New NCAA Rule

Was anyone else away of a new NCAA rule that if you hire a coach from a HS (head or assistant) or AAU program that you can’t recruit a player from that HS or AAU program for 2 years?

Seems like an about time sort of rule.

Thoughts?

What happens if the player transfers to another High School are they then able to recruit them? NCAA coaches will always find a loophole in every rule.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:1, topic:23179”]Was anyone else away of a new NCAA rule that if you hire a coach from a HS (head or assistant) or AAU program that you can’t recruit a player from that HS or AAU program for 2 years?

Thoughts?[/quote]

It was a part of the rule they passed last year about hiring a family member (USC) on staff.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:1, topic:23179”]Was anyone else away of a new NCAA rule that if you hire a coach from a HS (head or assistant) or AAU program that you can’t recruit a player from that HS or AAU program for 2 years?

Thoughts?[/quote]

USC brought the rule to the spotlight when they had 5 basketball players that had relatives and/or friends that were hired as coaches or as athletic department staff. Under their university policy, children of USC employees got free scholarships to attend the university. Thus, they were not having to use an athletic scholarship for those players, as they were considered walk-on’s. It was long overdue. Dajuan Wagner’s crap at Memphis was the most recent high profile example, but it’s been going on for years.

Oh, I thought it was only for assistant coaches and not for things like Director of Basketball Operation or other type jobs.

The player still attended/played at said high school, so that would still mean that they could not recruit him inside that 2-year window. If nothing else, it will raise a flag when universities hire a parent/relative/friend of a recruit.

I’m pretty sure it covers any position at a university. Otherwise, the schools that try to get around it would hire them as a janitor or some other made up title in order to get them there. One of the USC players’ friend/relative was hired as an Asst. Strength & Conditioning coach. That report was featured on E:60 or OTL. I’ll see if I can find it online.

Haven’t found the video yet, but here is a blog preview report that ran about USC’s “package deals”:

http://usc.freedomblogging.com/2009/02/19/usc-basketball-espn-investigates-package-deals/10543/

Here’s the OTL story and accompanying video from Feb 2009:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2586464