NC Universities Flunk Affordability Test

http://www.goblueridge.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5178&Itemid=1

[QUOTE]In-state tuition and fees at Appalachian State run a little more than $2,250.00 per semester, at UNC-Chapel Hill tuition and fees cost nearly $2,700, and tuition and fees at UNC-Charlotte cost students around $2,140 per semester. [/QUOTE]

To be fair, all but one state failed, I wonder what an “A” for affordability was, free?

Tuition compared to inflation:

We bash oil companies all the time but:

You’re right, ID. Its quite a nonsense study.

I guess what caught my eye the most was the tuition & fees comparison. People freak out when they’re presented with a possible increase in student tuition & fees for football…in reality, our tuition & fees is lower than App, UNC-CH, etc…

I guess what caught my eye the most was the tuition & fees comparison. People freak out when they're presented with a possible increase in student tuition & fees for football...in reality, our tuition & fees is lower than App, UNC-CH, etc...
yep.

Add to that Chapel Hill wants a 6% increase next year.

It’s California that passed… which doesn’t make sense because in Georgia it’s free…

These people are quacks… they failed Georgia.

Here is the report, and you can look at any of the states: http://measuringup2008.highereducation.org/states/report_cards/index.php?state=GA

And here are the details on Georgia’s Hope Scholarship, which will pay all tuition and fees for someone who has an maintains a B average in a Georgia state school.

http://learning.monster.com/learning/resources/article/103863?id=bd396a8e30ea9236921374628861f895

I also did a paper on grade inflation, and it is pretty bad in Georgia because of the pressure to keep those averages at a B level or higher, so as long as you don’t totally screw up, you can maintain that average as well.

These people are quacks.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;367301]It’s California that passed… which doesn’t make sense because in Georgia it’s free…[/QUOTE]

Don’t you have to have a cumulative B to have it be free in Georgia? Although I find that completely fair I am sure they did not include that because it is unfair to the kids who can’t maintain halfway decent grades in high school…

Don't you have to have a cumulative B to have it be free in Georgia? Although I find that completely fair I am sure they did not include that because it is unfair to the kids who can't maintain halfway decent grades in high school...
If you can't keep up to Georgia's low standards, you don't deserve free school. I have a friend in GA. I loathe him.

The cost of attending Charlotte has jumped by 170% in eleven years since I graduated, assuming that you are not commuting. That’s insane. Over the 5 years I was there, the total bill was right at $25,000. Now that won’t get you two years worth. The problem is, where does it end? The number of full-time faculty at most schools is declining, so why do costs keep soaring?

The problem is, where does it end?
excellent question
The number of full-time faculty at most schools is declining, so why do costs keep soaring?
Honestly I think the biggest issue is the balance of providing an attractive place to be educated, while keeping the cost of that education low.

You’ve got to pay for the best. California passed because of community college? Last time I checked California and NC still had the two best state college systems in terms of quality of education received, is that not important? According to the chart posted inflation and college costs have pretty much been even, so I don’t see any astronomical jumps. Free does seem to be the only way that it would be acceptable, and more and more as our economy transitions into service and manufacturing and other such sectors shrink, you will need a 4 year degree to make a solid living, meaning its becoming kind of like staying in HS used to be. It means a lot of people may be barred from the career they want because of money. You can make the same argument with healthcare too, where do you strike the balance in quality v. quantity.

[QUOTE=X-49er;367328]The cost of attending Charlotte has jumped by 170% in eleven years since I graduated, assuming that you are not commuting. That’s insane. Over the 5 years I was there, the total bill was right at $25,000. Now that won’t get you two years worth. The problem is, where does it end? The number of full-time faculty at most schools is declining, so why do costs keep soaring?[/QUOTE]

The number of full-time faculty at UNC Charlotte has grown tremendously over the same 11 year period. Tuition and fees here cannot go up more than 6.5% per year due to a system-wide fee cap, which is just over the rate of inflation. This allows schools to grow.

If someone would rather go to a school in decline, they should do it. I don’t mind paying 6.5% more each year, as I know our school is growing. (UNC Charlotte has never increased student fees at or near the maximum, but that was just an example).

[QUOTE=ninerID;367298]yep.

Add to that Chapel Hill wants a 6% increase next year.[/QUOTE]

During a recession no doubt. Brilliant!!

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;367340]The number of full-time faculty at UNC Charlotte has grown tremendously over the same 11 year period. [/QUOTE]

Good. Then we are the exception to the report.

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;367340]
Tuition and fees here cannot go up more than 6.5% per year due to a system-wide fee cap, which is just over the rate of inflation. This allows schools to grow. If someone would rather go to a school in decline, they should do it. I don’t mind paying 6.5% more each year, as I know our school is growing. (UNC Charlotte has never increased student fees at or near the maximum, but that was just an example).[/QUOTE]

Somebody’s math is wrong, because a 6.5% increase per year over 11 years does not add up to a 170% increase in cost since 1997. I’m using $13,500 as my cost figure for one year at Charlotte currently (which includes meals plus room and board). I got that from the average cost of a UNC-system university according to CFNC. If someone has a more accurate number, please share it. If your numbers only include tuition and fees, then that might be the difference in our numbers.

[QUOTE=X-49er;367348]Somebody’s math is wrong, because a 6.5% increase per year over 11 years does not add up to a 170% increase in cost since 1997. I’m using $13,500 as my cost figure for one year at Charlotte currently (which includes meals plus room and board). I got that from the average cost of a UNC-system university according to CFNC. If someone has a more accurate number, please share it. If your numbers only include tuition and fees, then that might be the difference in our numbers.[/QUOTE]

Yes, my numbers only reflect tuition and fees. Also, the increase cap was not put in place until a few years ago.

The report is just to further egg on the fact that college is too expensive. The problem is college has become too inclusive. Almost anyone can get a college degree now, but where does it stop?

I understand everyone should have a fair opportunity to receive an education, but what is the point of handing out thousands and thousands of BAs in sociology or other types of degrees that there is no marketplace for?

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;367360]The report is just to further egg on the fact that college is too expensive. The problem is college has become too inclusive. Almost anyone can get a college degree now, but where does it stop?

I understand everyone should have a fair opportunity to receive an education, but what is the point of handing out thousands and thousands of BAs in sociology or other types of degrees that there is no marketplace for?[/QUOTE]

The point of further education? To delay the inevitable monotony of real life.

You guys hit the nail square on the head. Charlotte is one of the BEST educational buys in the COUNTRY. Tuition at NC public colleges is VERY affordable when compared to many other neighboring states.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;367360]
I understand everyone should have a fair opportunity to receive an education, but what is the point of handing out thousands and thousands of BAs in sociology or other types of degrees that there is no marketplace for?[/QUOTE]

Well, I’m not going to call somebody’s degree worthless, but going to college just “to go to college” to me is worthless. Those kids usually wind up getting a degree that they are not going to use and that does not qualify them for a job they would like to have. Wasted money of theirs, their parents, or that of a benefactor. I know not everyone knows exactly what they want to do in life when they graduate high school, but they should have some idea so that whatever classes they are taking early in college can be counted to their future major, even if they change up a little. If my kid has absolutely no idea what he wants to major in when he graduates high school, he will be going the community college route until he makes up his mind unless he has a scholarship in waiting. Spending $27,000 for two years of generic classes at a university does not make much sense when you can get them for 1/4 of that or less at the local CC.

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;367361]The point of further education? To delay the inevitable monotony of real life.[/QUOTE]

College, maybe not. Grad school, definitely!

I dunno about wasting time. I think too many people with technical degrees in hard sciences or engineering tend to devalue other degrees. I myself often don’t represent this view, but regardless of what you get a degree in, there is a high value in learning material for the sake of learning. Not learning to get a job, not learning so you can do work, or pass a test. Some people choose to learn because they are interested in something.

Now they might not be able to get a job as easily when they come out, and it may not be as specialized, but I don’t think it’s fair to discount liberal arts or social science degrees.