NCDMV UNCC License Plate

If you want one of these plates click here: https://edmv.dot.state.nc.us/sp/ShowSpecialPlate?category=collegiate&code=UCC

This is a great topic! Of course, I say that because it is one that I know something about.

I was responsible for changing the logo on the plates about four years ago. We looked at using several different logos and settled on the one that is in use due to size constraints. The full “Charlotte” logo gets to be too small once it is sized down to fit the space.

The plate does cost an extra $25 per year, and $15 of it comes to campus. We use 100% of that money to support students. We not only use the money to support students because it is a great idea, but also because it is the law. Over the years the program has helped many students on our campus. Next academic year alone, the Alumni Association will award a total of $15,000 to seniors at the University through the Alumni Association Merit Scholar Program. The amount that we are able to award and the number of students that we are able to help increases each year, thanks in part to those who have a 49er plate on their vehicle. It’s a pretty good cause if you ask me, but I’m a little biased.

Thanks for bringing this up Charlottesweb!

My bad. I’m actually Q0944 and I got it about a year ago. What is the highest number anyone has seen or has?

This is a great topic! Of course, I say that because it is one that I know something about.

I was responsible for changing the logo on the plates about four years ago. We looked at using several different logos and settled on the one that is in use due to size constraints. The full “Charlotte” logo gets to be too small once it is sized down to fit the space.

The plate does cost an extra $25 per year, and $15 of it comes to campus. We use 100% of that money to support students. We not only use the money to support students because it is a great idea, but also because it is the law. Over the years the program has helped many students on our campus. Next academic year alone, the Alumni Association will award a total of $15,000 to seniors at the University through the Alumni Association Merit Scholar Program. The amount that we are able to award and the number of students that we are able to help increases each year, thanks in part to those who have a 49er plate on their vehicle. It’s a pretty good cause if you ask me, but I’m a little biased.

Thanks for bringing this up Charlottesweb!

Thanks for the reply 49erAlumnus! I was trying not to complain about the logo, but I guess I just love to see the word “Charlotte” everywhere I can. Thanks for your hard work.

https://edmv.dot.state.nc.us/sp/ShowSpecialPlate?category=collegiate&code=UCC

for anyone intersested, there’s the cost breakdown.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;169292]My bad. I’m actually Q0944 and I got it about a year ago. What is the highest number anyone has seen or has?[/QUOTE]

That’s about the highest number I’ve seen. I pay close attention too, because I usually pass/get passed by several cars with these plates on my way home from the games. I can’t remember what my first plate number was, but the new one is Q0833. I understand that they want to get the old plate “killed” (so it can’t be used duplicately), but a simple exchange is all that is needed so that folks can keep their existing numbers. It would require a second trip back to the license plate agency, but most wouldn’t mind if they wanted to keep their existing number.

While we’re discussing this topic, I want to fire back up my rant about the customizing of these plates. Does anyone know why we HAVE to have a letter assigned to these plates as the first letter? Secondly, why do we have “Q”? If I did want to spend the extra $30 more to customize it with a Niner theme, the q kind of limits my options. I know the DMV requires each collegiate plate to have a letter designation, but why? With the logo on it, it’s not like they’re going to have problems with doubles of the plate. These plates should be customizable just like the regular ones. If having to have a letter in front wasn’t bad enough, they had to give us the second worst letter in the alphabet to work with. Anybody got any real insight into this? :pout: :confused: :ticked: :unhappy:

I remember the discussion when we were trying to get the initial 300 to begin the program, I think we were planning to use “C” but by the time we actually got enough deposits Clemson had gotten it. There were only a couple of letters left and somebody chose “Q” for Queen City. I agree that this is pretty lame, and now they are using two letter designations stacked vertically to the right of the number. CP for Carolina Panthers, SC for South Carolina, etc–okay all you name change enthusiasts, how about UC?

[QUOTE=Nugget;169320]I remember the discussion when we were trying to get the initial 300 to begin the program, I think we were planning to use “C” but by the time we actually got enough deposits Clemson had gotten it. There were only a couple of letters left and somebody chose “Q” for Queen City. I agree that this is pretty lame, and now they are using two letter designations stacked vertically to the right of the number. CP for Carolina Panthers, SC for South Carolina, etc–okay all you name change enthusiasts, how about UC?[/QUOTE]
I’ll vote for UC!

I'll vote for UC!

Me too! I don’t have one now cause I’m still an undergrad with no money, but once I get some I will be getting a plate. I bet when I graduate we will be UofC so UC sounds good to me.

Can we actually get the Q changed?

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;169292]My bad. I’m actually Q0944 and I got it about a year ago. What is the highest number anyone has seen or has?[/QUOTE]
I saw 1000 something today, 1004 or 1007 or something like that.

I bring this topic back up because I also saw a personalized plate. Had the logo then the standard Q and then a few letters (I’m guessing initials) instead of the numbers. So there is no way to get rid of the Q, but you can personalize them somewhat.

clt and mrs clt have numbers in the 1100’s.

my good friend clt how have you been?

The “C-49er pick” is perfect. The full “charlotte” logo would be too small. I actually refused to get the plate until the logo changed - not to start another topic - but i do not own anything that says “UNC”.
I do agree, that sometimes people don’t know - but when they ask I get to tell them about Charlotte.
I see more and more of them every month - join the club and help market your Niners!

Blah! At least you guys in NC can get one of these plates. Need to find some more niners up here and find out what the minimum is.

In New Jersey you can get:

Rutgers
Seton Hall
Penn State
Michigan
Stevens Tech
NJIT
Notre Dame

I also think Temple as well, but it wasn’t listed on the site although I swear I seen one before.

Rutgers has alumni plates in obviously New Jersey…and then Virginia and Maryland.

What other states has Charlotte plates, if any? Also what is typically the minimum for something like that?

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;174535]In New Jersey you can get:

Rutgers
Seton Hall
Penn State
Michigan
Stevens Tech
NJIT
Notre Dame

I also think Temple as well, but it wasn’t listed on the site although I swear I seen one before.

Rutgers has alumni plates in obviously New Jersey…and then Virginia and Maryland.

What other states has Charlotte plates, if any? Also what is typically the minimum for something like that?[/QUOTE]
I don’t think any other state have Charlotte plates. The minimum is normally 250-300 to get a new plate started (I believe). I saw that they were attempting to get Wake Forest plates in VA, but they weren’t sure that they had enough people to do it.

[QUOTE=C49er;174536]I don’t think any other state have Charlotte plates. The minimum is normally 250-300 to get a new plate started (I believe). I saw that they were attempting to get Wake Forest plates in VA, but they weren’t sure that they had enough people to do it.[/QUOTE]

Here’s link to what DMV has in Virgina. They have Appalachian St but no Charlotte. :unhappy:

[URL=http://www.dmvnow.com/exec/vehicle/splates/category.asp?category=C]College Plates[/URL]

Forget the Charlotte plate, VA. You need to be supporting one of the state’s community colleges. :confused:

[QUOTE=the daxified one;174462]my good friend clt how have you been?[/QUOTE]

clt is doing well. clt endorses michael barrett.

So there is no way to get rid of the Q, but you can personalize them somewhat.

I seriously considered personalizing mine as [SIZE=5][COLOR=green]QWK 3 [SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]in honor of Demon Brown’s offensive proclivity but thought better of it . . .:biggrin: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]