My Observations/Rants

I’m pissed, here are my gripes

1. Good teams do not lose 4 of their first 8 home games. This is flat out unacceptable. I’m thrilled that we do well on the road. I want to see it in Halton.
  2. We are horrible on D. In years past our defensive shortcomings have been greatly aided by having 1 defensive stopper. We don’t have one and it shows. X had waaaaay too many open 3’s.
    3.The officiating sucked… But it didn’t have a thing to do with the outcome. You make your own “luck”/breaks. X get’s in your face, because of it they probably get away with more ticky tack shit than we do. I wish we played with the same intensity.
  3. I want to know what the deal with the staff was tonight. With 6 minutes keft they were basically glued to the bench. I don’t give a shit what the score it, they should still be up coaching the team.

This team frustrates me

The officiating was disgraceful but it’s not why we lost the game. Xavier is one of the most athletic, aggressive and physical teams I’ve seen all year. They go after every ball as if their lives depend on it. They just flat out kicked our ass from a physical standpoint. Withers played his butt off but he couldn’t do it alone. Didn’t help that Nance/Coleman got into foul trouble either because all it did was allow Xavier to bunch up on Curt. Not sure what was up with Mitch but I just didn’t feel like he was all there tonight. He played uninspired ball.

They wanted it more than we did tonight, plain and simple. The better team (tonight), won the game, without a doubt. I wish we played that hard every game and we’d come out on top more often than not. My hat is off to Xavier…they deserved the win more than we did.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;148747]The officiating was disgraceful but it’s not why we lost the game. Xavier is one of the most athletic, aggressive and physical teams I’ve seen all year. They go after every ball as if their lives depend on it. They just flat out kicked our ass from a physical standpoint. Withers played his butt off but he couldn’t do it alone. Didn’t help that Nance/Coleman got into foul trouble either because all it did was allow Xavier to bunch up on Curt. Not sure what was up with Mitch but I just didn’t feel like he was all there tonight. He played uninspired ball.

They wanted it more than we did tonight, plain and simple. The better team (tonight), won the game, without a doubt. I wish we played that hard every game and we’d come out on top more often than not. My hat is off to Xavier…they deserved the win more than we did.[/QUOTE]

If you didn’t go to the game. Read this post, it says it all.

I agree completely. Xavier looked like a much better team tonight. The crowd seemed pretty unispired tonight as well.

1. Good teams do not lose 4 of their first 8 home games.

Hello, we’re not a good team. This is something we’ve known for a number of weeks now. We have won some games but name one opponent that was worth a crap that we beat? Not a single win on our schedule can you point to as a legit tournament team. We’re a bad team that’s beaten other bad teams.

The winning streak I think lulled us back into thinking this team was going to end up being what we thought before the season. They won’t be. They are bad, plain and simple. We are as streaky as they come and that’s not going to change. We can shoot against teams that don’t play good D, X doesn’t qualify.

We’re bad. Don’t let yourself get fooled into thinking otherwise.

Xavier played a good offensive game and a great defensive game. We gave them open shots, and when we didn’t, they worked the ball around and found one or got it inside.

Their D was great, we had no answer. Our first 10 points or so were from inside the paint, then we settled into our 3 point gunning ways and it all fell apart because they weren’t falling.

Xavier is a good team, they have great size and they can kill you from the inside or outside and their defense was very impressive tonight. Hats off to them, they beat us in every aspect of the game tonight.

MK = Voice of reason

Xavier is a good team, they have great size and they can kill you from the inside or outside and their defense was very impressive tonight. Hats off to them, they beat us in every aspect of the game tonight.

Yeah, I was surprised at how many big bodies, with talent, they had. They are a very big, physical team that can shoot the ball from anywhere on the court. #15 only made contact with the rim on one shot tonight and it was a free throw. That kid can shoot.

I have a couple too, but I was waiting for somebody to go first. :smile:

1. We were outmuscled on O and D. I thought that wasn’t supposed to happen anymore.

2. Our offense looked almost as bad as it did when we were 1 - 3. Credit X’s defense for playing tough but we helped them to look good. Curt was having a good game tonight and instead of trying to feed him we tried to do it from the outside. We took early shots, we took bad shots. We didn’t drive much and when we did we looked to shoot first. We settled instead of going with what has worked. Leemire was 5 - 17 tonight. [B]5 - 17!!![/B] Curt was 5 - 10.

3. Our defense looked worse than our offense. I almost started to guard 15… We left guys way too open and they didn’t even have to pass 3 - 4 times to find an open man. I saw several times where somebody on D was trying to figure out who they were supposed to be guarding.

4. Did anybody but Withers play with any heart tonight? He had almost half our rebounds and half our blocks. He played a very good game and only got 2 shots in the second half.

5. Inconsistent. I don’t think I have ever seen a more inconsistent Niner team. Sometimes DA plays well, sometimes Lee plays well, Baldwin…

6. Was it just me or did we seem to give up with about 4 minutes left? I know we were down by about 15 at the time but there was still time for a run.

There’s more but I’ll just stop there. The most frustrating thing is that I know we are a better team then how we played tonight. Congrats to X, they were certainly the better team tonight.

Hello, we're [B]not[/B] a good team. This is something we've known for a number of weeks now. We have won some games but name one opponent that was worth a crap that we beat? Not a single win on our schedule can you point to as a legit tournament team. We're a bad team that's beaten other bad teams.

The winning streak I think lulled us back into thinking this team was going to end up being what we thought before the season. They won’t be. They are bad, plain and simple. We are as streaky as they come and that’s not going to change. We can shoot against teams that don’t play good D, X doesn’t qualify.

My thoughts exactly, although we have improved and I hoped we would continue to improve throughout the season. A good defensive team shows us how hard it is for us to score.

Hello, we're [B]not[/B] a good team. This is something we've known for a number of weeks now. We have won some games but name one opponent that was worth a crap that we beat? Not a single win on our schedule can you point to as a legit tournament team. We're a bad team that's beaten other bad teams.

“If the truth hurts, say ouch.”

Ouch.

My thoughts exactly, although we have improved and I hoped we would continue to improve throughout the season. A good defensive team shows us how hard it is for us to score.

Don’t get me wrong, we have improved, but it’s been from horrible to bad at best. You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig.

We’re a mediocre team this year and our season has, and will continue to, reflect mediocrity. I think we’ll improve and perhaps make some noise in the conference tourney, but that’s about it.

I think this sums it up, except I think we are mediocre, not bad. At least for me, this is why it’s so irritating to see posts that talk about us in the tourney, what seed we will be, how everything has turned around…Some will still say that we will turn it around but you should look at the two times we played against tourney teams and see that we got outplayed decisively. You don’t “turn it around” against UNCA or Portland. It is one thing to be optimistic but you have to be realistic also.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

In West Virginia, it’s a good time.

In West Virginia, it's a [I]good time[/I].

:lmao: :lmao:

We got beat on the boards. We got beat on defense. We got beat offensively. We got beat on the calls (which did not affect the outcome). They even beat us downcourt too many times. They got most of the loose balls.

Our shot selection looked similar to what it did in early season. We forced too many shots. We only got the ball to Curt a few times in the second half.

Xavier just simply looked like a much better team. We looked like we regressed a month.

Xavier just simply looked like a much better team. We looked like we regressed a month.

I totally agree, but I think the regression happened at La Salle and carried over. At La Salle, we took bad shots just like early in the season, but Lee got hot in a stretch and the opposing team was a little inferior. The past two games, we just have not shared the ball consistently on offense…

[QUOTE=MKNiner;148752]Hello, we’re [B]not[/B] a good team. This is something we’ve known for a number of weeks now. We have won some games but name one opponent that was worth a crap that we beat? Not a single win on our schedule can you point to as a legit tournament team. We’re a bad team that’s beaten other bad teams.

We’re bad. Don’t let yourself get fooled into thinking otherwise.[/QUOTE]

DOBA (Dead On Balls Accurate)

I have been saying this all year.

Funny though…I say it and get labeled as a pessimist or a bandwagon fan or a fake fan etc…MK says it and it is “a revelation.”

Oh, well…either way…this is what I’ve been saying all year. We have gotten better, but we are still not all that good and we will not beat many (if any) NCAA calibre teams all year. I still say it’s a lack of (the right kind and amount) talent but whatever it is, we’re just not very good.

I still love our kids and they play very hard (which I’m proud of) but they’re just not good enough to beat NCAA Tourney calibre teams this year (other than a rare upset or two).

PS - Where has Mitch and DA been over the last few games???

DOBA (Dead On Balls Accurate)

Funny though…I say it and get labeled as a pessimist or a bandwagon fan or a fake fan etc…MK says it and it is “a revelation.”

MK is considered royalty in in certain 3rd world countries so his voice is respected.

Not sure what’s up with Mitch/DA. Some nights, they look like All-conference players and other nights, they’re hard to even notice on the court. I thought Mitch played a very poor game tonight. He never gave me the impression that he was running the offense. We played quite erratic at times and never really seemed to be in control on offense. Credit Xavier’s defense for much of that but Mitch was definitely off his game tonight.

Next week won’t get much easier for us with a tough road game against the Hawks and then hosting GW at Halton. Time to put up or shut up.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;148791] We played quite erratic at times and never really seemed to be in control on offense. [/QUOTE]

Go figure!! :wacko: