Name Confusion Log

[quote=“Chisox17, post:1075, topic:12347”][quote=“kr11, post:1069, topic:12347”]I meant to post this a few days ago, but forgot. I found this in our bookstore, it’s some sort of car decal thing.

http://twitpic.com/1jo9no
[/quote]

To get back on topic, do they still sell these things in the bstore? I was told they pulled them all. If they are still there, someoen needs to “accidentally” drop them all in the nearest trash can.[/quote]

The day I posted the pic, they were still in there, but I haven’t been in since.

Encountered another freakin’ name confusion situation, as I always do (but I usually just don’t feel like putting in the effort to fix it). This time with my new girlfriend who is from Rhode Island. Apparently she wanted to argue with me that we were apart of UNC (Chapel Hill) because “UNC” is apart of our name. I got tired of trying to explain the whole… “schools like UNC Pembroke, UNC Wilmington and UNC Asheville are apart of the UNC system, but we are all different schools. We are not the Tar Heels.” She said, “Well that’s freakin’ retarded to call you UNC Charlotte if you are not UNC.”

Duh, that’s what many of us have been saying for years now. I’m soooo exhausted from beating a dead horse. Why must our alumni constantly have to explain to outsiders (and insiders) that we are not a satellite campus of UNC? The heck with UNC! Let’s just change the name already. I already know this is fantasy talk. Will we ever have our own identity?..

Oh- meant to post this the other day-

Saw a current cheerleader out shopping with a t-shirt from this past season that said:

UNCC Cheerleading with the C-pick logo on it. I know that the spirit groups aren’t “technically” run/managed by the AD but for the love of pete if they don’t know or care enough to get it right, why should anyone else?!?

And if they insist on using the UNCC at LEAST bring back the old school U-N-C-C chant with the arm motions (you old dudes will know what I’m referring to)

Not as long as that backwards thinking Mr Burns look alike chancellor of ours is still in charge.

[quote=“freedomunique, post:1082, topic:12347”]Encountered another freakin’ name confusion situation, as I always do (but I usually just don’t feel like putting in the effort to fix it). This time with my new girlfriend who is from Rhode Island. Apparently she wanted to argue with me that we were apart of UNC (Chapel Hill) because “UNC” is apart of our name. I got tired of trying to explain the whole… “schools like UNC Pembroke, UNC Wilmington and UNC Asheville are apart of the UNC system, but we are all different schools. We are not the Tar Heels.” She said, “Well that’s freakin’ retarded to call you UNC Charlotte if you are not UNC.”

Duh, that’s what many of us have been saying for years now. I’m soooo exhausted from beating a dead horse. Why must our alumni constantly have to explain to outsiders (and insiders) that we are not a satellite campus of UNC? The heck with UNC! Let’s just change the name already. I already know this is fantasy talk. Will we ever have our own identity?..[/quote]

Not a permanent solution but people generally get it when I say we have the same relationship to Chapel Hill as State, ECU and App do.

Then I guess I’m talking to the wrong people because all I ever get out of it is, “but I don’t get it…”

[quote=“freedomunique, post:1082, topic:12347”]Encountered another freakin’ name confusion situation, as I always do (but I usually just don’t feel like putting in the effort to fix it). This time with my new girlfriend who is from Rhode Island. Apparently she wanted to argue with me that we were apart of UNC (Chapel Hill) because “UNC” is apart of our name. I got tired of trying to explain the whole… “schools like UNC Pembroke, UNC Wilmington and UNC Asheville are apart of the UNC system, but we are all different schools. We are not the Tar Heels.” She said, “Well that’s freakin’ retarded to call you UNC Charlotte if you are not UNC.”

Duh, that’s what many of us have been saying for years now. I’m soooo exhausted from beating a dead horse. Why must our alumni constantly have to explain to outsiders (and insiders) that we are not a satellite campus of UNC? The heck with UNC! Let’s just change the name already. I already know this is fantasy talk. Will we ever have our own identity?..[/quote]

If these are the only schools you use as examples no wonder they don’t get it. They’d see anything that starts with “UNC” as a branch. That’s why I never use another “UNC” schools as an example with folks.

Nah, even though I failed to mention in my post, I did start out by telling homegirl (as I do with everybody) that schools like App State, NC State, and East Carolina are apart of this “UNC” system. If our current chancellor isn’t going to budge on this, then we can only hope the next one will. Let’s hope football will contribute to the Charlotte 49er brand in a way we haven’t seen…

Anyone know the name of the gardens on campus?

Bonnie Cone Memorial Gardens, in Van Landingham Glen.

And now, for a few name change stories…

1. The other night, I was on the lake with my friend and his fiancee (both Wingate alums) when she referred to us as “UNC”. I sharply corrected her (ok, no, I was drinking so I was a douche about it and said “Excuse me?!?!”) She (who spent more time in a book than a sports bar) explained that she always considered Charlotte as UNC, UNC-CH was always Chapel Hill. Halfway through typing this story, I realize that that is almost all that I can remember. I drank a lot that night. But she gets it now.

This one is more funny than anything:

1. A few weeks ago, I was talking to my mom’s cousin, who hasn’t followed college sports since… well… he was in school at Binghamton. Keep in mind, this was the first time I had seen him since high school. I was wearing my “Swagger” tee, and started talking about our team. He looks at me and asks “Now, where is Swagger?” facepalm.

Bonnie Cone Memorial Gardens, in Van Landingham Glen.[/quote]
Okay. Just found that, according to Wikipedia, we have two gardens on campus. What is the name of the other then?

Bonnie Cone Memorial Gardens, in Van Landingham Glen.[/quote]
Okay. Just found that, according to Wikipedia, we have two gardens on campus. What is the name of the other then?[/quote]

Susie Harwood Garden

Is there a “UNC Charlotte Bontanical Gardens?”

Is there a “UNC Botanical Gardens” anywhere around our school?

http://www.shopncaasports.com/NCAASports_UNC_Charlotte_49ers/Charlotte_Bobcats_Gold_Ladies_Arch_Graphic_Skinny_T-shirt

that’s so stupid i have to laugh

Was driving through Lancaster, SC, in a car with 4 guys. We drove past the campus of USC Lancaster. One of the guys in the car thought it was clever to say “Hey look. There’s USC…(dramatic pause)…Lancaster.” Believe it or not, not only did he think it was funny, somebody else in the car chuckled too.

You mean they weren’t admiring the school for the USC brand?

We got an application today at work with a resume attached. This isn’t name confusion because he obviously did this intentionally, but look what this douchebag wrote as his university:

“University of North Carolina” is in bold.

[quote=“Hooner49, post:1098, topic:12347”]We got an application today at work with a resume attached. This isn’t name confusion because he obviously did this intentionally, but look what this douchebag wrote as his university:

“University of North Carolina” is in bold.[/quote]

And his e-mail address is???

Meant to put this up a while back. Took a pic of the final score on my XM radio after the Miss St game: