Name Confusion Log

Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called "North Carolina" or "UNC" ever again, would you take the deal?

Noā€¦theyā€™ll never let it goā€¦

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;205989]Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called ā€œNorth Carolinaā€ or ā€œUNCā€ ever again, would you take the deal?[/QUOTE]
Sure! You got connections somewhere Mike?

No, but we buy ink by the traincar ā€¦

Hmmm, Iā€™m trying to find the connection hereā€¦ Are you saying that if we are nice to that school up 85 you would print enough to put pressure on Judy, Phil and the board? Or is that just rehtoric?

Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called "North Carolina" or "UNC" ever again, would you take the deal?
I would be extatic! I've come to terms with the "North Carolina" thing, but I think that I would still have beef with them going by UNC. But I would rarely if ever bring it up because it is relatively pointless. I just want to be treated fair.

Not to mention I would be too busy cheering on my football team and rocking my University of Charlotte gear! Honestly, Mike, please donā€™t even talk this way. Iā€™m getting all excited!

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;205989]Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called ā€œNorth Carolinaā€ or ā€œUNCā€ ever again, would you take the deal?[/QUOTE]

No need to ask since the change would effectively divorce us from the confusion. Remove the stimulus and you remove the reaction.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;206011]No need to ask since the change would effectively divorce us from the confusion. Remove the stimulus and you remove the reaction.[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I was thinking. That would just leave the problem to the seemingly more content schools such as UNCA, UNCG and UNCP.

No need to ask since the change would effectively divorce us from the confusion. Remove the stimulus and you remove the reaction.

Thatā€™s an excellent point. What some people from the ā€œoutsideā€ (not you, Mikeā€¦ youā€™ve obviously been here for a while and are ā€œin the knowā€) do not realize is that no one here that I know of actually hates Chapel Hill because they happen to be Chapel Hill. They dislike them because they are constantly confused with them. Not Chapel Hillā€™s faultā€¦ but, you can see how over time it can happen. It just gets irritating and frustrating.

And, I would take the football deal all day long.

OK, another question: Which has higher odds, Charlotte getting football or Charlotte changing the name of the university?

I think Charlotte getting the name change.

I think the opposite ā€“ football comes first.

I agree. I think football has better odds.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;206015]OK, another question: Which has higher odds, Charlotte getting football or Charlotte changing the name of the university?[/QUOTE]
I think football will be first. That will raise our publicity some. Enough that people will begin to identify the school as ā€œCharlotteā€. And will cause the admins to give in to a name change. Of course they would go about it as if it was their idea all along. Iā€™m more looking forward to the movie that will be made about us one day. :biggrin:

Football has better odds of success, although if UNCA, UNCG and UNCP got behind a move to do the same it might come first. Of course, UNC Pembroke requested a change from Pembroke State to UNCP.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;206015]OK, another question: Which has higher odds, Charlotte getting football or Charlotte changing the name of the university?[/QUOTE]

Monkeys flying out of my butt, or you hiring a clerk who can churn out a monthā€™s worth of copy with no typos or mistakes, before either.

Football would probably happen firstā€¦

Both of those are pretty low percentage bets though.

yesā€¦yesā€¦yes

^^^^

Yes. Thereā€™s generally nothing wrong with the Chapel hill campus being UNC, except when we must be UNC- with a little name tacked on that cleary indicates a sattelite campus set-up, which is not the case. It also creates confusion.

I would definitely accept your offer.

[SIZE=7][COLOR=darkgreen]Q.F.T.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

If both occur, most of the bitching stops. Football will happen first. I am a huge supporter of a name change, but there is a scenario where it wouldnā€™t be necessary:

We win the national championship 5 or 6 times in a 20 year span. Since thatā€™s not likely to happen, Iā€™ll keep pushing for the name change.