New Bobcat logos ??

[QUOTE=dax;316483]the fans voted for the name of our team so you really can’t complain silvio. bobcats also goes with the “cat” theme we have with our professional sports.[/QUOTE]

I thought the fans voted for the Charlotte Flight and Bobcat Johnson went with Bocats instead.

i’m pretty sure they voted for bobcats. flight was a close second.

charlotte flight sounds like a wnba team

I don’t remember there being any kind of voting at all, though I am so apathetic about the NBA nowadays that I probably just didn’t even notice.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;316531]I don’t remember there being any kind of voting at all, though I am so apathetic about the NBA nowadays that I probably just didn’t even notice.[/QUOTE]

[B]In June 2003, the new team was named the Bobcats.[9] Bobcats, along with Charlotte Flight and Charlotte Dragons were the top three choices as voted by fans.[/B][9] The Charlotte Regional Sports Commission aided with the “Help Name The Team” effort that drew over 1,250 suggestions. The bobcat is one of the few indigenous predators to the Carolinas.[9] Charlotte, already being home to the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, made the cat-related name a natural choice for the area’s new basketball team. The name is also a nod to owner Robert L. Johnson, “Bob” being an abbreviation of "Robert."
One of the ironies in the formation of the franchise was the fact that despite failed attempts at the ballot box to fully fund a new arena downtown, city politicians decided to go ahead with plans and implemented a hotel and leisure tax in Charlotte to help pay for it.[10][11] George Shinn, owner of the Hornets, also wanted the city of Charlotte to pay for a new arena, and subsequently left town for New Orleans when the city failed to do so.

Sidenote: I think the Bullets changing their name was the stupidest thing they could have possibly done. That is such a cool name for a basketball team, especially one in DC. It makes historical sense (the war history of our nations capital) and it also makes basketball sense (bullets = fast). Why in the world they decided to go with Wizards I'll never know.

I grew up in DC and still remember the name change controversy.

I agree with the fact that Bullets was a great and historic name, but DC had a national reputation for being one of the deadliest cities in the United States. Every night, a “shooting in DC” was on the nightly news. And along with that, a ball team with the name “Bullets”…it was just bad PR. Imagine being a mayor trying to promote your city with the highest homicide rate in the country and a basketball team called the Bullets. But after everything, they went with the Wizards (which people complained about since “Wizard” is a rank in the KKK). People are so stupid. They’ll whine about anything. Nevertheless, they’re the Wizards now.