NASCAR 🏁

I agree, its all opinion. I’ve been to Lowes Motor Speed way, 2 years ago I got talked into going. It was fine being there, one of 100 thousand people can make any activity of the time seem a bit awe inspiring. But as the race went on, I couldn’t help but realize what exactly I was doing. I wasting my time at this race watching these people cheer for a driver whome they have no connection to at all!

I would actually keep track of this sport if it was organized a little different. No more individual teams. for now on, Each city has a team, that would give me something to root for, give me a reason to watch. And there would need to be more surprises somehow. maybe random blockades shooting up from the ground, I don’t know…

So, what does this do to the owner that only has one car out there? A: Basically, it makes it absolutely improbable if not impossible for him to win.

Well, to be honest, there are only a couple drivers who aren’t part of multi-car teams so the playing field isn’t that unlevel in terms of single car teams vs multicar teams. The problem, as I mentioned above, is that it’s more about who has the most money to spend. The more money you have, the better equipment you can buy, the more talented the driver you can acquire and the more cars you can field.

And you won’t ever see a rule that limits it to that many cars per team. As long as the owners are willing to spend the money, there will always be a handful of large teams that dominate the sport. I think if anything, you’ll just see 43 teams spread out under just a few owners. There’s really not much keeping someone like Roush from having 15 teams if he can afford the payroll. But, the more teams you own, the more drivers you have not winning the race. So there’s a fine line between owning enough cars to be profitable and spending too much money/being spread too thin.

I agree, its all opinion. I've been to Lowes Motor Speed way, 2 years ago I got talked into going. It was fine being there, one of 100 thousand people can make any activity of the time seem a bit awe inspiring. But as the race went on, I couldn't help but realize what exactly I was doing. I wasting my time at this race watching these people cheer for a driver whome they have no connection to at all!

I would actually keep track of this sport if it was organized a little different. No more individual teams. for now on, Each city has a team, that would give me something to root for, give me a reason to watch. And there would need to be more surprises somehow. maybe random blockades shooting up from the ground, I don’t know…

You probably meant it as a joke, but you know, that IS actually a good idea… the part about each city having its own race car/team. That would be pretty cool.

Well, to be honest, there are only a couple drivers who aren't part of multi-car teams so the playing field isn't that unlevel in terms of single car teams vs multicar teams. The problem, as I mentioned above, is that it's more about who has the most money to spend. The more money you have, the better equipment you can buy, the more talented the driver you can acquire and the more cars you can field.

And you won’t ever see a rule that limits it to that many cars per team. As long as the owners are willing to spend the money, there will always be a handful of large teams that dominate the sport. I think if anything, you’ll just see 43 teams spread out under just a few owners. There’s really not much keeping someone like Roush from having 15 teams if he can afford the payroll. But, the more teams you own, the more drivers you have not winning the race. So there’s a fine line between owning enough cars to be profitable and spending too much money/being spread too thin.

I see your point, but I never see a driver for a “lone” team win. They are there.
It’s all Jimmy Johnson, Gordon, Stewart, and all of the other team drivers. Always the team drivers.

And, since there are a few teams: This really creates a nearly impossible barrier for entry for new drivers/teams. The sport will continue to be dominated by a few owners because no one can start up a team, come in w/only one driver (all you can afford at first), and compete against teams of four drivers all sharing communication, strategy, and basically the same brain.

In my opinion, Nascar is not a sport where the best individual driver wins… and, I think that’s what it should be about.

I wasting my time at this race watching these people cheer for a driver whome they have no connection to at all!

That comment just doesn’t hold much water with me. Even though you may not have had any connection to a driver, doesn’t mean the diehard NASCAR fans don’t. Most Earnhardt Jr. fans grew up pulling for his father and lived in the same area (Cabarrus County) that Dale did. The hometown connection alone is more of a bond to have than a lot of fans have with participants of other sports. I don’t have any connections to Buffalo but yet, I’m probably more passionate about the Bills than I am the Charlotte 49ers. And most NASCAR fans liked the sport before they liked the driver. Most got interested in the sport and then a particular driver just started to appeal to them for some reason. Could be the sponsor product, the paint scheme, where the driver is from, his physical appearance, etc. I just don’t feel you need to go to school with someone or be from his/her hometown to be a fan or have a connection.

I see your point, but I never see a driver for a "lone" team win. They [I]are [/I]there. It's all Jimmy Johnson, Gordon, Stewart, and all of the other team drivers. Always the team drivers.

And, since there are a few teams: This really creates a nearly impossible barrier for entry for new drivers/teams. The sport will continue to be dominated by a few owners because no one can start up a team, come in w/only one driver (all you can afford at first), and compete against teams of four drivers all sharing communication, strategy, and basically the same brain.

In my opinion, Nascar is not a sport where the best individual driver wins… and, I think that’s what it should be about.

I think this is an issue with every sport. A salary cap has to be instituted or one organization will dominate the sport and the competition will greatly suffer. Baseball is a prime example of this. Racing could definitely use a salary cap or a cap on how many teammates there could be. I would love for it to be capped down to 2 drivers per team.

In my opinion, Nascar is not a sport where the best individual driver wins... and, I think that's what it should be about.

Yeah, but NASCAR is one of the few sports where equipment accounts for a very significant role. You can take the best driver in NASCAR and put him in a crappy car and he’s never gonna compete. But, with that said, I do think it’s safe to say that despite the equipment advantages, you’re still seeing the best individual drivers finishing near the front each week and winning most of the races.

That comment just doesn't hold much water with me. Even though [I]you [/I]may not have had any connection to a driver, doesn't mean the diehard NASCAR fans don't. Most Earnhardt Jr. fans grew up pulling for his father and lived in the same area (Cabarrus County) that Dale did. The hometown connection alone is more of a bond to have than a lot of fans have with participants of other sports. I don't have any connections to Buffalo but yet, I'm probably more passionate about the Bills than I am the Charlotte 49ers. And most NASCAR fans liked the sport before they liked the driver. Most got interested in the sport and then a particular driver just started to appeal to them for some reason. Could be the sponsor product, the paint scheme, where the driver is from, his physical appearance, etc.
I'm a huge San Fran fan and I've never even been to California.
I just don't feel you need to go to school with someone or be from his/her hometown to be a fan or have a connection.
Look at all the stupid tarhole and dook fans. You think they care?:lmao:

I really think there should be more rules to create level playing field. First, multi car teams should be eliminated. It should be every driver for themselves. You shouldn’t be helping some drivers and not others. Your only teammates should be your crew chief, spotter, tire changer, gas guy, etc.

I really think there should be more rules to create level playing field. First, multi car teams should be eliminated. It should be every driver for themselves. You shouldn't be helping some drivers and not others. Your only teammates should be your crew chief, spotter, tire changer, gas guy, etc.

Agreed.

How about a 43-car field of IROC cars that ran a full season? Give the teams cars prepared by a governing body and allow them to make the slightest adjustments (measurement-based stuff such as camber, aero, gear ratios, etc) and have them go at it. Heck, you can even still throw sponsors on the car.

This makes it much more of a drivers’ sport and less of a team (though they would still be important). Hopefully this would keep costs down dramatically and open it up to a world of drivers that might not otherwise get a shot at this career.

I really think there should be more rules to create level playing field. First, multi car teams should be eliminated. It should be every driver for themselves. You shouldn't be helping some drivers and not others. Your only teammates should be your crew chief, spotter, tire changer, gas guy, etc.

Sounds great in theory, but it won’t ever happen. Try telling Rick Hendrick that he can only own one car considering how much money he brings to the sport. NASCAR won’t ever bite the hands that feed them so you’re never gonna see a field of single-owned cars. If anything, you’ll even see the 2-team operations fizzle out at some point and have to cave in to the 3+ car owners.

I don't have any connections to Buffalo but yet, I'm probably more passionate about the Bills than I am the Charlotte 49ers.

Heresy. You should be burned at the stake for that comment. I think the board is due an official apology and renunciation of that remark.

And to cleanse you of such disturbing thoughts, your avatar should be changed to a more positive emblem for your alma mater.

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;185873]Heresy. You should be burned at the stake for that comment. I think the board is due an official apology and renunciation of that remark.

And to cleanse you of such disturbing thoughts, your avatar should be changed to a more positive emblem for your alma mater.[/QUOTE]

lol.

I think he suffers enough as it is. :slight_smile:

How does Nascar expect to become a real sport? Dale Jr. wrecks Carl Edwards to win, & Edwards reacts after the race. Then Edwards gets fined & suspended. Yet Nascar does nothing to Jr. who caused the whole thing. Is this Nascar's version of the Nba's 90's rules of no foul on Jordan. Just remember, the NBA has been waning the last 10 years. Maybe Nascar wants to go down the toilet too.

i think its that way in every sport. the stars always get some sort of break.

I know it’s that way in every sport, but it’s not right.
Trac was going to start a city team, but it never got off the ground.
I personally would like to see Nascar more loyal to the Rock, Darlington, & N. Wilkesboro. What gets me is the city of Charlotte, the surrounding area, & the state of NC help out the 3 events at LMS, when it owns 1/2 of N. Wilkesboro, & took it’s race for it’s 1/2 to Texas. Has anyone ever heard of economic traitors to your state? How can we help a NC company that screwed over other NC citizens?
And for the local angle, that’s good for here, but what about the other tracks in the country?

I think NASCAR hurts Charlotte more than it helps it.

I wonder what could have been lured here with 350 million (Theoretically, if the money had to be spent that is) . Maybe JPMorgan-Chase? I don’t know, but we shouldn’t be so ready to spend money on something that most people in the town could care less about and something that doesn’t really contribute to building reputation and the city.

The NASCAR HOF is one of the most bizarre cases of corporate welfare imaginable.

I wasn’t joking about about each City should have thier own team. But to make a semi joke I will add that Along with each city having thier own team of only two drivers and 2 cars, but each car can only do 25 laps at a time and then pull off to a side area/street where its other team member would then take off and do 25 laps like a tag team thing. If one car gets crashed, then the team can use the other car the rest of the race ass a last chance thing.

Not so much not giving it a chance as not having a clue about the sport, which is obvious from most of the comments made. No athletes?...lol. That stereotype went out the window a decade ago. Most of today's drivers are working out multiple times a week, are in incredible shape and participate in other sports during their spare time...

First, let me say I’m as big a Nascar fan as you are a soccer fan. I have been to a race and was down with the buffet where we were.

I don’t want to put words in uncommon’s mouth but I thought he was saying an “athlete” in the sport they are in and not just an athlete in general. From your description of an athlete above, I would be one (“incredible shape” might be a strectch, “very good” would be accurate in my case) and I’m sure many more would be. I want to see the “athlete” do something athletic in the sport they are in, something the regular Joe, no matter how much practice, couldn’t do at the level of the athlete. IMO, Nascar racing is not a sport b/c the car has as much to do w/ winning and losing as the driver does (and I know you think it is and you are definately not alone so I’m not trying to change your mind…you won’t change mine, so we can skip that topic) Now I’m not saying what they do is easy because being in a car for that long at that speed having to pay attention continuously is not easy. I’m sure it wears the body down and a driver must have endurance as well as other attributes. But inside the car, what athletic thing can they do that makes them an “athlete”? Reaction time? Can be learned. Driving, strategy…learned. That’s why I CAN see a regular Joe doing this if he/she is given the right circumstances. Doesn’t mean he/she will be the best but at least could compete…but no matter how hard Mr. Regular Joe tries, he is NOT going to make the NBA, NFL, MLB b/c he is not athletic enough.

So my question is during a race, what makes them a professional athlete?

[quote=pip;185907]I think NASCAR hurts Charlotte more than it helps it.

I wonder what could have been lured here with 350 million (Theoretically, if the money had to be spent that is) . Maybe JPMorgan-Chase? I don’t know, but we shouldn’t be so ready to spend money on something that most people in the town could care less about and something that doesn’t really contribute to building reputation and the city.
quote]

Wrong… Nascar does a LOT for North Carolina as well as Charlotte.
From this article: [URL=http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/default.asp?id=15&objId=42]http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/default.asp?id=15&objId=42[/URL]

“They were involved in developing the Economic Impact and Strategic Planning Study for the Motorsports Industry of North Carolina in partnership with the UNC Charlotte Urban Institute, UNC Charlotte’s Belk College of Business Administration and the N.C. Motorsports Association. This study revealed that motorsports provides [B]24,000 jobs in North Carolina, generating an estimated $5.1 billion[/B] in revenue and has resulted in the N.C. General Assembly commissioning continued work on a feasibility study for a motorsports testing complex in the state.”

I agree that private industry should have built/own the Nascar Hall of Fame museum.