Need advice on car I may buy

Need some advice if anyone has any for me…

Thinking of buying a relatives car. It’s a…

'06 Acura TL
36,500 miles
all the usual features plus Navigation.
4 year/50k mile bumper to bumper
6 year/70k mile power train

Any thoughts or opinions on the price or the car in general??? It would need about $800 of paint and 2 rear tires. I would be buying “as is” so I gotta add this to the cost basically.

I’ve looked at KBB and what other '06 Acura TL with same milage range are going for it seems to be a fair price. I did find like 1-3 cheaper in Georgie however but the color wasn’t really what I wanted and then traveling to get it or having it brought here would add to expense. I find prices of $16,000 - $24,000. Such a huge gap in prices.

You planning on having a mechanic look at it first?

Why does it need $800 in paint?

If being sold ‘as is’, ensure that the warranties transfer to you.

You planning on having a mechanic look at it first?
I took it to Honda dealership for their 100+ point inspection. Everything was fine but needs rear tires and suggested alignment.

[QUOTE=cibik02;405600]Need some advice if anyone has any for me…

Thinking of buying a relatives car. It’s a…

'06 Acura TL
36,500 miles
all the usual features plus Navigation.
4 year/50k mile bumper to bumper
6 year/70k mile power train

Any thoughts or opinions on the price or the car in general??? It would need about $800 of paint and 2 rear tires. I would be buying “as is” so I gotta add this to the cost basically.

I figured if I could get some prices from people on here of what others think is a good price and then I’ll post what the price is I would buy for.

I’ve looked at KBB and what other '06 Acura TL with same milage range are going for it seems to be a fair price. I did find like 1-3 cheaper in Georgie however but the color wasn’t really what I wanted and then traveling to get it or having it brought here would add to expense. I find prices of $16,000 - $24,000. Such a huge gap in prices.[/QUOTE]

Obviously your not buying this from a dealer? I would highly recommend checking with local dealers to see what they are selling certified pre-owned cars for. If you can pick one up off a lease, you can get dealer financing (lower than normal used car rates) and an extended warranty.

That being said I absolutely loved my TL. Saved my life too. Got hit by a large truck traveling 55 while i was stopped at a stop light and I walked away with no issues what so ever (other than a totaled car that is).

[QUOTE=VA49er;405604]You planning on having a mechanic look at it first?[/QUOTE]

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Why does it need $800 in paint?

If being sold ‘as is’, ensure that the warranties transfer to you.

The car hit a wall in a parking deck. My friend paints cars so he’s giving me good deal on price. Nothing major as far as body damge, just scraped the paint really.

Yea, def will make 100% sure the warranty transfers, but don’t sales by private parties (in this case family) always have the warranty transfer??? Is there ever a case where it won’t transfer if its the manufacturer warranty?

1,000 post!!! my posts are worth reading now! haha

That being said I absolutely loved my TL. Saved my life too. Got hit by a large truck traveling 55 while i was stopped at a stop light and I walked away with no issues what so ever (other than a totaled car that is).
you also walk away with a fat settlement check?

What year was your TL? You like the new body style, I think its '06-'08 ??? The '09 they changed the front, I don’t really like it as much I dont think.

[QUOTE=cibik02;405608]I took it to Honda dealership for their 100+ point inspection. Everything was fine but needs rear tires and suggested alignment.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Sometimes dealing financially with relatives can wind up being a royal pain in the a$$. KBB is a good source but you could always take it by CarMax and ask what they would give. Of course that would be the low end but it would give you some idea.

[QUOTE=cibik02;405625]you also walk away with a fat settlement check?

What year was your TL? You like the new body style, I think its '06-'08 ??? The '09 they changed the front, I don’t really like it as much I dont think.[/QUOTE]

I did actually. I bought this car back in 06, it was an 03 off a lease, and I got hit within a year of buying it…my luck. Luckily I had gotten such a good deal from my buddy buying the car that the check from insurance covered everything including my extended warranty I had added to the price of the car.

Unfortunately I got no other money because it was a hit and run, and in texas you have to be able to ID the driver of the car that hit you as well as the license plate. Considering I was completely unaware of my surroundings for the first 20 seconds after the crash, I could do no such thing.

I really like the old body style and was kind of not into the '06-'08 at first, but I really really grew into it. I agree the new front end is not as nice as the previous model. Still an awesome car though.

Acura is bombdiggity. Ranks best overall, better then Lexus/Toyota. Not only that, but if you get the warranty, they really take care of you. That is if you ever need to go. I needed to go get a noise fixed. Ever time I closed the door, there was a click noise. Ended up being a loose bolt but they were very nice out there.