My live take on the RU / Charlotte game...

I sat baseline at the game last night and it was an excellent game.

I thought we played the best basketball offensively that we have all year. The main reasons were:

Going inside then outside
No forced shots
Good screening
Good decision making
Pushing the ball
Rebounding
Free Throws

We have rebounded pretty well all year and it showed tonight, we owned them on the boards. It was like men amongst boys in that department.

We still don’t play the best defense, but there were stretches where the defense was very good. Douby will probably be the best all around guard we have this year and we couldn’t do anything to stop him. As for him being a punk, on the court he does have an attitude, one that you love to hate (e.g. JJ Reddick, Julius Hodge, Chris Paul). I didn’t notice the elbows many of you are talking about live, but it could have been my angle. I have met the kid on a few occasions and have friends that are close to him and he isn’t a bad kid.

If we played with this type of composure and discipline on offense all year we would be at least 8-3. There are a lot of new faces so I guess it is going to take time. Leemire was clutch at the end, but needs to get stronger. He was getting tossed around like a rag doll while setting those screens in the paint. He was definitely tough though and I commend him for it.

It was nice seeing some Niner fans in Jersey, now I know I am not the only one. There were even some good looking girls rooting for the Niners as well.

I had a run in with a Rutgers fan in the 2nd half were he told me to go home and I replied “Actually, I am” and he couldn’t say anything back and people laughed at him.

My optimism is back and I look forward to seeing them live again in da Bronx @ Fordham.

As for him being a punk, on the court he does have an attitude, one that you love to hate (e.g. JJ Reddick

leave JJ out of this, he is way better than douby, and i have never seen him throw and elbow. I get what you are saying though, I am glad we had some support up in NJ.

[QUOTE=ninerID;146138]leave JJ out of this, he is way better than douby, and i have never seen him throw and elbow. I[/QUOTE]

you are kidding. correct? i’m talking about about reddick never throwing elbows. you may need to take off those duke/acc tinted glasses.

glad to hear we had some fans at the rutgers game.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;146133]I had a run in with a Rutgers fan in the 2nd half were he told me to go home and I replied “Actually, I am” and he couldn’t say anything back and people laughed at him.

[/QUOTE]

excellent! excellent!

nice job!

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;146133] Douby will probably be the best all around guard we have this year and we couldn’t do anything to stop him. As for him being a punk, on the court he does have an attitude, one that you love to hate (e.g. JJ Reddick, Julius Hodge, Chris Paul). I didn’t notice the elbows many of you are talking about live, but it could have been my angle. I have met the kid on a few occasions and have friends that are close to him and he isn’t a bad kid.[/QUOTE]

I don’t love to hate. I just simply disgust with guys possess talent as this punk does and have the need to act like a thug. Attitude is good but intend to hurt another player is unacceptable. I guess it’s the Jersey thing and I wouldn’t understand. Or may be it’s in the water. I just love one thing that our guys didn’t retaliate. I don’t think I could keep my composure at pick up game if someone keeps on swinging his chicken wings at me. IMO, Douby is a thug.

[QUOTE=Niner89;146175]I don’t love to hate. I just simply disgust with guys possess talent as this punk does and have the need to act like a thug. Attitude is good but intend to hurt another player is unacceptable. I guess it’s the Jersey thing and I wouldn’t understand. Or may be it’s in the water. I just love one thing that our guys didn’t retaliate. I don’t think I could keep my composure at pick up game if someone keeps on swinging his chicken wings at me. IMO, Douby is a thug.[/QUOTE]

You would get your *ss kicked if you did what Dooby did in a pickup game.

FWIW, there were at least 2 occasions where Withers fell on top of a Rutgers player while play continued on the other end of the floor. Both times Withers held the other guy down, then very, very slowly lifted himself up off the dude (couldn’t tell you who was underneath him either time) and jogged down. I didn’t understand why he didn’t just get up, since it was pretty obvious no foul was going to be called. My only guess is that Withers was trying to intimidate? I don’t know. Couldn’t understand the logic of the team’s best player taking himself out.

FWIW, there were at least 2 occasions where Withers fell on top of a Rutgers player while play continued on the other end of the floor. Both times Withers held the other guy down, then very, very slowly lifted himself up off the dude (couldn't tell you who was underneath him either time) and jogged down. I didn't understand why he didn't just get up, since it was pretty obvious no foul was going to be called. My only guess is that Withers was trying to intimidate? I don't know. Couldn't understand the logic of the team's best player taking himself out.

i noticed this once, players get tangled up all the time. Also throw in the fact that withers was limping most of the second half.

I don’t understand why the Rutgers coach lets Douby throw those cheap shots like he does. That’s a good way to get your star player in foul trouble or even ejected, not to mention the risk of injury from retaliation.

The cheap shots we experienced in the Rutgers game was good practice for our game against Temple.