Name change

[quote=“49ER9ER, post:20, topic:32336”]Really? No interview, no previous work experience and no advanced degree or certifications. Just a false assumption that your friend went to THE University of North Carolina and he gets a $300,000 a year job?

There were no other candidates considered no matter what other university they may have attended because your friend went to UNC?

If you are seriously hoping that someone makes a false assumption about where you went to college in order to get your career started, I would advise you to quickly change strategy.

Perhaps the company you choose to go to work for can use the same strategy to be successful in business. Just pretend to be someone that you’re not. Or, hope your customers assume that you are a different company than who you really are.

I am damn proud of the fact that I graduated from the University of Charlotte! The heck with the UNC.

You need to decide if you want to be a SOMEBODY or a WANNABE.

My comments are not intended to be a personal attack but rather to emphasize a point to many including our leadership. Develop this University to its full potential and quit being content with staying in the shadows.[/quote]

clt appreciates your enthusiasm but that was BS. No one is getting a job based on their college. They have to pass the interview, background, reference check, etc.

Please read my post again. That was my point.

clt doesn’t have a point

I protest CLT or his ghost until he addresses Quincy Jones statements yesterday.

[quote=“ghostofclt, post:19, topic:32336”][quote=“SF4Nynah, post:17, topic:32336”]It simply boils down to a lot of people - including faculty and students - liking the association. You can see plenty of support for that in a recent Reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UNCCharlotte/comments/7vz8s4/should_unc_charlotte_drop_the_unc/

“Hell no. So nice applying places and they think I go to UNC chapel hill.”

“Which is a huge bonus for UNCC students. I have a friend that was hired as a Senior VP at JP Morgan, getting paid 200k salary + 90K annual bonus because they thought he was from UNC Chapel Hill.”

“Well wait until after I graduate. I need employers thinking I went to Chapel Hill.” [/quote]

clt says this is trolling.[/quote]

Obvious trolling. A UNC Chapel Hill MBA grad would be lucky to get that job offer.

http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/programs/mba/career/employment-statistics

CLT, someone will come along to top Denny Hamilns 30,000+ sqft home on Lake Norman.

CLT, someone will come along to top Denny Hamilns 30,000+ sqft home on Lake Norman.[/quote]

clt says his house looks like a conference center. also, note who is quoted in story

David Dunn? That name makes me want to vomit.

A key goal in marketing is to build a brand and differentiate your organization. See the definition below:

Branding is defined as the process involved in creating a unique name and image. Branding aims to establish a significant and differentiated presence in the market. See the list below and determine for yourself how well we are differentiating our brand:

University of North Carolina at Asheville
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina at Wilmington

How do you think the following schools would feel if they had to change their name to the following:

NC State University or University of North Carolina at Raleigh
Appalachian State or University of North Carolina at Boone
East Carolina University or University of North Carolina at Greenville

How about universities outside of our system?

Clemson University or University of South Carolina at Clemson
University of Cincinnati or Ohio State University at Cincinnati
University of Houston or University of Texas at Houston

Build your own list. There are many examples.

Our university is located in the City of Charlotte. We are recognized internationally, more so than the state of North Carolina. THE University of North Carolina name has already been taken by Chapel Hill and that is fine. I have no problem, and actually prefer, to associate our university with the city of Charlotte. The city of Charlotte has it’s own identity. We are an NFL & NBA city. Everyone knows us. In comparison, how recognizable is Boone, Pembroke or Asheville from a national perspective?

We have an opportunity to build a unique brand - University of Charlotte. We do not have to live in the shadows. From my own personal experience, the majority of people I know believe that UNCC is beneath the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

For our university to grow to the university we have the potential to become, our name must be changed. The University of Charlotte is a “no brainer.” I have heard all of the opposing arguments but most, if not all, seem to be in favor of us continuing to be a “follower” not a “leader.” Everyone needs to get behind this!

[quote=“49ER9ER, post:30, topic:32336”]A key goal in marketing is to build a brand and differentiate your organization. See the definition below:

Branding is defined as the process involved in creating a unique name and image. Branding aims to establish a significant and differentiated presence in the market. See the list below and determine for yourself how well we are differentiating our brand:

How do you think the following schools would feel if they had to change their name to the following:

Our university is located in the City of Charlotte. We are recognized internationally, more so than the state of North Carolina. THE University of North Carolina name has already been taken by Chapel Hill and that is fine. I have no problem, and actually prefer, to associate our university with the city of Charlotte. The city of Charlotte has it’s own identity. We are an NFL & NBA city. Everyone knows us. In comparison, how recognizable is Boone, Pembroke or Asheville from a national perspective?

We have an opportunity to build a unique brand - University of Charlotte. We do not have to live in the shadows. From my own personal experience, the majority of people I know believe that UNCC is beneath the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

For our university to grow to the university we have the potential to become, our name must be changed. The University of Charlotte is a “no brainer.” I have heard all of the opposing arguments but most, if not all, seem to be in favor of us continuing to be a “follower” not a “leader.” Everyone needs to get behind this![/quote].

Well said. Did you send this to Phil?

[quote=“ninereast, post:31, topic:32336”][quote=“49ER9ER, post:30, topic:32336”]A key goal in marketing is to build a brand and differentiate your organization. See the definition below:

For our university to grow to the university we have the potential to become, our name must be changed. The University of Charlotte is a “no brainer.” I have heard all of the opposing arguments but most, if not all, seem to be in favor of us continuing to be a “follower” not a “leader.” Everyone needs to get behind this![/quote].

Well said. Did you send this to Phil?[/quote]

This needs to be sent to Phil.

A new argument and mabne the best argument I have seen is that the 30K enrollment University (with aspirations to 60k apparently) in the city of CHARLOTTE doesn’t need the UNC moniker. CHARLOTTE stands on it’s own. Pembroke needs the UNC moniker. Greensboro needs the UNC moniker. Wilmington & Asheville as well. CHARLOTTE is one of the largest and fastest growing cities in the country…CHARLOTTE the city deserves it’s own flagship University to represent the city in that way…on it’s own. Charlotte, the city, doesn’t lean on Chapel Hill for relevance…the University in Charlotte shouldn’t either.

A lot has changed in Charlotte over the years. We are at a point that Charlotte can move to another level. Aligning ourselves with the city of Charlotte and moving away from a direct association with the University of North Carolina name will help us be considered relevant. Perception is reality.

Most universities across the nation that are branded as a preposition (at ________) are considered inferior or secondary schools. Only the flagship can carry that name and be relevant with only a few exceptions.

This university needs something to get us excited again. I am not giving up on athletics but it’s hard to get overly excited about football or basketball at the moment. This would at least give us a boost. Getting into the discussion of having a medical school, law school and/or a name change would get our base excited again.

We have matured to the point it is time to do what is right for the university that resides in Charlotte. There is nothing at all wrong with making a positive impact on the UNC system but not at the sacrifice of our university. I cannot help but believe we have it wrong from that standpoint.

It’s time that we act like the Major Research Institution we have become. The name change will help our university, community, city of Charlotte, and local business development.

Now is the time to make that move.

[quote=“49ER9ER, post:30, topic:32336”]A key goal in marketing is to build a brand and differentiate your organization. See the definition below:

For our university to grow to the university we have the potential to become, our name must be changed. The University of Charlotte is a “no brainer.” I have heard all of the opposing arguments but most, if not all, seem to be in favor of us continuing to be a “follower” not a “leader.” Everyone needs to get behind this![/quote]

clt says someone paid attention in mktg 101. Now name the 4 p’s of marketing!

You have 49 seconds.

[quote=“49ER9ER, post:33, topic:32336”]A lot has changed in Charlotte over the years. We are at a point that Charlotte can move to another level. Aligning ourselves with the city of Charlotte and moving away from a direct association with the University of North Carolina name will help us be considered relevant. Perception is reality.

Most universities across the nation that are branded as a preposition (at ________) are considered inferior or secondary schools. Only the flagship can carry that name and be relevant with only a few exceptions.

This university needs something to get us excited again. I am not giving up on athletics but it’s hard to get overly excited about football or basketball at the moment. This would at least give us a boost. Getting into the discussion of having a medical school, law school and/or a name change would get our base excited again.

We have matured to the point it is time to do what is right for the university that resides in Charlotte. There is nothing at all wrong with making a positive impact on the UNC system but not at the sacrifice of our university. I cannot help but believe we have it wrong from that standpoint.

It’s time that we act like the Major Research Institution we have become. The name change will help our university, community, city of Charlotte, and local business development.

Now is the time to make that move.[/quote]
I agree with this. I know about a decade or so ago this name change issue came up. Since then we have continued to grow tremendously, added many graduate and doctoral degress, upgraded almost every facet of campus, gotten football(however bad it may be) and the list of things that have happened can go on and on.
It is time for a name change because we have grown enough for it. We will have 30,000+ students come this fall, a university that size doesn’t need to have a “UNC” infront of it, especially when we will actually have more students than UNCCH does.
I am willing to be patient for the next chancellor to take over, but we will continue to push for it because enough public pressure changes everything.

[quote=“49ER9ER, post:33, topic:32336”]A lot has changed in Charlotte over the years. We are at a point that Charlotte can move to another level. Aligning ourselves with the city of Charlotte and moving away from a direct association with the University of North Carolina name will help us be considered relevant. Perception is reality.

Now is the time to make that move.[/quote]

For all the crap you get for pimping Lutz, you get credit for these posts. I hope we can keep this discussion alive and get change.

Correct me if I’m wrong but we have more undergraduates than any of the other campuses. That’s a differentiator. And it’s only going to continue to grow. I used to think that wasn’t a good thing but Dubois’s article about the student population for a city the size of Charlotte made me realize that there is huge room for growth.

I’m not sure WHY that fact feels so important but it does. What are the long term impacts of us now having the largest undergraduate student population in the state?

Will this drive growth in our graduate programs?

BusterC417, thanks for the comment. I can assure you I just want what is best for this University, whatever that may be. I can assure you we are in this together.

[quote=“Gassman, post:37, topic:32336”]Correct me if I’m wrong but we have more undergraduates than any of the other campuses. That’s a differentiator. And it’s only going to continue to grow. I used to think that wasn’t a good thing but Dubois’s article about the student population for a city the size of Charlotte made me realize that there is huge room for growth.

I’m not sure WHY that fact feels so important but it does. What are the long term impacts of us now having the largest undergraduate student population in the state?

Will this drive growth in our graduate programs?[/quote]
It can certainly drive growth to grad programs because kids will just stay in Charlotte for their grad degrees. Seems we are adding graduate programs every year and the more we add, the more likely kids are willing to continue their education at Charlotte.