National ranking for Math-Finance program

The MS in Mathematical Finance program was just ranked #25 in the country out of 41 ranked programs (and about 100 in total.) They are in some pretty good company it looks like, and beat out a number of really good schools. Neat.
Press release: http://belkcollege.uncc.edu/about-college/news-events/news/unc-charlotte’s-ms-mathematical-finance-program-ranked-no-25-financia

The actual rankings: https://www.thefinancialengineer.net/rankings/.

[quote=“Ninerdawg, post:1, topic:29063”]The MS in Mathematical Finance program was just ranked #25 in the country out of 41 ranked programs (and about 100 in total.) They are in some pretty good company it looks like, and beat out a number of really good schools. Neat.
Press release: http://belkcollege.uncc.edu/about-college/news-events/news/unc-charlotte’s-ms-mathematical-finance-program-ranked-no-25-financia

The actual rankings: https://www.thefinancialengineer.net/rankings/.[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. For those who did not click on the link, NC only has 2 schools ranked. NCSU is ranked #24 and we are #25. Not bad at all.

clt says we like math.

We are a math school now

We are a math school now[/quote] Lock up those professors with long term contracts. ;D

and Finance

We are a math school now[/quote]

Wasn’t the math department in the crapper a few years back?

Any type of recognition like this is great. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it some more: the rankings, love them or hate them, are a powerful force and a game that we need to learn how to play. No more principled stand, etc. Get in there, roll up the sleeves, and get the rankings up. Perception is everything.

Agree. This is much more important and valuable than being ranked top 25 in basketball… At least it is for math and finance majors.

Wasn’t the math department in the crapper a few years back?[/quote]

I always heard this from other students, even people saying that the department had been put on probation by the accrediting agency. I always assumed it was false because I never heard anyone at the university or in the department say anything about this and have never been able to find anything else that would substantiate the claim. Usually the ones I heard saying the department was on probation were the same that expected to learn math by sitting in a class, doze off while the professor was teaching, and never do homework.

I always heard this from other students, even people saying that the department had been put on probation by the accrediting agency. I always assumed it was false because I never heard anyone at the university or in the department say anything about this and have never been able to find anything else that would substantiate the claim. Usually the ones I heard saying the department was on probation were the same that expected to learn math by sitting in a class, doze off while the professor was teaching, and never do homework.[/quote]

Yeah, this is complete BS. There is no department-level accreditation for math. The University is accredited by SACS, and has never had an issue with its accreditation - in fact it was re-accredited just this past December. Some Colleges (like Business) have an additional accreditation, but CLAS does not, and no math-department has a separate accreditation.

clt says to solve for x.

I always heard this from other students, even people saying that the department had been put on probation by the accrediting agency. I always assumed it was false because I never heard anyone at the university or in the department say anything about this and have never been able to find anything else that would substantiate the claim. Usually the ones I heard saying the department was on probation were the same that expected to learn math by sitting in a class, doze off while the professor was teaching, and never do homework.[/quote]

Probably just because low-level math classes as a whole have shitty grades. Everybody is required to take them regardless of major, and it still falls under the math department.

I know I did my part to lower the department average when I took college algebra. Some folks are just mathematical imbeciles… I’m one of them.

This in part thanks to people like Dr. Harold Reiter, who iirc was honored at a football game last year.