New Article: Dubois on light rail, campus issues...

[QUOTE=Noreaster;190810]Gangs have cars. Light rail has cameras. If you are going to rob someone, will you get in your car or hop on light rail and have your photo taken? I can’t picture a gang of 15 year olds hopping on the light rail with a tv, stereo, various wallets, and Gill’s lollipop. I just don’t see it.

And in Charlotte, they aren’t inner city gangs. They are more like inner ring suburban gangs. Inner city is too expensive for most gang members.[/QUOTE]
Dam Noreaster, how about you over analyze the joke why don’t you…

Apologies, Portland State has a streetcar, not light rail (the street car connects to light rail).

Dam Noreaster, how about you over analyze the joke why don't you...

Sorry…i have a tendency to do that. Work sucks my sense of humor out until about 6 o’clock. I’ll stop posting during the day.:hammer:

[QUOTE=Noreaster;190818]Sorry…i have a tendency to do that. Work sucks my sense of humor out until about 6 o’clock. I’ll stop posting during the day.:hammer:[/QUOTE]
It’s alright. I’d make a comment about you posting at work, but I can’t say nothing.

Northeast Line looks to be the next leg of light rail. Could be completed by 2013 (yeah right) and will cost an extimated 740 million (if it stays under 800 i will be shocked).

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/15850479.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/15850479.htm[/URL]

Are they talking about the Fantasy Light Rail system???

Students and alumni have been clamoring for light rail for a long time. But in the grand scheme of things, our group is a small but vocal minority.

Remember people if you want light rail simply click here: [COLOR=#004c26]charlotte49erlightrail@yahoo.com[/COLOR] or send me a PM and tell me the following:

1. Who you are, contact info, grad yr.?
  2. How much you would contribute to the start up of light rail (Keeping in mind you will need to actually come up with this money in 2013)?
  3. How much would you contribute yearly(above and beyond, what you already give.)?
  4. How many rail passes would you buy?

And please send a email out to every niner you know.

So far, Count Chocula, the Easter Bunny, and Garfield have signed up and pledged $500,000 in fantasy money, bought 10 rail passes for a train line that does not yet exist, and they have also donated one “Get out of jail free” card.

Are they talking about the Fantasy Light Rail system???

I like the light rail coming to campus next. It will finally provide the connection to downtown that the university needs. It will also make it easier for students to get to the football games at Memorial and to class at the Uptown campus. When we build our own stadium, people will be able to take the light rail from Pineville to campus for the games. It will make it easier for people to come to basketball games, too. All those people that work downtown will only need to hop on the train from work, watch the game, take the train back, and get in their cars to drive home. No worrying about parking, traffic, etc. Sweet.

Students and alumni have been clamoring for light rail for a long time. But in the grand scheme of things, our group is a small but vocal minority.

Remember people if you want light rail simply click here: [COLOR=#004c26]charlotte49erlightrail@yahoo.com[/COLOR] or send me a PM and tell me the following:

1. Who you are, contact info, grad yr.?
  2. How much you would contribute to the start up of light rail (Keeping in mind you will need to actually come up with this money in 2013)?
  3. How much would you contribute yearly(above and beyond, what you already give.)?
  4. How many rail passes would you buy?

And please send a email out to every niner you know.

Check your PMs.

Yaaa!!! Its gonna be easier for us to go down to bars in uptown, get piss drunk, come back with wierdo’s following us and then get raped!

Hurray for drinking!

i dont know whats funnier surviors new email post or j johnson jameson’s

HAHAHA, i am seriously laughing out loud right now.

So far, Count Chocula, the Easter Bunny, and Garfield have signed up and pledged $500,000 in fantasy money, bought 10 rail passes for a train line that does not yet exist, and they have also donated one "Get out of jail free" card.

Yeah, Count Chocula has that big mansion… he’s loaded.

We need more corporate support. We should contact Willy Wonka… you know that chocolate factory rakes in some serious dough.

Dubois said that light rail will take close calculations and scrutiny, so make sure these guys are reall, not a fantasy. I mean they aren’t donating something simple like an average of 300 bucks. 500 g’s is pretty skeptical.

i dont know whats funnier surviors new email post or j johnson jameson's

HAHAHA, i am seriously laughing out loud right now.

It’s no laughing matter. The administration keeps fighting us on this issue.

The administration has said that if we want light rail, students and alumni have to take the lead. They argue against light rail due to the costs involved and they say that a city the size of Charlotte simply won’t support light rail enough for it to be profitable. We have to move up to heavy-duty rail as soon as possible.

Another problem is apathy. If the school can’t fill it’s shuttle buses to capacity, then how can we possibly expect light rail to work?

We’ve tried to show examples where light rail has cleary made the city more beautiful and more desirable to live. Places like Newark, New Jersey. But every time we show that light rail will only cost a few hundred million dollars, the administration counters that we are not factoring all the costs involved - the school will wind up losing several billion dollars. Where do they come up with these figures?

Another thing to consider is that we lack a train yard. Building a campus train yard will cost more money than potential donors are willing to spend.

Not only do we have to fight the administration, but students at the University Times and the SGA have also joined in the fight against light rail. They say that, while they would like light rail, we simply can’t afford it right now. They think the money should be spent on research instead.

It’s getting ridiculous that a school our size can’t have light rail. That’s why I’m starting a make-believe website to collect fantasy money from fictional characters. It is only after we raise enough fantasy money that light rail will finally happen…

i will buy a tshirt

[QUOTE=ninerID;190779]ahhh portland state, just what i have longed for!

As for making money, what about public transportation. What an absolute joke if you are trying to say it will make money. All but 1 public transportation system in the entire country is deep in the red.[/QUOTE]

remember, Dubois is a Berkely guy…

[QUOTE=survivor45;194692]So far, Count Chocula, the Easter Bunny, and Garfield have signed up and pledged $500,000 in fantasy money, bought 10 rail passes for a train line that does not yet exist, and they have also donated one “Get out of jail free” card.[/QUOTE]

your guys have no respect…

look boss, “zee plane, zee plane”

remember, Dubois is a Berkely guy.....

actually, UC-Davis, I think… note the hyphen in the school name. He’s obviously used to the situation we’re in now, so I guess it doesn’t bother him much.

[QUOTE=Noreaster;190750]The Chancellor makes great points. Light rail will do wonders for development, congestion, etc. in University City. It will attract large amounts of investment in UC like it has along the future North Corridor to Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson. I don’t think its a stretch to believe that much of the scattered, disconnected development will be brought together. The area will become much more attractive and accessible to students because the development will be much more dense. It will encourage students to live on campus (and stay on weekends) because it will be much easier to travel to the various amenities throughout the city. No more bus transfers, cabs, etc. to get where you want to go. Now I just hope that City council and the rest of the municipalities listen.

This isn’t about now. This isn’t about 5 years from now. It’s about 30 years from now. Planning ahead makes great cities. Catching up makes Detroit.[/QUOTE]

when I go to Atlanta every month, I really admire the density MARTA gives to the city…