Name Confusion Log

Just hush, your national championship reign ends in a few weeks for…

[SIZE=5][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]The University of Texas at Austin[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

I e-mailed E. Bowles about a week ago, urging his support for the name change. He responded quickly, but made it clear he doesn’t see the need for it. I think football will happen first. If we could do it right,
it might just be a matter of time before the folks drinking from the Old Well would actually support our name change because they would be confusing their own recruits and fans. This state is currently 5th in the nation in in-migration from other states. All these new North Carolinians need not be confused.
Let’s put ALL our efforts into obtaining football now.

My Top Ten list of needs:

1. Football (if not 1A to start, ASAP)
  2. Fair funding from the legislature (how about some “make up funds” for past oversights?)
  3. New league affiliation (and I’m not talking SoCon, Big South, or Colonial)
  4. Law school/Med school
  5. Name change NO LATER than 01/01/2017
  6. Urbanized “downtown” for students within walking distance with strict zoning (no strip centers)
  7. On campus football stadium
  8. Light rail to center city
  9. Selling the new center city building or buildings (after all, what is the light rail for?)
    10.Working to make Univ. Research Park a place for RESEARCH, not an industrial or warehouse park, at the
    same time supporting the BioTech park in K-Town, thus enhancing our reputation and building for the
    future
Just hush, your national championship reign ends in a few weeks for...

[SIZE=5][COLOR=darkorange]The University of Texas at Austin[/COLOR][/SIZE]

HP, That’s no skin off my back. I married an Aggie. Texas A&M rules the region this year. The state has acknowledged this fact by honoring the occasion by putting the score of the game on all state inspection stickers this month:biggrin: .

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;205989]Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called “North Carolina” or “UNC” ever again, would you take the deal?[/QUOTE]
Yo Mike! You’re an “outsider” . Don’t come here and start anything. Don’t do us any favor. Go sell what you call “paper” or something.

HP, That's no skin off my back. I married an Aggie. Texas A&M rules the region this year. The state has acknowledged this fact by honoring the occasion by putting the score of the game on all state inspection stickers this month:biggrin: .

say what??

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;206017]I think the opposite – football comes first.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Add football, get to D1 level, city embraces University, University becomes U. of Charlotte.

[QUOTE=Niner89;206070]Yo Mike! You’re an “outsider” . Don’t come here and start anything. Don’t do us any favor. Go sell what you call “paper” or something.[/QUOTE]
Man 89, you jump on Mike harder than Uncommon does on SCK! Take a chill pill dude. This is a discussion board, not a threat board.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]Mike_Persinger[/B] [URL=showthread.php?p=205989#post205989][/URL]
[I]Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called “North Carolina” or “UNC” ever again, would you take the deal?[/I]
[/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTELY. Id never look back. Honestly, I think the little brother syndrome on here is quite over the top, and uncalled for.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;206076]Man 89, you jump on Mike harder than Uncommon does on SCK! Take a chill pill dude. This is a discussion board, not a threat board.[/QUOTE]
Facts:

• He’s an “outsider”.( I don’t buy the 'I know how you guys feel . . . crap")
  • As far as I saw he never did us any favor but starting crap.
  • His main thing is to sell what so called 'paper" as he always stated. And , so far I quit buying “trash” a long while ago.
Facts: - He's an "outsider".( I don't buy the 'I know how you guys feel . . . crap") - As far as I saw he never did us any favor but starting crap. - His main thing is to sell what so called 'paper" as he always stated. And , so far I quit buying "trash" a long while ago.

ouch… harsh

Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called "North Carolina" or "UNC" ever again, would you take the deal?
The name change would go a long, long, long way. I'm sure if there was a "University of Pennsylvania State at Pittsburgh", their fans would want to disassociate themselves from Penn State at College Park or College Point, or wherever the hell Penn State is located, too.

Why wouldn’t a D1AA football program be D1? :biggrin:

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;206017]I think the opposite – football comes first.[/QUOTE]

last time Mike P started throwing these hints around, an op-ed came out within a week.

maybe he’s implying something.

[QUOTE=metro;206092]last time Mike P started throwing these hints around, an op-ed came out within a week.

maybe he’s implying something.[/QUOTE]
That’s what I’m saying!

89, chill out. We know how you feel about Mike.

The name change would go a long, long, long way. I'm sure if there was a "University of Pennsylvania State at Pittsburgh", their fans would want to disassociate themselves from Penn State at College Park or College Point, or wherever the hell Penn State is located, too.

Why wouldn’t a D1AA football program be D1? :biggrin:

Pitt is a state-affiliated university, just like Penn State. Both have branches. The State University of Pennsylvania is a different system.

There are 3 publicly supported systems in PA - Pitt, Penn State, and SUP.

The SUP contains Indiana University of PA, California University of PA, Edinboro University of PA, Clarion University of PA, etc, etc. It is set up like the State University of New York (SUNY). There is no main campus. Sort of like the UNC system. The difference is that none of them are recognized by the SUNY or SUP initials only.

Pitt has the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, at Titusville, etc.

The Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) has Penn State Erie, Penn State York, Penn State Altoona, etc. The main campus is in State College. The football field is in University Park.

No one wants to disassociate themselves from their respective systems because they recieve direct benefits from their parent institutions. People go to Penn State Erie because it has a top Plastics Engineering program. They don’t offer that at the main campus. In the end, they get Penn State degrees.

Hope that clears it up for you.

To Mike’s question…I would take football and quit complaining…although I don’t complain about UNC that much anyway.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;205989]Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called “North Carolina” or “UNC” ever again, would you take the deal?[/QUOTE]

Sure. I’d just continue to call them UNC-Crapple Hole.

UNC is not a bad place at all. I have always respected them academically and athletically…you’d be a fool not to.

The reason they get trashed I feel among us is A) Chapel Hill alum look down on the UNCC’s of the world as second class citizens and B) it is tiresome constantly explaining yourself to friends, family, colleagues, and the media the difference between UNCC vs UNC.

no other of the 16 schools in the UNC system have this problem because they all sound so different. (UNC-A, UNC-W, UNC-P, etc).

i think this might be the silliest question ever asked, if we had football and a name change there would be no confusion with UNC and thus far less hatred. Some people on this board hate carolina, i do, i grew up a duke fan, However most of the reason anything negative is said about chapel hill is like metro said the constant lack of identity we have from them.

Am the only one that has noticed the hijacking of this thread?

[QUOTE=metro;206106]UNC is not a bad place at all. I have always respected them academically and athletically…you’d be a fool not to.

The reason they get trashed I feel among us is A) Chapel Hill alum look down on the UNCC’s of the world as second class citizens and B) it is tiresome constantly explaining yourself to friends, family, colleagues, and the media the difference between UNCC vs UNC.

no other of the 16 schools in the UNC system have this problem because they all sound so different. (UNC-A, UNC-W, UNC-P, etc).[/QUOTE]

I agree with this post. You have to respect UNC Chapel Hill and their athletic program. I don’t really care what Chapel Hill alumni think, but I do get tired of all of the media attention they get and the constant confusion.