA, but we might be a FCS independent for four years. Sign here please”.[/quote]

You think we didn’t know we were going to CUSA well before announced. I do. That is the difference.

3.). I can’t get past that you think FBS level players would have come here that first season knowing that a) we were going to play as a FCS independent for a year with no chance a playoff bid and b) we were on paper not eligible to be in a bowl at all in 2015 (Marshall rule). What’s Brad recruiting spiel? “Hey we might get into conference USA, but we might be a FCS independent for four years. Sign here please”.[/quote]

You think we didn’t know we were going to CUSA well before announced. I do. That is the difference.[/quote]

Even if you do think that, then the earliest that a slot would’ve opened up is December and the latest is February (therefore, the earliest we could’ve even thought talks were going well was after a slot was open for us to possibly be able to take). If we knew at the earliest possible time (December) and then signed guys in February, how exactly were we supposed to recruit a roster of FBS guys in a month or two? Especially when the class was pretty much filled already, at that point.

As you have probably guessed from the Big12 meetings this year, though, most schools in the running didn’t know whether they were going to be included until the morning of the announcement that no schools were to be included.

You think we didn’t know we were going to CUSA well before announced. I do. That is the difference.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I’m saying. This news came out nowhere. We weren’t getting an invite to CUSA until schools left. There was talk of merging CUSA and the Mountain West well into 2012. We wouldn’t have been involved in that.
The fact that had never played a down of football and got into a FBS conference is amazing. We have Terry Holland at ECU to thank for that as he lobbied for us.

Regarding Lamberts future, we know what we’re going to get.

He’s a great guy, a good program manager and will run a clean program. He also can’t coach out of a hat and our recruiting has been average at best. Honestly looking at the budget we have for coaches, this might be the best we can get. Our OC/DC are making a pittance compared to our conference mates. IMO that falls on the AD.

The problem with this season is the opportunities we missed. To build a successful program you need special season’s to happen. 6-6 would have been special season for a 4th year program. It would have gotten attention, improved recruiting and built up the fan base. Instead we’re left arguing about how we should be happy with 4 wins. Chances for special seasons don’t happen often, its sad we’ve wasted an opportunity.

Still though in the grand scheme of things 4 wins is an improvement. A season that in typical Niner fashion is very “meh”.

We have been losing to teams we have no business losing to since the beginning.

What is our APR? Last year they had 3 teams that were 5-7 go bowling because they were short, & picked based on APR. If we beat UTSA, we might still make a bowl.

Guilty. To my defense, I WAS there at 9:30 a.m. to commence tailgating activities (which is really the reason I keep renewing my season tickets and will do so again next season). It was an epic tailgate. Our tailgate is definitely bowl eligible.

By the way, we stayed until the end of the 3rd. I think the team responded to our departure as we immediately started scoring and tied it up. When I got him, I turned the stream on just in time to see them score the final TD. I think I should probably just not attend games anymore for the good of the program if this last game was any indication.

Does this mean we may be playing for a shot at a bowl for the 3rd week in a row?