New Article: Dubois on light rail, campus issues...

From [URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/15673173.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/15673173.htm[/URL]

[B]Let’s stay on track with light rail project[/B]

[B]This is not the time to set our vision aside or to lose our nerve[/B]

[B]PHILIP L. DUBOIS[/B]

[B]Special to the Observer[/B]

Elected officials charged with the responsibility of overseeing the expenditure of taxpayer dollars on large public works projects are dutifully concerned whenever actual costs run ahead of projections. And although anyone with any experience in construction of any kind has learned to expect cost escalations, citizens also understand the concerns of public officials who feel they have not received the kind of timely, relevant and realistic information needed to exercise proper oversight.
Yet the recent local history of Charlotte’s attempt to build the first leg of its light rail system also demonstrates how important it is to remind ourselves – and our elected representatives – of that old saying about not throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Communication between the city’s staff and the City Council can and should be improved. But our public discourse about light rail must also be more mature.

[B]Long-term investment[/B]
We cannot afford to view light rail simply as a cost; we must see it for the long-term investment it represents in the future of this community. It is not solely about transportation; it is also about economic redevelopment. It cannot be viewed only as one of the city’s largest financial burdens; it is, in fact, one of its greatest opportunities. This is not the time to set our vision aside or to lose our nerve.When I returned to Charlotte last summer to accept the opportunity to become UNC Charlotte’s fourth chancellor, I was excited to see what the university had become during my eight years away in Wyoming. I was equally disappointed to see what had become of University City – a patchwork of “big box” development, congested four- and six-lane thoroughfares, and shrinking green space.
Indeed, notwithstanding the new academic programs and research accomplishments that have fueled the university’s growing reputation, rapid growth and poor planning in University City have left the campus sitting as an island in a pond of gas-guzzling crocodiles.
The challenges threaten to impair the very character of the campus itself, with discussions of our potential value to the region’s economic, social and cultural development too often replaced by concerns about parking, congestion and crime in deteriorating neighborhoods along our borders.
It is for these reasons that the university has launched a series of important initiatives to review campus access and circulation patterns, the potential for mixed use development that might help us more closely integrate the campus with University Place across N.C. 29, and to assess neighborhood redevelopment opportunities. With excellent cooperation from Ron Tober and CATS, we have also launched a campus shuttle service to take advantage of the existing but often vacant parking spaces that exist on the periphery of the core campus.

[B]Access to higher education[/B]
But nothing could be more important to our long-term future than light rail, and this is why I have supported the notion that any northeast corridor development for light rail must also directly serve the UNC Charlotte campus.
Rational people experiencing any Charlotte area highway at peak hours likely grasp that we need alternatives to more cars, more roads. Build more roads and they do come!
Light rail holds tremendous potential to deliver faculty, staff and students to our campus without their vehicles. Light rail will knit together the main campus and our new $45.8 million Center City facility at the corner of Ninth and Brevard. And light rail will provide new access to higher education (and great college basketball games and cultural events) for anyone who may board at a South Boulevard station bound for either UNC Charlotte in the Center City or the main campus.
As important as light rail will be to addressing Charlotte’s transportation challenges, its more significant implications may be for economic development and public finance. It doesn’t take a Ph.D. in economics to realize that the amount and quality of tax-generating private sector development adjacent to the South Boulevard light rail corridor holds fantastic potential both for the renewal of economically distressed neighborhoods and replenishment of the city’s coffers.

[B]Economic boost for corridor[/B]
Take a simple drive along light rail’s projected route on the economically dreary North Tryon Street from Center City to University Place. This is the “before” picture. South End is the “after” picture. The opportunities for economic redevelopment along the northeast corridor route will, in time, substantially surpass the cost of the city’s investment in the light rail infrastructure.
I could be wrong, but I doubt that any city has ever built a light rail system with just one leg. Metaphorically, politically, and otherwise, we’re at a tipping point. Let’s keep light rail on track.

Long-term investment
We cannot afford to view FOOTBALL simply as a cost; we must see it for the long-term investment it represents in the future of this UNIVERSITY. It is not solely about FOOTBALL; it is also about economic redevelopment. It cannot be viewed only as one of the SCHOOL’S largest financial burdens; it is, in fact, one of its greatest opportunities. This is not the time to set our vision aside or to lose our nerve.

sounds pretty good with a football spin.

Long-term investment We cannot afford to view FOOTBALL simply as a cost; we must see it for the long-term investment it represents in the future of this UNIVERSITY. It is not solely about FOOTBALL; it is also about economic redevelopment. It cannot be viewed only as one of the SCHOOL'S largest financial burdens; it is, in fact, one of its greatest opportunities. This is not the time to set our vision aside or to lose our nerve.

sounds pretty good with a football spin.

That gave me chills…

i read the same article the EXACT same way.

The Chancellor makes great points. Light rail will do wonders for development, congestion, etc. in University City. It will attract large amounts of investment in UC like it has along the future North Corridor to Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson. I don’t think its a stretch to believe that much of the scattered, disconnected development will be brought together. The area will become much more attractive and accessible to students because the development will be much more dense. It will encourage students to live on campus (and stay on weekends) because it will be much easier to travel to the various amenities throughout the city. No more bus transfers, cabs, etc. to get where you want to go. Now I just hope that City council and the rest of the municipalities listen.

This isn’t about now. This isn’t about 5 years from now. It’s about 30 years from now. Planning ahead makes great cities. Catching up makes Detroit.

[QUOTE=Noreaster;190750]The Chancellor makes great points. Light rail will do wonders for development, congestion, etc. in University City. It will attract large amounts of investment in UC like it has along the future North Corridor to Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson. I don’t think its a stretch to believe that much of the scattered, disconnected development will be brought together. The area will become much more attractive and accessible to students because the development will be much more dense. It will encourage students to live on campus (and stay on weekends) because it will be much easier to travel to the various amenities throughout the city. No more bus transfers, cabs, etc. to get where you want to go. Now I just hope that City council and the rest of the municipalities listen.

This isn’t about now. This isn’t about 5 years from now. It’s about 30 years from now. Planning ahead makes great cities. Catching up makes Detroit.[/QUOTE]

I agree, they just need to do away with the halfassed plan of rail lines some directions and the bus in other directions. If they really want to make this thing work they need all the surrounding counties to chip in on the cost and extend the rail lines in all the logical directions, not just a few. Part of the reason they are catching flak is that they claim the rail line will generate development, but then they don’t run it to the airport through west Charlotte. I ask you… what area of Charlotte needs development more than west Charlotte?

I agree, they just need to do away with the halfassed plan of rail lines some directions and the bus in other directions. If they really want to make this thing work they need all the surrounding counties to chip in on the cost and extend the rail lines in all the logical directions, not just a few. Part of the reason they are catching flak is that they claim the rail line will generate development, but then they don't run it to the airport through west Charlotte. I ask you... what area of Charlotte needs development more than west Charlotte?

I agree that that is totally retarded. There is no reason to not take the rail line to the airport. Everytime I fly into a city that has rail to the airport, I take it. It gives me a chance to relax after flying rather than trying to chat with a smelly cabby with a thick accent. But I digress. The west line is flawed completely. But they can’t run it to the airport because the anticipated 5-year ridership numbers wouldn’t qualify it for federal assistance. The city would be on its own.

The North line through Huntersville et al has a proposal for developers to help pay for part of it so they can move forward with their hundred-million-dollar projects. The U City line is one of few that would actually generate enough riders in a 5 year span to qualify for federal funding. The East line along INdependence/Monroe Rd (where I live) is pegged as a possible bus line because the land acquisition costs are astronomical, then you have to pay to lay down 15 miles of rail, which is getting more expensive by the day.

i am not a fan of light rail going through the middle of campus. It won’t look nice, and it will only increase crime. I do like it running close to campus, but not through it.

Chancellor Dubois now has a lengthy email from me comparing this article to football, and my commentary as is appropriate.

i am not a fan of light rail going through the middle of campus. It won't look nice, and it will only increase crime. I do like it running close to campus, but not through it.

Running it through campus will increase ridership. If you live in Hunt Club or the aparment complex on Shalome Church Rd., you might be more inclined to ride the rail if you could get off at a station that is closer than the parking lot is to your class. If you have to walk from the edge of campus, which is def. farther than the parking lot, you probably wouldn’t ride it. In order to obtain funding, they have to be able to establish reasonable ridership expectations that meet certain goals laid out by the FTA. If they don’t meet the requirements, they don’t get any money. Then guess what happens…

Chancellor Dubois now has a lengthy email from me comparing this article to football, and my commentary as is appropriate.

I know it was a polite email right?

“i am not a fan of light rail going through the middle of campus. It won’t look nice, and it will only increase crime. I do like it running close to campus, but not through it.” Check out Portland State before jumping to false conclusions.

As for football, I don’t think it can pass the economic litmus test. Research (see Rosentraub, who will be on campus in a few weeks) suggests that pro stadiums and teams, for instance, are economic losers. Do they have other benefits? Yes. But on the whole, they rarely make money. From what I’ve read about collegiate football programs, the same is true.

"i am not a fan of light rail going through the middle of campus. It won't look nice, and it will only increase crime. I do like it running close to campus, but not through it." Check out Portland State before jumping to false conclusions.

As for football, I don’t think it can pass the economic litmus test. Research (see Rosentraub, who will be on campus in a few weeks) suggests that pro stadiums and teams, for instance, are economic losers. Do they have other benefits? Yes. But on the whole, they rarely make money. From what I’ve read about collegiate football programs, the same is true.

ahhh portland state, just what i have longed for!

As for making money, what about public transportation. What an absolute joke if you are trying to say it will make money. All but 1 public transportation system in the entire country is deep in the red.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;190771]I know it was a polite email right?[/QUOTE]
Same thing running through my head. I’m not sure he’s made any comments that would merit an accusation…

ahhh portland state, just what i have longed for!

As for making money, what about public transportation. What an absolute joke if you are trying to say it will make money. All but 1 public transportation system in the entire country is deep in the red.

The purpose of public transportation is not to make money, though that would be nice. Some main purposes include reducing pollution and congestion, providing alternative means of transportation, etc. Without public transportation, most cities would not be able to meet the air pollution attainment levels necessary to recieve federal transportation money, which is used to build and maintain roads. Can you imagine how bad the roads would be if only the city was responsible for paying for them? Potholes everywhere, no interstate improvements, no improvements to US highways in the region, etc. The purposes are many, and the economic setback for running the system makes up for itself in federal funding for other transportation projects.

Basically, if Charlotte doesn’t reach its attainment goals by the end of next year, 485 doesn’t get completed or improved. 485, 77, and 85 don’t get widened, fixed, or anything else…just a thought.

The purpose of public transportation is not to make money, though that would be nice. Some main purposes include reducing pollution and congestion, providing alternative means of transportation, etc. Without public transportation, most cities would not be able to meet the air pollution attainment levels necessary to recieve federal transportation money, which is used to build and maintain roads. Can you imagine how bad the roads would be if only the city was responsible for paying for them? Potholes everywhere, no interstate improvements, no improvements to US highways in the region, etc. The purposes are many, and the economic setback for running the system makes up for itself in federal funding for other transportation projects.

Basically, if Charlotte doesn’t reach its attainment goals by the end of next year, 485 doesn’t get completed or improved. 485, 77, and 85 don’t get widened, fixed, or anything else…just a thought.

i know, i was just replying to the argument of football doesnt make money.

[QUOTE=ninerID;190759]i am not a fan of light rail going through the middle of campus. It won’t look nice, and it will only increase crime. I do like it running close to campus, but not through it.[/QUOTE]
I agree. If they coordinate it’s stop with the on-campus shuttles, then it would work well I think. But no, not through campus.

i am not a fan of light rail going through the middle of campus. It won't look nice, and it will only increase crime. I do like it running close to campus, but not through it.

Somehow I don’t think hooligans will all of a sudden go, “Hey, public transportation stops in Charlotte Campus. We should take public transportation there, mug someone, and take public transportation back.” Especially since most college students carry the equivalent in cash of anyone on North Tryon.

If you want to get rid of crime, bulldoze EVERY apartment, condo, and chain store in a 2 mile area. Then build a new University City under a new master plan.

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;190804]Somehow I don’t think hooligans will all of a sudden go, “Hey, public transportation stops in Charlotte Campus. We should take public transportation there, mug someone, and take public transportation back.” Especially since most college students carry the equivalent in cash of anyone on North Tryon.

If you want to get rid of crime, bulldoze EVERY apartment, condo, and chain store in a 2 mile area. Then build a new University City under a new master plan.[/QUOTE]
Guy I used to work with said: “The light rail system, bringing Charlotte’s inner city gangs to South Charlotte” LOL

Guy I used to work with said: "The light rail system, bringing Charlotte's inner city gangs to South Charlotte" LOL

Gangs have cars. Light rail has cameras. If you are going to rob someone, will you get in your car or hop on light rail and have your photo taken? I can’t picture a gang of 15 year olds hopping on the light rail with a tv, stereo, various wallets, and Gill’s lollipop. I just don’t see it.

And in Charlotte, they aren’t inner city gangs. They are more like inner ring suburban gangs. Inner city is too expensive for most gang members.