NCAA won't license EA Sports Games anymore (IT'S BACK!)

Apparently having the Niner’s joining college football was the final straw for this game. Guess we’ll never see the Niners or Richardson Stadium in this format ever.

BUT, neither will Matt Johnson be ripped off monetarily after EA makes a few grand off all the niner fans who buy the game just to pretend the niners win the title and Matt Johnson wins the heisman :slight_smile: Just sayin…

Thanks Ed O’Bannon. >:D

X, it’s not Ed’s fault. The NCAA would rather not make $ than to share the $.

He brought about the lawsuit. It is his fault. And why? Because he blew all of his $3.9 million that he made in the NBA. And how did he get that contract? By getting to play college basketball. So what’s he do now that he’s broke? Sees the '95 UCLA team on a video game and a player with with his number on it and says “hey, I’m gonna sue to get me some money because I’m now a victim since I don’t have any”. Spare me the sob stories about these athletes being hard luck stories, especially the football and basketball players. O’Bannon got treated like royalty and got every perk you could ask for along with $130,000 worth of education (current UCLA tuition rate) while he was in school. I know if it wasn’t him it would be some other dumbass who blew his wallet and then goes looking for somebody else to pay his way. But O’Bannon started this nonsense.

1 Like

I’d rather the NCAA and its member schools actually enforce the “student” part rather than worry about paying these kids.

A college education is invaluable, but many of these schools don’t even try to educate these players at all. So it’s hard to say that the kids are getting any real value from their experience.

Did you see the Jay Bilas experiment pulling up Johnny Manziel & Jadeveon Clowney jerseys for sale? That goes beyond the free college. That was merchandising, & merchandising you got’s to pay up.

I think the rightful argument is finally being made. It used to be, “Pay the players!”, and I was never down with that. A scholarship IS paying the players.

I see a lot of rationale in what I’m hearing now, which is, allow players to benefit monetarily on their own. If someone wants to pay Johnny Manzeil for some autographs, I think he should be allowed to accept.

I think Jay Bilas has been making some very good arguments for this on the networks. The Olympics finally dropped the whole “amateur” thing and started allowing athletes to benefit outside of the sport. No one is paying them except commercial interests who want to invest in them. Why not for NCAA athletes as well?

[quote=“dmastinsc, post:8, topic:28098”]I think the rightful argument is finally being made. It used to be, “Pay the players!”, and I was never down with that. A scholarship IS paying the players.

I see a lot of rationale in what I’m hearing now, which is, allow players to benefit monetarily on their own. If someone wants to pay Johnny Manzeil for some autographs, I think he should be allowed to accept.

I think Jay Bilas has been making some very good arguments for this on the networks. The Olympics finally dropped the whole “amateur” thing and started allowing athletes to benefit outside of the sport. No one is paying them except commercial interests who want to invest in them. Why not for NCAA athletes as well?[/quote]

The issue is, something people like Bilas have a hard time understanding, is schools can then use this in their recruiting pitch. The school will essentially become the stage for these athletes. Alabama will tell recruits they can offer autograph signings with people that will give X recruit $20k, where as LSU can only offer $10k. What do you think Charlotte would be able to offer? A pepsi and a bag of fritos?

Olympic athletes are their own brand and market. They may be in college and even play on their college team, but that is all separate from the college. If you’re Olympic caliber, that’s known before you pick a college. You need sponsorship and monetary investment in order to pursue your Olympic goals. College athletes receive that in payment of tuition, facilities, healthcare, training, meals, apparel, etc.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:9, topic:28098”][quote=“dmastinsc, post:8, topic:28098”]I think the rightful argument is finally being made. It used to be, “Pay the players!”, and I was never down with that. A scholarship IS paying the players.

I think Jay Bilas has been making some very good arguments for this on the networks. The Olympics finally dropped the whole “amateur” thing and started allowing athletes to benefit outside of the sport. No one is paying them except commercial interests who want to invest in them. Why not for NCAA athletes as well?[/quote]

The issue is, something people like Bilas have a hard time understanding, is schools can then use this in their recruiting pitch. The school will essentially become the stage for these athletes. Alabama will tell recruits they can offer autograph signings with people that will give X recruit $20k, where as LSU can only offer $10k. What do you think Charlotte would be able to offer? A pepsi and a bag of fritos?

Olympic athletes are their own brand and market. They may be in college and even play on their college team, but that is all separate from the college. If you’re Olympic caliber, that’s known before you pick a college. You need sponsorship and monetary investment in order to pursue your Olympic goals. College athletes receive that in payment of tuition, facilities, healthcare, training, meals, apparel, etc.[/quote]
This.

“Come play for us and a local dealership may sign you to endorse their products. All folks who endorse that dealership get a car to drive.”

[quote=“J Felt, post:6, topic:28098”]I’d rather the NCAA and its member schools actually enforce the “student” part rather than worry about paying these kids.

A college education is invaluable, but many of these schools don’t even try to educate these players at all. So it’s hard to say that the kids are getting any real value from their experience.[/quote]

clt says to keep UNC-ch out of this.

Don’t sign the NLI if you don’t like the rules. The NCAA is not “making” millions. They are not-for-profit. That “profit” goes to host the championships they sanction and for scholarships. Manziel and Clowney could have gone to Canada to play if they didn’t like the NCAA rules. Nobody was stopping them, and nobody would have “taken advantage of them” there. ::slight_smile: If you want to blame someone, blame the NFL and NBA for not having their own quality minor league systems like MLB does. You don’t hear about this nonsense with college baseball players because a) they can go pro right out of high school and b) there is a quality minor league system in place that gives a viable option to young talent other than college where they can make money. But at the same time, elite college football and basketball players do have options to play elsewhere. If not, then it’s so pitiful that they get play on a stage as enormous as D1 football or basketball. If they’re not there for the education, then don’t go. Stay home and sign autographs. You’ll get zero sympathy from me.

1 Like

College baseball is also small time compared to football and basketball.

And, that is a naive treatment of the NCAA, they are making a lot of money. It just goes to the people on top.

Sure it is, but their development system is by far the best. And MLB set it up this way, not the NCAA. You want to go pro out of high school and make money instead of getting an education? You can, and they have places for you to play and hone your skills without having to take classes if you don’t want to.

Most execs at big time not-for-profits make nice salaries. I don’t agree with it, but even the president of the Susan G. Komen Foundation made $684,717 last year.

So, it isn’t making shareholders money, but they are making money. And a lot of it.

I have worked for three different non profits. All of different sizes. I can assure you that the term non profit does not apply to the employees in upper management. Non profits are not filled with executives who want to limit their incomes in the name of the greater good.

Bringing this one back from the grave…

As many have heard already, EA officially announced earlier today:

https://twitter.com/EASPORTS/status/1356644353901539342?s=19

Then we found this out:

“EA Sports is currently planning to use rosters without the name, image or likeness of real players in accordance with current NCAA rules” https://twitter.com/CraigSJ/status/1356654530465828867/photo/1

Which is fine, as long as they have the teams nicknames, logos, unis, stadiums, songs and maybe even the coaches correct. Once you get into dynasty mode the players stop mattering anyway.

But @CharlotteFTBL took it further:

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFTBL/status/1356748468497301506?s=19

I can’t wait for this. Will be a release day buy for me.

1 Like

Not only release day purchase, but the use of at least two vacation days from work! I can’t wait.

Been thinking about this…

First off we have some amazing AI fake people generators now…

And for the name generator, Key & Peele have it handled:

I am totally recruiting Kingle McKringleberry and Tyrone Smoochie Wallace

https://twitter.com/Barstool49ers/status/1356786999714336770?s=20