Need Assistance - Any A/C techs or companies?

Hey Niners… I would have put this in the “Business Cards” forum, but I know that doesn’t get checked as often as “Ramblings”.

I am trying to see if I can find a reputable/dependable AC company that does business over in the Wadesboro/Rockingham area. My grandmother is 87 years old and my aunt lives with her in the house that my grandfather and grandmother built in the late 40s/early 50s. (let’s just say they don’t build them like that anymore!) The A/C unit is about 40 years old now, and with this heat, we have a feeling that is on it’s last leg and is no longer cooling the house as it should. My aunt mentioned this morning that they cannot get the house cooler than 80 degrees. It has been repaired and serviced so many times, it is no longer efficient, thus driving up the electricity bill too. So, to that end, my brothers and I, along with one of my mom’s cousins are going to chip in and get her a new AC unit(s).

Although we will do all the “shopping” we can, our concern is two fold:
1.) The length of time it will take someone to get out there to replace the unit(s).
2.) We may run into a bit of “price gouging” given the need during this heat.

While I understand this may be a fairly costly endeavor, I am just trying to find some “good guys” we can trust to do the work, do it right, and pay a fair cost for it, and not have to deal with an “opportunistic” operation looking to make an extra hundred bucks or whatever.

If anyone can provide any contacts for that type of work in that area, I would greatly appreciate it. You can e-mail me at work: jd.moore@wachovia.com.

Thanks

Angie’s List is your answer.

[QUOTE=jdm49er;252902]Hey Niners… I would have put this in the “Business Cards” forum, but I know that doesn’t get checked as often as “Ramblings”.

I am trying to see if I can find a reputable/dependable AC company that does business over in the Wadesboro/Rockingham area. My grandmother is 87 years old and my aunt lives with her in the house that my grandfather and grandmother built in the late 40s/early 50s. (let’s just say they don’t build them like that anymore!) The A/C unit is about 40 years old now, and with this heat, we have a feeling that is on it’s last leg and is no longer cooling the house as it should. My aunt mentioned this morning that they cannot get the house cooler than 80 degrees. It has been repaired and serviced so many times, it is no longer efficient, thus driving up the electricity bill too. So, to that end, my brothers and I, along with one of my mom’s cousins are going to chip in and get her a new AC unit(s).

Although we will do all the “shopping” we can, our concern is two fold:
1.) The length of time it will take someone to get out there to replace the unit(s).
2.) We may run into a bit of “price gouging” given the need during this heat.

While I understand this may be a fairly costly endeavor, I am just trying to find some “good guys” we can trust to do the work, do it right, and pay a fair cost for it, and not have to deal with an “opportunistic” operation looking to make an extra hundred bucks or whatever.

If anyone can provide any contacts for that type of work in that area, I would greatly appreciate it. You can e-mail me at work: jd.moore@wachovia.com.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I dont have any names for you…but what I will tell you is that there is probably nothing wrong with your grandmothers unit. With heat like this…it becomes nearly impossible to cool a house to under 80 unless you have a unit that is rated for something considerably larger than your square footage.

I’m dealing with the same thing right now. Hot as hell outside…my house is only 4 years old…but the unit cant keep up with the heat. Nothing you can do about it but buy a new unit (which is what I gather you are looking to do), and that is expensive as hell.

Good luck

Wow, I can’t believe a 40 year old air conditioner is still working at all.

Heating and air conditioning has been our family business for about 50 years. Now my 2 brothers run an A/C company: Sheridan Mechanical Contracting. I’ll email the number for you.

I live in Marshville, Byrum Heat and A/C may be able to service them. They are out of Marshville and I’ve had good luck with them. If you want good service and cheap prices try Ricky’s (Ricky Medlin, or Medlin) heating and Air. I’ve seen it listed different ways depending on the yellow pages you use. He’s great, very reasonable and who I used to use. The problem is he’s hard to get a hold of. So, I gave up trying to get him to come out and went with Byrum’s. They are a little more expensive, but you can get them when you need them.

I’m betting if you let Ricky know it’s a replacement instead of a patch job, you’ll get a better response as it means a bigger payday for him. As an example, the tray under our upstairs exchanger dry rotted and needed replacing. He and a couple of guys show up and do the exchange and I got out for under $100. But that’s nothing like what you’re looking at to do a new system.

fwiw, i’ve got a fairly new AC unit on my house and its hovering at 77-79 with this heat, even though its running almost nonstop.