NC Universities Flunk Affordability Test

I dunno about wasting time. I think too many people with technical degrees in hard sciences or engineering tend to devalue other degrees. I myself often don't represent this view, but regardless of what you get a degree in, there is a high value in learning material for the sake of learning. Not learning to get a job, not learning so you can do work, or pass a test. Some people choose to learn because they are interested in something.

Now they might not be able to get a job as easily when they come out, and it may not be as specialized, but I don’t think it’s fair to discount liberal arts or social science degrees.

I have a BS in Geography from Charlotte, so I understand what you are saying.

I think what it comes down to is there are too many colleges and they are all growing too much. Now with all these online courses and degrees it is only getting worse. People will then be spending boat loads of money for jobs they don’t even need degrees for.

Well, unfortunately it is a by-product of our goal to educate everyone as much as possible. The more people that become educated at a certain level, be it 2 year or 4 year, or further up, the more education will be required to stand apart. In my eyes a two year degree is worthless if it is a business degree, or something that people typically get four year degrees for.

With 25% of the population now having four year degrees (i think, dont quote me) a masters has become the new 4 year degree. And from what I hear from people I know that have them, they don’t even hold as much weight anymore.

After a masters you can only go get a professional doctorate or a PHD in pretty much any field, which doesn’t leave much more room to climb to the top.

From my senior class in HS, (i graduated in 2002) there are like 6 people I know pursuing doctorates right now… That number would probably be UNHEARD of 30 years ago. It’s because we want to educate everyone, and we end up cheapening what it means to have a degree, so you have to go higher to set yourself apart.

Sad, but that’s how I see it.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;367391]Well, unfortunately it is a by-product of our goal to educate everyone as much as possible. The more people that become educated at a certain level, be it 2 year or 4 year, or further up, the more education will be required to stand apart. In my eyes a two year degree is worthless if it is a business degree, or something that people typically get four year degrees for.

With 25% of the population now having four year degrees (i think, dont quote me) a masters has become the new 4 year degree. And from what I hear from people I know that have them, they don’t even hold as much weight anymore.

After a masters you can only go get a professional doctorate or a PHD in pretty much any field, which doesn’t leave much more room to climb to the top.

From my senior class in HS, (i graduated in 2002) there are like 6 people I know pursuing doctorates right now… That number would probably be UNHEARD of 30 years ago. It’s because we want to educate everyone, and we end up cheapening what it means to have a degree, so you have to go higher to set yourself apart.

Sad, but that’s how I see it.[/QUOTE]

Very true. We are quickly approaching the point where you need a B.S. in mechanical engineering to run a griddle at Waffle House.

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;367393]Very true. We are quickly approaching the point where you need a B.S. in mechanical engineering to run a griddle at Waffle House.[/QUOTE]

and 8 years minimum experience. However the jobs are out there people, we just need 4 degrees to get them.

and 8 years minimum experience. However the jobs are out there people, we just need 4 degrees to get them.

4 degrees and 5-7 years experience for a mid-level job.

4 degrees and 5-7 years experience for a mid-level job.

Same thing in patent law. You want someone with a Tech Degree, worked in the field and has 7 years legal experience for a mid-level attorney position? Those people exist…they are called partners.

Learned that HR asks for the world, but they take someone with less. Just have to cater you resume with all of the same buzzwords as in the job description.

Completely sad though that everything has become a game about credentials instead of finding competence.