National University?

I have been researching the academic rankings and I was trying to determine if UNC Charlotte was considered a national university or regional university. If it is a national university what tier are we considered?

I can’t tell you the tier we’re in, but we’re definitely considered a regional university.

[QUOTE=C49er;146684]I can’t tell you the tier we’re in, but we’re definitely considered a regional university.[/QUOTE]

With that question answered, isn’t being a national university considered more prestigious? Are we working toward becoming a national university?

I have been researching the academic rankings and I was trying to determine if UNC Charlotte was considered a national university or regional university. If it is a national university what tier are we considered?

Regional I believe, and I think out of southern or southeastern schools, I don’t remember which, we were ranked 27th (UNC-Wilmington was 22nd I think).

National vs. Regional is determined by the amount of programs you have, doctoral programs you have, and number of doctoral degrees given out per year. This is one of Dubois’ major initiatives- we are right on the cusp of having enough doctoral degrees given out each year (I think we are at like 43 and you need 50 on a consistent basis). our number of doctoral programs is also just a few shy.

This is why he continues to state he has more important things to worry about on the academic side. Once we’re classified as national, we’ll appear in those rankings and can attact more research grants and money - the bread and butter of college funding today.

National vs. Regional is determined by the amount of programs you have, doctoral programs you have, and number of doctoral degrees given out per year. This is one of Dubois' major initiatives- we are right on the cusp of having enough doctoral degrees given out each year (I think we are at like 43 and you need 50 on a consistent basis). our number of doctoral programs is also just a few shy.

This is why he continues to state he has more important things to worry about on the academic side. Once we’re classified as national, we’ll appear in those rankings and can attact more research grants and money - the bread and butter of college funding today.

Right on!

That is why when he is asked about football he always responds with the old line about “academic needs”.

Once we are national, we can start to pursue football.