Name Confusion Log

Iā€™ve never had a problem at all within my family, and theyā€™re all from Virginiaā€¦and if anyone had a problem with it I would expect them to be in that groupā€¦but they knowā€¦and they refer to it as Charlotteā€¦My uncle is a tarheels fan, he grew up in VA, and he knows who Charlotte isā€¦he always asks how the teams doing. My dadā€™s friend lives in Rock Hill and is an ACC fan but has been to Halton to see the Niners before and also always asks me about the team. So hopefully that offers a little encouragementā€¦someone somewhere knows who we areā€¦lol.

So a friend of mine calls me during the Indiana game, and I mentioned to her that ā€œIā€™m watching us get drilled by the Indiana Hoosiers.ā€ She happened to also be watching the game on her TV. . .

A few minutes go by, and she asks me if Iā€™m not going to a UNCC game tonight (ā€œdonā€™t they play their games on Saturdays?ā€). At this point Iā€™m paralyzed, completely dumbfounded. . . Ummmm. . . Iā€™m WATCHING THE GAME RIGHT NOW, you know. . . She says oh, she was confused because on TV it says ā€œCharlotte.ā€ :confused: :weep:

Then I say, wait til the guys on the message board hear this one. . .

This one is not about name confusion, but another one about not being aware of our very existence:

About two or three years ago, the teenage kid who lives across the street from me said he was flipping through the channels, and he happened to catch a game of ours. This was during our CUSA days, probably on Channel 64.

He said he thought it was a pretty good game, and that he didnā€™t realize there was a college basketball team right here in Charlotte. This kid is a Charlotte native, mind you, and in high school at the time. I said to him, ā€œSo it never occurred to you why it is that you live in ā€˜The University Area?ā€™ Itā€™s because there is a university thatā€™s like, fifty feet from your backyard.ā€ Iā€™m talking walking distance from campus, literally.

I am surprised no one has related a conversation with Phil Dubois yet!

This might be a tough one for you to answer, but "Why?"

:lol: :lmao:

Perhaps we have already. Is Dubois a patron of Auto Bell? I think he may have stopped to get his car cleaned before his job interview.

Didnā€™t we have an entire forum dedicated to this once? Itā€™s a shame itā€™s gone. I had some really good examples in there. In short, if I had a dollar for everytime our school was confused with Chapel Hillā€¦

1. Our Athletics would be fully funded
  2. Weā€™d have a football stadium, team, the works
  3. We could buy the Charlotte Observer
  4. Weā€™d have our own law school and medical school
  5. Weā€™d completely fund the light rail line out to the University

you get the idea.

[QUOTE=metro;205542]
Its very simple:
people who donā€™t want name change like being confused with UNC. And thats the last thing I want someone to associate me with.[/QUOTE]

word. doba.

Confusionā€¦

These assholes STILL have us mislabeled! BOYCOTT!!
Hey ā€œCollege Golf Store,ā€ itā€™s 2006. Get with the program, SLACKERS!!
http://www.collegegolfstore.com/north_carolina-charlotte1.htm

[IMG]http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1513/charlottehuhrr4.jpg[/IMG]

Confusionā€¦

When I search UNC Charlotte, I donā€™t get any of that. You wouldnā€™t be trying to fabricate evidence would you? That right click menu over what your search was is a little too convenient donā€™t you think? Besides, under the pictures it has the word ā€œTarheelsā€ in bold which means it was a search perameter. :shades:

Weā€™ve got more than enough evidence already. We donā€™t need to make any up. Nice try though.

That was really, really queer trying to make up evidence like that. Just awful.

damnā€¦ Almost got away with itā€¦

http://tinyurl.com/yc3kck

click on ā€œNCAAā€ then ā€œUNC-Charlotteā€

wowā€¦ that hurtsā€¦

My senior year of high school my family had an exchange student from Brazil for the whole school year. I told him I was going to UNCC and he kept thinking I was going to Chapel Hill. When I corrected him, he said, no the one in Charlotte is UNC isnā€™t it? I think the day he left he finally had it straightā€¦ That there is no school in Chapel Hill. And Charlotte is the best university!!! Go Niners!

Both my mom and dad cannot figure out that I graduated from UNC CHARLOTTEā€¦they call it everything under the sun EXCEPT UNCCā€¦

On the flipsideā€¦my grandfather is a big wig at U of Arizona in Tucsonā€¦he has no problem understanding the differenceā€¦although he has only stepped foot inside Halton 1 timeā€¦for my graduation.

I say this to illustrate an important fact regarding our nameā€¦the number 1 missuse of the name seems to come from people WITHIN OUR OWN STATE. What gives?

[QUOTE=casstommy;205840]Both my mom and dad cannot figure out that I graduated from UNC CHARLOTTEā€¦they call it everything under the sun EXCEPT UNCCā€¦

On the flipsideā€¦my grandfather is a big wig at U of Arizona in Tucsonā€¦he has no problem understanding the differenceā€¦although he has only stepped foot inside Halton 1 timeā€¦for my graduation.

I say this to illustrate an important fact regarding our nameā€¦the number 1 missuse of the name seems to come from people WITHIN OUR OWN STATE. What gives?[/QUOTE]
Widespread sublimonal messaging in NC media outlets by Chapel Hillā€¦ :mask: I TiVoā€™d something off of WTVI and played it at 1/7th speed and found images of Chapel Hill, Hitler, and blue puppy dogs popping up on the screen.

Every single one of my relatives in South Florida think that I graduated from Chapel Hill. Iā€™ll tell them I graduated from UNC Charlotte, and they say, ā€œOh, Go Tarheels.ā€ I told them that we changed our location, color, and name sometime last year, and that we are no longer the carolina blue tarheels from chapel hill; we are now the Green 49ers from Charlotte. I told them it was time for an upgrade. It was fun to confuse them.

Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called ā€œNorth Carolinaā€ or ā€œUNCā€ ever again, would you take the deal?