NASCAR 🏁

How does Nascar expect to become a real sport?
Dale Jr. wrecks Carl Edwards to win, & Edwards reacts after the race. Then Edwards gets fined & suspended. Yet Nascar does nothing to Jr. who caused the whole thing.
Is this Nascar’s version of the Nba’s 90’s rules of no foul on Jordan. Just remember, the NBA has been waning the last 10 years. Maybe Nascar wants to go down the toilet too.

1 Like

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;185756]How does Nascar expect to become a real sport?
Dale Jr. wrecks Carl Edwards to win, & Edwards reacts after the race. Then Edwards gets fined & suspended. Yet Nascar does nothing to Jr. who caused the whole thing.
Is this Nascar’s version of the Nba’s 90’s rules of no foul on Jordan. Just remember, the NBA has been waning the last 10 years. Maybe Nascar wants to go down the toilet too.[/QUOTE]

It has always been that way… the popular driver gets the benefit of the doubt and time marches on. NASCAR loves this stuff… it generates excitement. I bet alot of people tuned into the Cup race just to see if they would get into it.

it’s all rigged just like WWE

Nascar is dizzying… I can’t stand it.

1 Like
How does Nascar expect to become a real sport? Dale Jr. wrecks Carl Edwards to win, & Edwards reacts after the race. Then Edwards gets fined & suspended. Yet Nascar does nothing to Jr. who caused the whole thing. Is this Nascar's version of the Nba's 90's rules of no foul on Jordan. Just remember, the NBA has been waning the last 10 years. Maybe Nascar wants to go down the toilet too.

Based on the ratings, I’d say it’s far from going down the toilet. Nascar has always “protected” its money makers. Has been that way for 30 years and will be that way in 30 more. If anything, the more popular drivers are penalized more now than ever before. How many times did Earnhardt Sr. get fined for spinning out cars on the last lap during his run of success? Same ol’ story, different era yet thousands still show up and millions still tune in.

I know it’s at the top now, but people will get tired of the BS, & then it will fall.
I used to think the rigged talk was just that, talk, but now, it looks rigged.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;185775]I know it’s at the top now, but people will get tired of the BS, & then it will fall.
I used to think the rigged talk was just that, talk, but now, it looks rigged.[/QUOTE]

they used to favor gordon when he was first getting started. i think they were trying to add a new demographiccal group to their fanbase at the time.

How does Nascar expect to become a real sport? Dale Jr. wrecks Carl Edwards to win, & Edwards reacts after the race. Then Edwards gets fined & suspended. Yet Nascar does nothing to Jr. who caused the whole thing. Is this Nascar's version of the Nba's 90's rules of no foul on Jordan. Just remember, the NBA has been waning the last 10 years. Maybe Nascar wants to go down the toilet too.
Wrecking someone isn't necisarily cause for a penalty. Dale said he didnt do it on purpose and if you didn't mean to then thats just racin. He obviously could have been lying, (I didn't even see the wreck, just the stuff that happened after) but I watch enough to think he wasn't. You can't drive after someone who wrecked you and hit them in any case, especially if it was an accident. Going into victory lane and doing what Carl did was out of line.

When I watched the race at Michigan last weekend, they were all fine and dandy before the race. If you were going to watch the race to see if there was any drama between dale and carl, already you would have known there would be none. Also, to say Carl isn’t one of their money makers is somewhat of a mistatement. Carl isn’t as big as jr., Ill give you that, but he still pretty popular after his cup run last season.

In most sports the person who fouls first usually gets away anyways. Generally the game is rather heated up and the initial foul goes unseen for one reason or another or it is believed that it was just a consequence of the heated play and simply an accident. Again, this happens in all sports. Our very own Leemire Goldwire fell victim to this. The other player held his jersey and yanked him back and Leemire simply defended himself. He didn’t throw elbows, yet thats what they called it and they also called the major foul on him. NCAA basketball sure isn’t going down hill.

Is it rigged? It could be. I’ve found myself thinking that too and I’ve never heard anyone say it before either. The largest group of people who Nascar appeals to also love wrastlin so they already know those people are gulible. It sure would be hard tho to rig it when they are all going around 200mpg.

Musta been the faries and pansies demographic.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;185756]How does Nascar expect to become a real sport?
Is this Nascar’s version of the Nba’s 90’s rules of no foul on Jordan. Just remember, the NBA has been waning the last 10 years. Maybe Nascar wants to go down the toilet too.[/QUOTE]
Well, NASCAR fined Jr. and docked him 25 pts for saying shit on the air during the chase two years ago, I don’t think they are too buddy-buddy with him.

I personally don’t think it’s rigged. Tilted to the favor of the big-name teams and owners? Absolutely.

I agree on the demographics portion of it. There are a lot of younger drivers who are in the top 10 finishes as well as in the points standings. I always think to myself, where the hell did this guy come from???

It is much more a team sport now than a driver’s sport. This is another reason you see the younger guys in the standings rather than some of the veterans. Lately, it seems that whoever has the best team on a given day has the best shot at winning. Don’t get me wrong…you could put me in the best car and I would still finish 43rd…but there appears to be a lot less skill involved because of the separation of teams.

Cheating has also become ridiculous. Teams have always done it, but I have to wonder nowadays if more time is spent exploiting holes in the rulebook than doing real R&D.

With that said, I don’t think NASCAR is rigged. However, I do think that many teams have an unfair advantage (either a mega-buck shop or cheating) that is ruining the sport. NASCAR is also likely to turn the other cheek if something would cast a bad light on one of the favorite drivers. Drivers can have certain tracks they are good at, but there is no reason Jimmy Johnson should have won 4 out of the last 5 races at Lowes Motor Speedway.

For the record, I am not a Dale Jr. fan…but I did see the wreck last weekend. Whether accidental or intentional, it was too close to call for NASCAR to be able to make a firm decision. The way Carl Edwards responded and retaliated is what got him the penalty. I don’t care who they are…you just can’t react that way when traveling at close to 200mph.

they used to favor gordon when he was first getting started. i think they were trying to add a new demographiccal group to their fanbase at the time.

Bingo. It was all about getting the female vote.

I personally don't think it's rigged. Tilted to the favor of the big-name teams and owners? Absolutely.

I definitely wouldn’t use the word “rigged.” You have to consider that there are sponsors who are pumping thousands upon thousands of dollars into these race teams. If you think for one minute that those sponsors would continue to cough up the cash if the sport were rigged against them, you’re kidding yourself. If it were truly rigged, you’d have corporations like Home Depot, Pepsi, Budweiser, Lowes, etc. sponsoring all 43 cars and the less powerful corporations would be shut out.

Where I do feel there are sketchy areas are where Hootie referenced. I think that the only “rigging” is simply that the teams with the most money and most cars per team, have an enormous advantage over the other teams. It’s much like MLB in that NASCAR has become a competition between the haves and have nots, with the have nots rarely being competitive.

And I also don’t believe in the notions of NASCAR controlling certain elements of the race to favor its bread and butter drivers. For example, I don’t buy into “mysterious” caution flags to help a key driver get a lap back or fix a mechanical problem before going a lap down. There’s absolutely nothing out there to support that other than some coincidental incidents and a lot of fan bias/jealousy fueling the fire.

There is just too much money being paid by teams to allow any obvious rigging by NASCAR. Doing tweaks to you car in hopes of gaining an edge? Sure. Monopolizing the sport by having multi-car teams to gain more track testing dates? Sure. Spending more money than everyone else to have the best technology? Sure. But the sport isn’t as shady as most people make it out to be. At least not on the front office side of things but maybe amongst the individual teams.

And don’t hold your breath on NASCAR’s popularity crashing. The same thing was said back when they started killing off the historic tracks like North Wilkesboro. Virtually all the racing purists swore the end of the sport was coming if you started doing that. But in reality, the sport became even more popular by opening itself up to a more mainstream audience instead of a bunch of rednecks listening to the race on the radio while working on their pickup trucks.

I definitely wouldn't use the word "rigged." You have to consider that there are sponsors who are pumping thousands upon thousands of dollars into these race teams. If you think for one minute that those sponsors would continue to cough up the cash if the sport were rigged against them, you're kidding yourself. If it were truly rigged, you'd have corporations like Home Depot, Pepsi, Budweiser, Lowes, etc. sponsoring all 43 cars and the less powerful corporations would be shut out.

Where I do feel there are sketchy areas are where Hootie referenced. I think that the only “rigging” is simply that the teams with the most money and most cars per team, have an enormous advantage over the other teams. It’s much like MLB in that NASCAR has become a competition between the haves and have nots, with the have nots rarely being competitive.

And I also don’t believe in the notions of NASCAR controlling certain elements of the race to favor its bread and butter drivers. For example, I don’t buy into “mysterious” caution flags to help a key driver get a lap back or fix a mechanical problem before going a lap down. There’s absolutely nothing out there to support that other than some coincidental incidents and a lot of fan bias/jealousy fueling the fire.

There is just too much money being paid by teams to allow any obvious rigging by NASCAR. Doing tweaks to you car in hopes of gaining an edge? Sure. Monopolizing the sport by having multi-car teams to gain more track testing dates? Sure. Spending more money than everyone else to have the best technology? Sure. But the sport isn’t as shady as most people make it out to be. At least not on the front office side of things but maybe amongst the individual teams.

And don’t hold your breath on NASCAR’s popularity crashing. The same thing was said back when they started killing off the historic tracks like North Wilkesboro. Virtually all the racing purists swore the end of the sport was coming if you started doing that. But in reality, the sport became even more popular by opening itself up to a more mainstream audience instead of a bunch of rednecks listening to the race on the radio while working on their pickup trucks.

The problem with Nascar is that there is no level playing field:

Hendrick Motorsports has 4 drivers running at a time during every race. The drivers all block, draft and help each other out.

During one race I saw, they had one of their drivers, who was behind like 10 laps due to a wreck and had no chance of winning, racing on the track for the sole purpose of scuffing new tires for the other cars on the team.

I used to date a girl who worked there, so I heard all about their meetings… and, it is all about TEAMwork. Rick Hendrick will fire anyone who is not a team player and a kiss-a$$.

So, what does this do to the owner that only has one car out there?
A: Basically, it makes it absolutely improbable if not impossible for him to win.

There should be a mandatory rule that states each owner can only have 1 or 2 (at most) drivers in the race. That would make it fair… Problem w/that: lose sponsors and $.

NASCAR is stupid. There is never a surprise winner, and no reason to respect the drivers. BTW: danica patrick is an idiot. Back to Nascar- People watch Golf because a professional golfer is incredible at thier sport, and we know this because we have all tried that sport. People watch sports, not only because of the admiration of the athletes but also because of a hometown comroderie and of course the entertainment aspect. Nascar has no athletes, no sense of hometown commroderie because every single race is a repeat of the race before (barring a new track) no matter where it is located there is no hometown hero to cheer for, and last but not least IMO Nascar has absolutley no entertainment value (unless you like the sound of a car engine and the smell of a hairy redneck plummer who is sitting in front of you). There is just no reason to watch Nascar, and I know all you Nascar fans are the idiots who think their Camaro or Mustang is the coolest car on the planet with its loud exhaust and brand new racing stripes.

NASCAR is stupid. There is never a surprise winner, and no reason to respect the drivers. BTW: danica patrick is an idiot. Back to Nascar- People watch Golf because a professional golfer is incredible at thier sport, and we know this because we have all tried that sport. People watch sports, not only because of the admiration of the athletes but also because of a hometown comroderie and of course the entertainment aspect. Nascar has no athletes, no sense of hometown commroderie because every single race is a repeat of the race before (barring a new track) no matter where it is located there is no hometown hero to cheer for, and last but not least IMO Nascar has absolutley no entertainment value (unless you like the sound of a car engine and the smell of a hairy redneck plummer who is sitting in front of you). There is just no reason to watch Nascar, and I know all you Nascar fans are the idiots who think their Camaro or Mustang is the coolest car on the planet with its loud exhaust and brand new racing stripes.
It really sounds like you've never given nascar a chance. People who say that its simply cars going around and around have probably never really tried to understand the sport. If you want to call me an idiot because I like the sport, I could call you an idiot because you don't even understand it. If you did you would atleast have some respect for it. You may not like it, but you wouldnt go around insulting everything about it. I'd go point by point and show you were you are mistaken, but I have a feeling you're not going to give nascar a chance either way.

We have had a discussion on whether golfers and racers are athletes. I guess it is really an opinion thing but I would say a racer is atleast as much an athlete as a golfer.

Another obvious problem with Nascar is the question of are these guys really the best.

Any kid in the world can pick up a $10 football, soccer ball, basketball, etc. , practice, and become one of the best with enough will and time. Not many people at all can become a race car driver because of the initial and continuing expenses… It prices almost everyone out.

I will bet that if you gave everyone the chance to compete in Nascar like the chance they have to play basketball, you would not see ONE driver racing that is there now… There would be all new drivers… just due to the fact that there are so many people out there with better reflexes, better coordination, better decision-making skills, etc. who never get the chance to prove themselves or even know…

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;185823]Another obvious problem with Nascar is the question of are these guys really the best.

Any kid in the world can pick up a $10 football, soccer ball, basketball, etc. , practice, and become one of the best with enough will and time. Not many people at all can become a race car driver because of the initial and continuing expenses… It prices almost everyone out.

I will bet that if you gave everyone the chance to compete in Nascar like the chance they have to play basketball, you would not see ONE driver racing that is there now… There would be all new drivers… just due to the fact that there are so many people out there with better reflexes, better coordination, better decision-making skills, etc. who never get the chance to prove themselves or even know…[/QUOTE]

Agree 100 percent…

I used to hate Nascar…bought into all the stereotypes and stuff. When I met my wife…her family are huge Nascar fans and watch it every sunday…even over football :ohmy:!!!

I have since been to a race or two with my in-laws…and although I am in no way a fan…I would say that judgements on racing should be held until you go to a race. They are really entertaining!!! I cant watch 5 minutes of one on TV…but they are pretty good live.

Not so much not giving it a chance as not having a clue about the sport, which is obvious from most of the comments made. No athletes?..lol. That stereotype went out the window a decade ago. Most of today’s drivers are working out multiple times a week, are in incredible shape and participate in other sports during their spare time. The whole “bunch of rednecks riding around in circles” lable lost its relevance a long time ago. No sense of hometown camaraderie? A significant portion of the drivers are from this region and grew up here. Not to mention, the majority of team shops are located in N.C. In reality, there’s probably not another sport where there’s more hometown camaraderie than in NASCAR. No entertainment value? Again, you clearly show your ignorance of the sport and it’s popularity. If it weren’t entertaining, then it would be pulling in millions of viewers every single week, year in and year out. I won’t even acknowledge the ridiculous mustang/camaro comment.

I’m not even a big fan of NASCAR. I could take it or leave it but it is a sport, the drivers are athletes and it’s not nearly as much as a blue collar, redneck sport as it used to be. To be honest, the demographic that made NASCAR popular in the 70’s can barely even afford to attend a race these days. I think you’re letting outdated and innaccurate stereotypes get in the way of actually respecting NASCAR for what it is.

I would say that judgements on racing should be held until you go to a race. They are really entertaining!!! I cant watch 5 minutes of one on TV....but they are pretty good live.
I am actually the exact opposite. I'd rather watch it on TV than go to the race. Sitting in the middle of smelly, sweating people and constant ciggarette smoke is not my idea of fun. Some races I just get in the mood to watch most of it, but usually I just leave it on and do other stuff and check in on it every once in a while.

As for if these guys are the best, I agree a lot with that. I do think that some of them would stay however but many would go. I’d try and race if I could but don’t have anywhere near enough money to pay for it. I think I’d be pretty good if I got my chance. I can whoop some butt at Gran Terismo:biggrin: