NCDMV UNCC License Plate

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I[/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2] first purchased one of these plates back in 1997 when they first came out. In fact, I was one of the first 300 people to pre-order the plate before the NCDMV would ever produce it. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Anyway, after almost 10 years, my plate is looking faded and rusty and I need a new one. Ordering one is no problem of course, but is there anyone out there other than myself that prefers the old design of the plates to the new? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Back in ’00 or ’01, they replaced both the old 49ers logo and the UNC Charlotte crown logo [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]with just a newer 49ers pick logo. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The 49ers pick logo is great of course, but outside of the Charlotte region, most people (unless they are alumni) have no clue what that logo is. Is it the San Francisco 49ers? or a hockey team? There is no identification to the University at all; it’s more of an athletic logo. At least with the old plate, the University was identified, which I preferred.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]If you look at the other plates at:[/SIZE]

[URL=https://edmv.dot.state.nc.us/sp/SpecialPlatesList?category=collegiate][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]https://edmv.dot.state.nc.us/sp/SpecialPlatesList?category=collegiate[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[SIZE=2]you’ll see that most of the other collegiate plates are pretty obvious which University they represent, except for maybe A & T or Gardner-Webb.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]As a compromise, I would at least like to see the standard CHARLOTTE pick logo on there. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Maybe that was proposed a few years ago and space was an issue. But I feel that the current plate does not represent the University very well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Maybe if enough alumni and students felt the same way, we could get the Alumni Association to look into revising it. Sorry Nick, I know you probably have enough to do. I’d be glad to help.:smile: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Anyway, just my $.02.[/SIZE]

They might have to shrink it so bad to fit that it’d be hard to see. I understand your suggestion though.

There are 3 or 4 Niner plates in my relatively small parking lot at work. I dont know who you other folks are, but it’s cool.

I also had some guy pull up beside me at a light screaming Go Niners.

It’s amazing what a little bit of marketing and brand management can do. We need more of this.

One solution may be to purchase a Charlotte border for your plate. Although its not a good assumption, I think the administration may have assumed that anyone that has one of these plates would also have a Charlotte border.

I love driving right beside another car that has the 49er plate. I just like to advertise to the cars that are stuck behind us.

Right after I got my plate, I was pulling out of Best Buy onto the main road, and a guy stuck his head out the window and asked how he could get on.

Definitely cool.

How do you get one? I assume you have to pay extra?

[QUOTE=Gill2003;169028]How do you get one? I assume you have to pay extra?[/QUOTE]

I think it’s something like $25.00 extra a year = $2 a month. You just go to the [U][URL=https://edmv.dot.state.nc.us/sp/ShowSpecialPlate?category=collegiate&code=UCC][U]NC DMV [/U][/URL][/U]website and click on the College plates link.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;169028]How do you get one? I assume you have to pay extra?[/QUOTE]

It’s about $45 total at the NC plate office (same price as personalized). Just ask for it. They really do look good.

Also, I believe part of the proceeds go back to the school. Not sure though.

I’ve always been amazed (and disappointed) at how FEW of the plates I see on campus. Just this past basketball season, as I was walking from the parking deck to the SAC for a basketball game ,I couldn’t find one 49er plate on any of the staff’s cars outside of Halton Arena. :wacko:

They’re staff. I really don’t expect them to have the personal connection that alumni have. It’s a job. I am loyal to my company, but I am not about to advertise or put stickers on my car for it unless they’re paying me.

I like the top version best. I don’t have one of these, but I have a personalized NC rear plate with a NINER theme to it. When you see it, you know it’s me. I used to have “49’er” back in 1980, but I foolishly let it go during my wissle-ball malaise. After that I have had “UNCC 49” and “UNCC 1”. Anyway, I also have a NINER frame around it. On the front I have the pewter-look uncCharlotte tag with the crown logo. Sorry, I’m not partial to the pick logo even though I have 3 tee shirts and a cap with the pick on them.

I’m all for the the new logo plate. I am not one for old school. Maybe after our name changes we can get University of Charlotte on there, but…

When you get your next License Plate/Registration renewal notice (yearly one - not your driver’s license), go online to renew and click on the college plates option as you’re going through the process. My wife actually did that and surprised me with a new plate. I just barely missed getting 9049.

I just barely missed getting 9049.

Wow! I had no idea that we had that many plates out there. Like CWeb I was in the original group and it took several years to get the initial 300 to make the plates. I sent my check in and forgot that they had it. My understanding is that they reserved the first 50 numbers for people like the Chancellor, AD, etc (love to have #49), then issued them in the order people applied. I have a pretty low number and am kind of sentimental about it so I am stuck with the old Crown logo when I would like to have the new Pick logo. The DMV told me I would get a new plate number if I changed. I wonder if I could just put a decal over the plate? It probably isn’t worth time in the slammer.

[QUOTE=Nugget;169124]Wow! I had no idea that we had that many plates out there. Like CWeb I was in the original group and it took several years to get the initial 300 to make the plates. I sent my check in and forgot that they had it. My understanding is that they reserved the first 50 numbers for people like the Chancellor, AD, etc (love to have #49), then issued them in the order people applied. I have a pretty low number and am kind of sentimental about it so I am stuck with the old Crown logo when I would like to have the new Pick logo. The DMV told me I would get a new plate number if I changed. I wonder if I could just put a decal over the plate? It probably isn’t worth time in the slammer.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think the logo really means anything. There was talk at one point (by the alumni association) about putting stickers over the old logo for people who wanted the switch. The switch happened a lot sooner than planned though.

I’m not saying I like the older one better than the newer one. It just seems with all the identity problems that the University has, the newer license plate doesn’t help any. The newer plate needs the word “CHARLOTTE” somewhere on it.

The plates are great marketing tools for areas outside of Charlotte and as we drive to other states, but I’m not sure anyone, other than alumni recognize the “49ers” logo.

I agree with CWeb. Until we win a championship or make it really far in tournaments for several years, no one will know what the C-pick is. I personally love the uncCharlotte logo. Something about it looks very good. More collegic I suppose. The C-pick and Charlotte logos are good, but a little cartoony for me I suppose. I would much rather have the old one, or atleast have the uncCharlotte over the new 49ers design. Too bad you cant pick and choose.

I've always been amazed (and disappointed) at how FEW of the plates I see on campus. Just this past basketball season, as I was walking from the parking deck to the SAC for a basketball game ,I couldn't find one 49er plate on any of the staff's cars outside of Halton Arena. :wacko:

Why pay all that money for a license plate, what I can put a $5 sticker from the bookstore on my window? :shades:

[QUOTE=marcushe;169131]Why pay all that money for a license plate, what I can put a $5 sticker from the bookstore on my window? :shades:[/QUOTE]
Because $15 of the $25 fee is returned to UNC Charlotte for scholarships per NCDMV laws. Over $100,000 has been contributed to the Alumni Association scholarship endowment.

Some posters may have benefitted from this fund. To me it’s $25 well spent.

Agreed. Helps the school. I put my personalized one on last night and had numerous people stop and say something today.