Name Confusion Log

Less than 24 hours after I commented pointing it out, the ad is fixed.

6 Likes

/me whispers “Niners Nation” :wink:

1 Like

With such a push to #droptheunc which I fully support, why do people try to copy Alabama and say #rollniners
It doesn’t make any sense.
I think it sounds stupid.
Am I missing something? Maybe I’m the ignorant one

First I’ve heard of it.

Just to add a little to this, my understanding is that these are private companies that are contracting space in our buildings and not 100% in-house offerings. Still woefully unacceptable.

people have been saying it for years. It is very popular among students, pretty much every instagram picture from a tailgate will say roll niners

This…my son (a current Student) says its kind of said as a joke/in fun.

1 Like

Remember the old ESPN ad where “Roll Tide” was used as a greeting, farewell, agreement, exaltation, etc… like “shalom” or “aloha”?

When that ad came out, “Roll Tide” kind of moved outside of Alabama fanhood… just about everybody was using it like it was in the ad, as a joke. Over time, people got tired of using some other school’s phrase like that, so they started just saying “Roll Niners.”

It didn’t have serious origins, but since we don’t have a real hashtag, everybody is clamoring for something and that one is winning… for now.

I say shut that down.
I like Gold Standard
We need a war cry

We wouldn’t copy any of these…
ALL IN
Hook em
War Eagle
We are Marshall
Boomer Sooner

Actually we have copied two of those and one of their fight songs.

1 Like

Nearly identical fight song

I was actually referring to the Texas fight song that we used for MANY years

I agree we should have our own unique phrase, not copied from other programs. Just because we have other things that were copied doesn’t mean this should fly too.

1 Like

God forbid someone having school spirit. This school needs all it can get rn.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I ain’t mad at it, though it may seem that way. Just thinking 20 years down the road. Something I didn’t do as a 20 year old.
If we’re playing Alabama in the National Championship it would be dumb if our slogan was built to copy their slogan, which actually makes sense. Tide actually rolls…

Just keep yelling for the 'Niners i guess

1 Like

The dreaded hyphen rears its ugly head!

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/georgia-uga-charlotte-antman-edwards-crump/amp

Listened to the game with a Georgia announcer and he referred to us the entire game as UNCC

We need to hire a marketing intern to zap the announcers with a squirt gun for every offense.

This was in the Panthers game program today.